Search results

1. PianotunerNJ

Advice requested

Sorry, not familiar with that specific TT. Ok, so for those who can use it, I like my VM95SH a lot!
  2. PianotunerNJ

cartridge dilemma

Another vote for the AT VM95SH, sounds amazing.
  3. PianotunerNJ

Advice requested

I’m in love with my new AT VM95SH. I only have experience with a few cartridges and despite being in my 50’s I’m late to the vinyl game but I recently decided to try a cartridge upgrade to address a couple of issues I was having with IGD and such and for about two bills I figured I’d see if I...
  4. PianotunerNJ

5.1.4 configuration- receiver help

I have a few surround systems and I highly recommend using the same speakers as much as possible. Mixing brands and types is more likely to result in an unconvincing transition of sounds. For the effect to work there needs to be a seamless flow of sound with no change in its characteristics...
  5. PianotunerNJ

Parasound weak channel

Try the same test with your source too BTW. If you haven’t already. And swap out the rca cables.
  6. PianotunerNJ

The Sony UBP X800M2 - Useless For SACD Music?

It’s fair, in my opinion, to say that a non-digital integrated can sound better from analog sources than a modern HT receiver due to the fact that a HT receiver will digitize an analog signal for processing, eq, subwoofer mgmt, etc. unless you use a pure direct mode on an analog input. But...
  7. PianotunerNJ

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Genesis and the Moodies. I bet we have a lot of overlap in our collections. Also I see you fish. I’m an avid striper fisherman here in NJ. Season opens in like 8 days!
  8. PianotunerNJ

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

A Little Rock and Roll Music for the World. This album has that “mojo” everyone is looking for, lol. Great stuff from Ten Years After.
  9. PianotunerNJ

Cartridge or stylus recommendation?

I just got an AT VM95SH and it’s pretty excellent. My anecdotal experience is very good. Easy to mount, vastly reduced sibilance and IGD from my elliptical AT120Eb. The soundstage is great, very complete sound, detailed and neutral. It’s on ProJect Debut Carbon with Speedbox and I upgraded...
  10. PianotunerNJ

Quick review of car subwoofer

In the case of my car, the factory system is actually very nice and has lots of potential. But the sub was way inadequate. Like most people visiting this site, I enjoy a nice balanced sound. Adding the upgraded sub made it possible to achieve a nice balanced system. The sub I used does have...
  11. PianotunerNJ

Quick review of car subwoofer

So, I’m the happy owner/driver of a 22 Kia EV6. My Kia came with the technology package including the upgraded “premium” Meridian sound system (14 speaker 800 watts). Long story short, the factory system is anchored by an anemic 5” transmission line subwoofer buried in the sub trunk. Needless...
  12. PianotunerNJ

CD sounding better than FLAC in my system.

If your DAC is only seeing 44.1 there’s likely an adjustment you’re missing. in foobar, I use WASAPI push generally. Also, in windows audio settings you must be sure any options for sound enhancement are off and there’s an option for format compatibility, you must turn on the higher...
  13. PianotunerNJ

Receiver upgrade advice

If you’re running literally just 2 channel stereo, I would like for an integrated amp. Receivers generally tend to be a downgrade from integrated amps in terms of amp build. Plus, modern digital receivers will digitize your analog signal for bass management, eq and room correction and so on...
  14. PianotunerNJ

Where to start search for new HT receiver...

Lots of reasons to go new. Room correction is pretty good now and they generally offer some nice streaming options and Bluetooth and stuff. But, I think it’s hard to get pre amp outs in lower priced units. Crutchfield is a great resource for finding specs, input and output info and head to...
  15. PianotunerNJ

Setting Crossover on my HT Setup

So, I think some specifics could change based on the room and ear test, but I generally am in favor of using the sub for anything up to about 60. If I’m you, I’m starting with the mains at 40 and the rest at 60. And, yes, bass uses much more power so by redirecting the lowest frequencies to...
  16. PianotunerNJ

Equipment advice wanted - Mid Range Budget

So, I also noticed that those speakers are not very efficient, as most small speakers, and with the 4Ohm issue you would need probably a pretty powerful receiver to get loud and clear. If you plan to do any surround music listening, you would be wise to get 4 equal speakers and a matching...
  17. PianotunerNJ

Subwoofer suggestions for two channel?

If you’re still shopping, my 2 is to look at SVS sealed subs. Sealed, in my opinion, sounds better for music. Seems smoother and more musical, less boom. To my ear it creates a better foundation for music and is ample for movies. I have a 12” sealed model and I use it for high-res and...
  18. PianotunerNJ

Best Sounding Vintage Kenwood Integrated?

I have a KA1100SD and it’s outstanding. Sounds phenomenal paired with a nice DAC and TT. Has very good phono stage and tons of power.
  19. PianotunerNJ

Simple analog crossover for adding sub to DAC?

So, I have a nice DAC/pre, and a nice amp, nice speakers, and a nice sub I can’t integrate the way I’d like to. I’m wondering if someone makes a simple, possibly adjustable crossover that will take my line level signal and split it for a sub without adversely effecting the sound quality. For...
  20. PianotunerNJ

I need new/old speakers

Good luck finding a working set of any APM superior to a pair of 22’s for under $500. I keep my eye out. I collect APM line and I have 5 pair, 2/22’s, 2/33’s and 1/55’s.
  21. PianotunerNJ

Identify this speaker cabinet!

Soundesign! maybe.
  22. PianotunerNJ

Need recommendations about bluray

With a little software, you can rip DVDA using any computer with a DVD drive and convert to lossless .flac, then playback through the USB port on the BluRay player or from a laptop. I have an older Oppo DVD player and a more recent Sony BluRay player for BluRay Audio discs, but in reality I’ve...
  23. PianotunerNJ

Sony bdp-s380....playing sacd in 5.1?

Multichannel DSD needs an HDMI connection I believe. So, a licensed SACD player -> HDMI -> DSD compatible receiver. That is the only easy way to make it work. My Sony BluRay player will also play ripped DSD files from a hard drive but the interface sucks so I just go with the “on the fly”...
  24. PianotunerNJ

Heart of a 2.1 ch system - NAD C658 or?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-GBnEai7uIFv/p_313P6S/Parasound-Halo-P-6-Silver.html?XVINQ=GZ0&XVVer=1C3A&awcr=628391115997&awdv=t&awnw=g&awug=9004000&awkw=pla-1221716829573&awmt=&awat=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI55SB4Zbc_AIV1NrICh0hxghLEAQYASABEgLWK_D_BwE I noticed that the NAD doesn’t have HDMI...
  25. PianotunerNJ

The smallest speakers for this space?

I got a pair of these to hang on my gazebo. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107ATR5W/Polk-Audio-Atrium5-White.html they’re not too big, not too heavy, come with mounting hardware and they’re kind of bass heavy which is actually good for a small pair and no sub. Also, they sound pretty good for...
Back
Top Bottom