Search results

1. SudoSpencer

Where to Measure Philips 212 Voltage

I have a Philips 212. I'm trying to work through the service manual. I'm more a mechanical than electrical person, but I can solder, and have a multi-meter. In reading the instructions it says. 1. In position "stop" the supply voltage must be -9v in regard to the chassis. Can someone explain...
  2. SudoSpencer

Simple Console Modification Question

I have an older Zenith all in one Console that I'm looking to replace the turntable in. I understand splicing the audio wires in it and pulling the old turntable out, BUT, before I start I have a question. The old system seems to have a power override built into the turntable. AKA when you...
  3. SudoSpencer

HELP! Need to Identify this Cartridge and NEEDLE! Old RCA Turntable

Hey everyone. So I have an RCA Turntable that is model RK326J. I pulled the cartridge from it and it looks like the attached photos. It says RCA and 207 on it via bumped up letters. IT says 2 and 324 or 32A on it in print. I found an Astatic 325D which is really close to it on...
  4. SudoSpencer

Identify Capacitor Info?

I'm working on a vintage Grommes 503 Receiver and came across these capacitors. I assume they are 250ufd and 15v, but could it be the other way around? I can't find a manual or schematic anywhere. On another note the problem it is having is a hum, and no sound on 1 channel no matter the...
  5. SudoSpencer

Opinions: Safe to run 4 Speakers through Dynakit ST70

I have a Dynakit ST70, fully refurbed, new tubes, all capacitors replaced, majority of resistors replaced, new quad cap, selenium rectifier replaced. Sounds great. I have a speaker switch and was hoping to run 4 speakers (all 8 ohm) through it at once. Does this sound safe? Just not sure how the...
  6. SudoSpencer

Cut Wires on Dynakit Stereo 70? Ideas?

I got a used Stereo 70 the other day. Haven't fired it up yet because I plan to refurbish it yet, selenium rectifier, capacitors, and any resistors out of spec. While inspecting it though I found this: Looks like someone clipped these wires intentionally. Any idea on why this would have been...
  7. SudoSpencer

Bulge on Mcintosh / Cornell-Dubilier Can Caps

I just replaced the 3 can capacitors on a MAC 1500, and didn't notice until I pulled the 3 that they all appear to have a bulge in them. This bulge I would assume is from leaking capacitors, but they all appear to have the bulge in the same location where the etching is. My question is this...
  8. SudoSpencer

Mcintosh MAC 1500 Bad tube? Bias Adjust?

I came across a Mac 1500 the other day. After firing it up on a dim bulb tester and seeing no issues, I then proceeded to plug it in normally and try to set the bias. It's supposed to be .7v for all 4 of the output tubes. I tried this and 3 of them got there, the 4th tube won't go past about...
  9. SudoSpencer

Project/One Single Channel Working Repair Help!

I have a Project/One Mark IV I'm working on. It plays fine out of one channel, the other is very quiet. It does adjust on volume. I pulled these two boards, and swapped them. When I do that the channel that is quiet swaps. AKA the problem must be in one of these boards. I've tried going...
  10. SudoSpencer

Rotel RX-154a Magic Smoke Released - Identify this Part?

HELP! I'm still a beginner at this, and so I'm not even sure how to properly identify parts. I found this Rotel RX-154a at a thrift store and fired it up while there. Sadly it let out magic smoke immediately from the back right corner. I talked them into selling it to me for $2 so I could...
  11. SudoSpencer

Dynaco Dynakit Stereo 70 ST-70 Popping, Crackling, Biaset Issue, Bias Resistor

I got a Dynakit ST-70 a week or two ago. Finally got around to powering it up via Dim Bulb Tester and everything looked good. I then proceeded to power it on with speakers and sound, after a few minutes it started popping. Almost like it would surge then pop. Anyway, I killed the power almost...
  12. SudoSpencer

Sansui 5000 Missing Quick Acting Fuse Caps

Hey everyone, I picked up a Sansui 5000 yesterday and realized when I got it home that it's missing the caps for the Quick Acting Fuses. Any idea where to get these? I did a quick swap with another standard threaded fuse cap and it doesn't fit because it looks like they aren't threaded. Can...
  13. SudoSpencer

Dynaco SCA-50 Loses Sound after Several Hours?

I have a dynaco SCA-50. It sounds great and functions well overall. The issue I have is that after multiple hours of listening, say like 6 hours straight, it will stop playing sound. It still appears on but no sound comes through the speakers. If I click the power button to off, the sound...
  14. SudoSpencer

Help with Marantz 2238b, Only runs out of one Side

I bought a Marantz 2238B and when I tried it out only one side was playing. I popped the case and found that there is a bit of corrosion and rust sadly. Also the little spot labelled Q720 is completely unattached. I am trying to learn about electronics but don't have a clue what this does or...
  15. SudoSpencer

New (Used) Hafler DH-200 added to my setup

I picked up a Hafler DH-200 at the local Goodwill yesterday, swapped it for the Denon I was using with my Kenwood Basic C1. Seems like a great combo so far! Any suggestions on what to look for, or sites to check for if I wanted to upgrade the DH-200, I only paid $15 for it so I think I...
  16. SudoSpencer

Are these Vintage Ushers?

I bought some speakers at the Thrift Store, no visible markings on them, but when I pulled the driver and the tweeter they both say "Usher on the back" I can't find any online that look exactly like them though. Any ideas?
  17. SudoSpencer

Killer Thrift Find, Need Info? Jim Lansing D130, Heathkit Pre-Amp, Radio, Garrard TT

So I walked into a thrift store yesterday and found this beauty. The set of two was $80, plus I had a 30% off coupon. Nonetheless I was unable to see what the speaker was, and I only got a brief glimpse into the inside, seeing it was a Heathkit preamp and radio, and a Garrrard RC 80m...
  18. SudoSpencer

Cleaning Technics SA-600

I have a Technics SA-600 that I picked up a while back but I can't get it to play sound. When I first got it nothing turned on, after opening it up I found almost all the fuses where broken, so I replaced them all. Now it turns on, lights up, appears to get a radio signal, and can even...
  19. SudoSpencer

Started Collecting in January

I've been a long time audiophile... I just didn't know it. I grew up with my dad having a pretty solid 7.1 Surround system for his theater room along with a Technics Turntable that I occasionally used growing up. I don't think I ever realized how spoiled I was until I moved out and quickly...
Back
Top Bottom