Search results

1. Emmbee

Super Heresy version 3.0!

ALK is no longer doing Forte crossovers at all. I'm hoping the search function comes back soon as I know someone posted a copy of the forte II ALK crossover design at one point. Those aforementioned tweeters are a significant upgrade on the Fortes? Better than just getting the titanium...
  2. Emmbee

No, not yet.
  3. Emmbee

The reason I compared sizes is the stock Heresys seemed to image noticeably better for me. While the fortes "sound" better they don't image worth a damn in my room no matter how I move them around. My room is only 9' by 13'. I'm using a Scott 299A tube amp. I'd like to redo the crossovers on...
  4. Emmbee

I have Forte IIs, but they are a bit big for my small listening room. I have a pair of H1s I'm not currently using. The Heresy will fit better but will the SH3 mod be more of a lateral move than an upgrade from the fortes? I'm sort of guessing so.
  5. Emmbee

Hidden Treasure: Bringing Out The Very Best of Dynaco's SCA-35

Thanks Dave! The switch is original and does not appear damaged and seems to work normally in all other aspects. Perhaps the ground is off from when the previous owner installed the new boards.. The shields I was testing were from my Scott 299 and the lock onto the base and are likely considered...
  6. Emmbee

A couple of questions regarding my "new to me" SCA: Regarding grounded tube shields for the preamp tubes. My SCA has Dave's upgraded boards and it appears tube shields could easily touch against the exposed tube socket pins where they are soldered to the board or other solder points. This seems...
  7. Emmbee

Hello Dave, I've just acquired a SCA-35 upgraded with all of your boards from a friend. It was actually originally owned by the owner of 11th Ave Audio in Brooklyn. I am astounded by it's sound! While my Scott 299A is undoubtedly prettier, this little Dynaco outperforms it. In it's current...
  8. Emmbee

Hum in Scott 299 Phono Stage Solved

I've had a recapped and refurbished Scott 299A as my main for years. I've also been bedeviled for many years by a persistent phono stage hum that was present with most quality vintage tubes but rarely with quality "modern" tubes (i.e. Gold Lions) It was driving me nuts as I much prefer the sound...
  9. Emmbee

New addition a set of a/d/s Sat-6 speakers

I have a set I just picked up. Beautiful but a pain to jumper if you are not bi-amping.
  10. Emmbee

Need Help: Pioneer PL-A45D

Does regular sewing machine oil work for the lube points? Also, the sound is a bit intermittent as the needle drops and sometimes the the auto return doesn’t engage and the needle sometimes skates to the spindle. I assume the innards need the usual cleaning and lubing.
  11. Emmbee

Signet TK10ML cartridge.

Did you ever get the TK10ML retipped? I have one that I'm considering getting done.
  12. Emmbee

HH Scott Owners Thread

Hey 299 folks. What 12AX7's are you using in your pre stage? I've tested RCA, Baldwins, Gold Lions and some somewhat tired telefunkens plus some unlabeled ones that sound great but are starting to hum. The phono stage seems the hardest to get that "just right" sound. I'm ready to pull the...
  13. Emmbee

Old beat up Heresy Is beat my KG 4.2s

So, some time has past and I have to say I've never been quite happy with my Forte IIs. By every metric they are a superior speaker, but in my small room they just never sounded right. I've acquired some 70's Heresies with original oil caps and they are going to go back in the space and I'll see...
  14. Emmbee

Scott 299A Power Transformer Died!

Heyboer definitely seems the way to go. I intend to contact them tomorrow.
  15. Emmbee

I have a very trustworthy and very experienced tech who assures me the PT is bad.
  16. Emmbee

I was tube rolling the phono preamp tubes (with tubes I know are good and have listened to previously). I turned it on and there was a blue flash from underneath and then nothing. The End. It's my daily driver and is listened to regularly.
  17. Emmbee

So the power transformer is toast on my beloved 299A. Are there modern replacements available? I understand they can be rewound too. Any recommendations? Also, are any other Scott models transformers compatible? Would a used one be too much of a risk due to age?
  18. Emmbee

Three Classic Tables that Need Work: Fix or Sell All and Get Something New?

I'm 53 and have never owned a "new" turntable, nor any "new" piece of equipment. Part of me yearns for the simplicity of a modern medium-high end table, but my heart is in vintage. I have a Scott 299a as my main. The Garrard will match nicely with it. I own a small record shop that carries...
  19. Emmbee

The AT-1100 is the straight arm low mass version. The Head shell on the SME is slightly loose and it twisted slightly when changing carts. How on earth, other than eyeballing it, can i get it exactly true again?
  20. Emmbee

Thanks all! The Garrard was my top choice too, though I expected recommendations for the Linn. The fixed headshell is a pain and I think I'll try the Audio Technica arm on it. I'm researching grease type for the spindle and that seems a bit of a rabbit hole.
  21. Emmbee

The tonearm for the Garrard is a 3009 with the fixed headshell.
  22. Emmbee

Hey folks. I find myself in an unusual situation. I have three Turntables many folks would love to own, but they all have issues and require money, time and effort to be up to snuff. Several are quite valuable and I could sell them as-is for a tidy price and invest the return in a quality...
  23. Emmbee

Listening room to small for my Forte IIs

After some extended listening, I've come to the unhappy conclusion that my Fortes are to big for my room. I have a small 9' by 15' listening room and I just can't get the Fortes to image well at all. The Heresy's I owned previously had a great soundstage. I upgraded the mids to titanium and that...
  24. Emmbee

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Just luckily happened on to an original 301 with a SME 3009 mkii fixed head with a good V15 III cart in good functioning shape. All I can say is WOW! It's mounted on a board with no plinth. I'm guessing it came from a cabinet of sorts. As is it sounds pretty stunning! I'm looking for a basic...
  25. Emmbee

Old beat up Heresy Is beat my KG 4.2s

I have moved on to Forte IIs and am planning on recapping those too. It certainly looks to be more of a challenge than the open layout of the Heresy crossovers.
Back
Top Bottom