Search results

1. dzkfraser

The curious case of the oozing dope

I got a pair of Pilot PSV-1s the other day from the thrift. Upon removing the grills(which was no small feat), I noticed that the dope on the woofer surrounds had oozed to the bottom of the speaker and onto the cabinet. This left me to wonder, what exactly did they dope the surrounds with that...
  2. dzkfraser

MCS 3210 issues

Got this receiver off CL for cheap, seller said worked fine except controls needed cleaning, ok no problem. hooked it up, passed the dim bulb test, Well turned out there is a problem, left channel fine, right channel weak and noisy playing through speakers, cleaned the hell out of the controls...
  3. dzkfraser

Is it a sin to..

So, I recently acquired at pair of beat to snot Mach One;s, the 4029s. Most would think I'm probably wasting my time rehabing them as the list of bads is kinda long, but I like a challenge and can make them respectable if not desirable at the end. As you know, these things are big, bulky and...
  4. dzkfraser

MAD GOD

OMFG!! WTF!!? This film deserves an Oscar or something. It's creator need to be in a psych ward or something. I am pleasantly disturbed
  5. dzkfraser

RadioShack MPA 250 volume knobs

I picked one of these up from a friend, great shape but the meter lamps are out - I have replacements and know how to get to the burned out ones, but in order to do so, I have to remove the volume knobs. I pulled and pulled as hard as I dare but the damn thins won't come off - Anyone have one of...
  6. dzkfraser

Fried Speakers

No, not "fried" like in Bud Fried, but Fried as in fried eggs. Have a pair of PSB Image B15 speakers that I picked up at auction, unfortunately I was unable to test them before purchasing. Apparently, the previous owner decided to hook them up to his SX-1980 and crank them(or sumthin') and...
  7. dzkfraser

Technics SB-X10 Grill Cloth

Just a general query if anyone has replaced the grill cloth on this speaker or any of the SB-XX0 speakers, As you may be aware the grill frames are offset top and bottom. The transition crossmember is curved(concave), The cloth on the ones I have are ratty. Not sure how to put new cloth on so...
  8. dzkfraser

More of what were they thinking

Saw these on facebook marketplace - rebuilt ESS - says they sound great but you do need the strap to keep the grills on because the top speakers are a little too big
  9. dzkfraser

Hole in grill cloth

There is a small hole, about the size of a BB, in the grill cloth of some Optimus speakers I just got. What's the best way to fix it? And No, I can't ignore it. Sew it, superglue? No, I don't want to put on new fabric either as it is nice shape otherwise
  10. dzkfraser

Harman Kardon HK 560 Dial Lamp Replacemnt

Just a quick question if anyone has replaced the dial lamps in one of these. I have the service manual but is unclear on how to access the lamps. The lamp board is attached to a metal shield. I tried to remove the shield by unscrewing the mounting screws but it doesn't want to come out, gets...
  11. dzkfraser

Multi-Section Cap Restuff Circuit Question

I'm not overly awesome at reading circuit schematics so looking for a littel input. I have a Fisher amp - CA-2110, that I am replacing the main filter cap. It is a multisection cap - 6800uf 50v (x2) - has 3 terminals. I want to restuff it, or failing that(since I've never done it before) put the...
  12. dzkfraser

Transistor Help

OK, this is driving me f**king crazy - trying to cross reference transistors and coming up with so many different results for equivalents I want to scream. I am going to list some transistors and what I believe to be the proper substitutions, which may or may not be correct or may or may not be...
  13. dzkfraser

Realistic STA-78 Right Channel Problem

Nice receiver, but that being said, having an issue with the right channel - when powering up, there is immediately noise and cracking on the right channel, cleaned the controls and majing adjustments - blance, volume, etc. does not affect anthing. did some measurements - left channel OK at 26...
  14. dzkfraser

ID Please

Can't for the life of me figure out what this is, think it's a tuner - picture is kinda blurry which helps not.
  15. dzkfraser

CR 620 lamp color

Have one that someone relamped in white, kinda blah. I did one in green and looked quite nice, but really want to do something different but not sure how it would look - Thinking of blue, red or magenta - anyone have any pics of their unit with these colors so I can make a decision?
  16. dzkfraser

Uh, Yuck

I'm checking out a 2000x for a friend, problem is low outout/distortion/static on right channel. Ruled out preamp by hooking up to a different amp, problem looks to be in power block, pulled the f1180 board an found this on transistors - see pics- not sure if it's glue, old heat sink grease or...
  17. dzkfraser

Can't wait to be 90

I received in the mail the other day the Music Direct catalog and was perusing the goodness in the pages thereof. Thinking, hmmm, I can't afford that, but rejoicing that in 30 years, some of that stuff can be had for a song(but probably not)
  18. dzkfraser

Technics SL-B100 Runaway Speed

I have an SL-B100 with runaway speed. I did all the standard checks, clean switches, adjust/clean the VR pots, checked solder connections(all good), to no avail. Also to note, the speed selector button broke off when I was changing the speed, - dammit. I then tried jumpering the switch to see if...
  19. dzkfraser

Ortofon LM 30 help

I have an Ortofon LM 30 with a 30H stylus, I can't for the life of me find anything about the 30H stylus except that it may have been used with the SME cart. Can someone enlighten me on what exactly this is.
  20. dzkfraser

Dual 506 Arm Lift

So I picked up one of these the other day, all seems well except the arm lift isn't lifting. I downloaded the service manual to see what the mechanism is all about and holee sheet - German engineering at its' finest. So before I tear into this thing to see what's up(I suppose there is some logic...
  21. dzkfraser

Ghost in the Machine

Strange thing, I have a Technics SA303 - was playing off my phone through AUX and when I turned the receiver off, after a couple seconds, it played again for about a second then faded off, if that makes sense. Only happens in AUX, any idea what's happening here?
  22. dzkfraser

Ribbon cable disconnect help

I have a Pioneer vsv 5300 that the display is out. It flahed on and went off a couple times while i was pressing some of the controls. Because it did this, i figure there is probably a bad solder connection. To fix it, i need to remove the faceplate but there a lot of ribbon cables connecting...
  23. dzkfraser

Laziness

Gotta love it when people wrap blown fuses in tinfoil and reuse them
  24. dzkfraser

Sonee

For no particular reason
  25. dzkfraser

JB Weld

I'm 57, finally got around to trying this. Good Stuff, just sayin'
Back
Top Bottom