Search results

1. 2ndAndGoal

The BEST car song not recorded by the Beach Boys

Beastie Boys "Sabotage" and Motley Crue "Kickstart My Heart" are the two best top-down driving songs of all time. :rockon:
  2. 2ndAndGoal

Sansui 4000 recap in Ma?

Check out Audio Lab in Cambridge. Victor is a fantastic tech!
  3. 2ndAndGoal

The New IKEA Nornas

I'd strongly suggest reinforcing those shelves. When the short shelves are vertical (i.e., in the vertical model), you've got plenty of support, as the weight-bearing surface is one piece, supported by a full shelf in the middle, which is more than strong enough to take the weight. In this...
  4. 2ndAndGoal

Winter speaker projects.

Nice pickup! I've got more speaker projects than I know what to do with at the moment. Just picked up two pair of Large Advents with the utility cabs. Need to be refoamed. Probably going to upgrade the caps in the crossovers and replace the vinyl with a nice wood veneer. My other project is...
  5. 2ndAndGoal

7070 Left Channel Cutting Out

What John said. I've had that problem with two AU-517's, an AU-717, and several non-Sansui amps that have come through my collection, and a good cleaning has cleared up the problem on all but a couple. It's always a good place to start before looking for more trouble that may or may not exist.
  6. 2ndAndGoal

Are these worth anything?

Grab it if you know a college or high school age kid that you really don't like all that much, but you're obligated to give them a Christmas gift. In all seriousness, you'd never flip it. Waste of gas to go pick it up.
  7. 2ndAndGoal

I've been way out of the loop and need advice/suggestions

A DAC is actually a separate component that you can run through an amplifier/receiver, usually over unbalanced (RCA) or balanced outputs... don't necessarily know that "DAC-ready" is a proper term. Don't know anything at all about Emotiva's one way or the other, though at that price point, I'd...
  8. 2ndAndGoal

Internet music on my vintage reciever?

I've been using the RCA to 3.5MM jacks for years... the one problem I've found with them, particularly hooking up to my phone with a streaming service like Sirius XM or Pandora, is that the input signal is very weak. Depending on the amp, it's not too hard to make up for that, but then you wind...
  9. 2ndAndGoal

I've been way out of the loop and need advice/suggestions

I'd tend to agree with Joe. Really good two channel separates/amp/receiver with quality speakers and quality input sources, set up properly for the room, will give you superb stereo imaging, and a soundstage that will make surround sound completely irrelevant. If you're primarily interested in...
  10. 2ndAndGoal

Sansui CA-F1 Pre Amplifier?

You're better off looking at the CA series than the C series (and at the BA series of power amps vs. the B series). The C series are nice amps, but they're basically budget cut CA's. The C's used more IC's than the CA's did, and a lot of them are difficult and expensive to find and replace in...
  11. 2ndAndGoal

Sansui AU-717 dead channel

What dr*audio said... I had the exact same problem with one of my AU-717's and both of my AU-517's. In one case, it was the balance control needing to be cleaned. In the other two cases, it was because of buildup on the speaker selector switch. All three amps had been sitting unused for quite...
  12. 2ndAndGoal

R.E.M. Discussion

I first got exposed to them in 1987 while I was in basic training. I practically wore out copies of Life's Rich Pageant and Fables that summer/fall. Have been a huge fan ever since. Like their newer stuff, love their older stuff. Would agree with SA-708, they definitely took a step backward when...
  13. 2ndAndGoal

U-Turn Orbit now available with built-in Pluto preamp

Mars Records down in Plymouth is also a dealer. Nice that they're going beyond just the big name stores as dealers.
  14. 2ndAndGoal

the sorry state of hifi today

While modern hifi will likely be beyond most of their means, there is a growing segment of today's youth that is appreciating vinyl as a higher quality media than mp3's, and is spending money on decent equipment to listen to it. I've personally helped half a dozen kids in their late teens to...
  15. 2ndAndGoal

AK Tech in the New Hamphsire area.

Not sure how far you are from Cambridge, but AudioLab is highly recommended.
  16. 2ndAndGoal

AU-717 and TU-717 recently purchased

Be careful about running all 4 speakers at once - it can tax the amp. The 717 is a powerful beast, but it does have its limits. Though listening and sound is a purely personal thing, you should be able to get fantastic (and accurate) sound from the 717 with the tone defeat on. If you've got...
Back
Top Bottom