Search results

1. C

Denon "L" series turntables

Avoid the DP-60 especialy the L. Any non-auto table under a 55 as well (40 and 50). Though many still work the percentage of problems verses the others is many times greater. That's why you very rarely see me do one...
  2. C

Denon DP-45F Channel drop issues

Before you do any of the above, swap the left and right RCA cables at your preamp input and see if the problem follows that (i.e. left channel now goes out). If it does it is something within the confines turntable. If it doesn't it is farther down your chain. Quite possibly it is a loose...
  3. C

How “necessary” is anti-skate on a TT?

I would also make the point that in my experience most folks who say they need no anti skate on a non-restored vintage table are experiencing the only "advantage" of having arm bearing drag, usually from gummed up original lubricant that has turned to mud. I have taken hundreds of vintage...
  4. C

How “necessary” is anti-skate on a TT?

I don't think anyone should rely your arm moving away from perpendicular via the cueing as a method of determining if your anti-skate is correct... In my experience, 90% of that is actually caused by the lifter "bar" not being parallel with the travel of the tone arm and as such the arc of the...
  5. C

Interested in finding TOTL or near, automatic or semi automatic. Looking for guidance

To the OP: There's a dozen different possibilities in semi-auto tables, but in full auto, in my experience...a Denon DP-61/65f (identical except for 100/120v) or the JVC Victor QL-y66 or 77f are at the top of the heap. Having VTA and swappable arm wands does give the Victors an edge in...
  6. C

Trying to figure what I need to make my new cartridge work

Loudnoises is correct-that's the internal male connector for the arm. I would NOT push it back into the arm until I knew for sure the wires/connections are good all the way to the RCA cable end on the rear. A simple volt meter and two minutes will tell you. (touch each of the pins one at a time...
  7. C

Denon TT RCA question....

Refrain from mounting an RCA jack plate to the plinth. Where you have to mount it to minimize cutting the plinth (in the existing "U") can introduce low level noise that might not be audible, but certainly is measurable, especially with an MC Cart. There is an arm board less than 3" from that...
  8. C

Denon DP-37F Info needed please

You also need to have the arm over the spot you want it to drop in to make the adjustment, unl ike Pioneers and others
  9. C

Turntable restoration (recapping) recommendations

Hey I just saw this before heading away for a break... I don't do outside repairs, but you can certainly tackle the recap yourself if you have any soldering skills. Any B student in high school level electronics can do this for you if it's not your forte. Fairly accurate (usually Version 1's-...
  10. C

Help Needed with Denon DP-60L

Let us know the answers to the questions posed; does it spin freely by hand, flicker, hum, still trip the auto lift when you move the arm manually to the end of the record?
  11. C

You're welcome. I've kind of been on a crusade about these tables-do the work well and you should be golden for many years to come. Upgrading the audio cables on these Denons is the single best sound improvement "you" can make. You don't need a Lyra cart and a $10k preamp to hear the...
  12. C

Dirty Secret #1: Any name brand cap you choose (Panasonic, Elna, Nichicon, etc) will be a massive improvement tolerance and performance wise over the stock jobber quality original caps Denon installed new back then, let alone the drift caused by decades of use. You only have to change the...
  13. C

Sorry- I don't linger over at Vinyl Engine much anymore... As Slick Willie said spot on, try those things he mentions first then report back. You failed to mention if it was ever working or is this an estate sale/eBae flip that claimed to be "tested" or "professionally serviced". That makes a...
  14. C

New Semi-Automatic Table Recommendations?

As others have said, you should definitely consider buying a refurbed/recapped vintage deck with your budget. You can get a semi auto and in some cases a full auto Denon/Pioneer/Victor (JVC)/Kenwood/etc in that range redone without a cartridge. None of the current rehashing of classic brand...
  15. C

Kenwood KD-500 Turntable > Tonearm pulls to the outside of platter

If you find a record with a "Side 4" of empty space (rather than making you buy a test record-Donald Fagen's "Sunken Condos" is a great choice) , making sure the table is level lower the arm in the middle of the side and see what happens. Adjust your anti-skate accordingly so that it surfs...
  16. C

Buy a Turntable off Ebay from a Japan Dealer? Safe?

For the OP; Since your question has turned from where to buy more to what to buy; As someone who has worked on and restored hundreds of mid 70's - 80's tables from Denon, Kenwood, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, JVC/Victor and others, I'll give you some advice that I've learned from that experience...
  17. C

Buy a Turntable off Ebay from a Japan Dealer? Safe?

I've bought a LOT of turntables from Japan... As someone who competes with them on eBay with my own little TT hobby gone amuk, I would highly suggest if you go that route to make sure you only deal with the major Japanese hi fi dealers and players, and not the new crop of individuals and variety...
  18. C

Ortofon 2mm Blue alignment problem

Rexrider is correct-you should not be having any problems lining up a 2M on the 47-I've done over a dozen using my Fieckert. Up to a Bronze (with a cable upgrade) you will be surprised what a nice match they are. I did a black once...once. Not a good fit here but OMG it s a match made in heaven...
  19. C

Denon DP-45F No Sound

I'm here to tell you, that is a JOB- congratulations on doing something very few folk would or should attempt. Can I start sending some repairs your way?? :)
  20. C

Interested in Denon Turntables

Check the head gap under your platter mat. Too close and it can cause the table to spin backwards-too far away and the table spins forward at 100mph. .006" would be a good gap to have- a couple thousands of an inch makes a difference here
  21. C

Denon dp 80 vs yamaha gt 2000

I happen to have a DP-75, DP-80, and four GT-2000's sitting in my repair/listening area. The Denons and two of the GT2k's are mine-the other two GT-2K's I've pre-sold and I'm refurbing for people. My 75 and 80 both have Denon 307's on them-my last one had a 308 12" on the bigger DK-100 plinth...
  22. C

Denon DP-59M - can you find my lost channel?

It sounds like you have an open RCA connector or a bad solder point on the changed cable. I'm leaning towards the RCA end. - Before swapping cartridges and moving tables did you flip the L/R RCA to see if the problem followed it? In other words if you did that the right channel now cuts out...
  23. C

Running Japanese Denon DD TTs on 120V/60Hz

I have a LOT of experience on this one... and I agree with the vast majority here. As part of my break-in after I recap and refurb them, before I sell a Denon I run them for 8 hours straight plugged into the 120v wall-I do this because I get a fair amount of blow back about people not wanting to...
  24. C

Disappointed Turntable

Well... as someone who sells DP-45's by the bunches-many of them on eBay, I would have to agree with most of the people here who tell the OP to suck it up and consider it a win. The fact you got a working turntable shipped relatively well (well enough if it arrived OK) from a seller with two...
  25. C

Demonstrate DP-60L Output Cable

I've had a bunch of these as most people here know- You may just have a bad RCA end (that's what fails in most cases on these) so if you don't want to open the table up try replacing those molded ends first. If that fixes your problem and leaves more funds for a nicer cartridge I think that's...
Back
Top Bottom