Search results

1. xero-D-hero

Audio rack ideas

My biggest one currently... Was gonna use the large area @ the bottom for albums (you can see them on the floor to the left). But I found that I would need to use crates or fashion some sort of supports to do that. So, odds are I'll just get another Rotel RB-981 power amp and bridge both and...
  2. xero-D-hero

What four people would you love to have dinner with

Lemmy would've DEFINITELY made my musicians dinner list for sure ! Add Dimebag Darrell & Bonzo too. All that would be needed was a singer then. I think I'd HAVE to go with Ronnie James Dio there. Man would that be a mindblower!!! :rockon: Bret P.
  3. xero-D-hero

Which bourbons will you not purchase again?

Won't be buying ANY of them anymore. Have developed gout and alcohol is pretty much a no-go anymore. As are a $#!t ton of other things... :( Bret P.
  4. xero-D-hero

Booze and Getting Older

I've had to give up hooch as an occasional pastime seeing as I was (somewhat) recently diagnosed with Gout. Pretty much all forms of alcohol are known to trigger flares and trust me you'll do almost anything to avoid a flare-up. It had been buggin me for awhile but I hadn't put 2+2 together till...
  5. xero-D-hero

What four people would you love to have dinner with

Hunter S. Thompson. William S Burroughs. Evil Knievel. And some dishy doll to keep me company, and to keep it from being a total sausage fest... Let's say maybe Liz Hurley or some similar uber-babe who's somewhat close to my age. I would expect that to be an amusing dinner to say the least. At...
  6. xero-D-hero

Any ideas on what this is?

Oh yeah BTW as said bats can be very beneficial no doubt, so that may be one reason for the box. But another may be to discourage them from attempting to roost in areas that they are unwanted in. For example, let's say a person's attic or such. One thing you don't want is to come into contact...
  7. xero-D-hero

Any ideas on what this is?

I'm with the bat box guys. Bats wont land to enter a roost, they need to be able to fly in a roost directly. This is the whole idea behind bat exclusion devices designed to prevent bats from roosting in unwanted places. They will crawl out of the roost, but they won't enter a roost unless they...
  8. xero-D-hero

I am going to puke...I got scammed into selling EVERYTHING

The best thing about this hobby is one can start all over in an infinite number of ways. Typically, what limits exactly how one can do so is their budget. But that said I have systems built with vintage gear that have next to nothing invested in them. Conversely, I could easily build a system...
  9. xero-D-hero

Tool question: What are these called / what are they used for ?

I guess I should've been a little clearer. Yes if you look up "putty knife" on the web all your likely to find are tons of pictures of what many call "scrapers". Those are represented very well by the bottom pic in post #8 above. To find what I was refering to one really needs to search for...
  10. xero-D-hero

Tool question: What are these called / what are they used for ?

Putty knives. This style is typically used for caulking and glazing as the rounded tips are used for smoothing out the caulk/glazing compund in corners. At least that what I've always seen 'em being used as. HTH Bret P.
  11. xero-D-hero

Gotta buy a drill... Makita or DeWalt.....

Milwaukee FTW... Second choice,,,probably Ryobi... JM2¢ ~ YMMV Bret P.
  12. xero-D-hero

looking for Amplifier suggestions, to pair with Bryston Mini-T speakers

I like the Parasound recommendation so add my x2 to that one. Either the A21+ -or- the 2250v2 would be a good choice for the Mini-T. And of course the Bryston power amps are more than capable as well. Me,I'd probably stick with seperates as most all the integrateds I like are $5k and up (ATC /...
  13. xero-D-hero

Canton Karat 400 Bookshelf speakers

Big Canton fan here,so I say buy 'em. JM2¢ Bret P.
  14. xero-D-hero

Compact speakers recs for small spaces

Pardon the blunt tone here,but that's utter nonsense. Match the sub "size" to the room size & the rest of the system + dial-in the sub settings properly and subwoofers can work superbly in small rooms. Both my BR systems are 2.1 (appx. 10' x 12' room),and both those are excellent sounding...
  15. xero-D-hero

Recommendations for powered studio monitors

With that sorta budget the brands I'd likely be watching for are > ATC ~ Genelec ~ JBL ~ PMC ~ Quested et-al. JM2¢ ~ FWIW Bret P.
  16. xero-D-hero

Do you own two (or more) of the same amp?

Currently have 2x ElectroVoice 7100 1ru rack mount power amps. Also have the NAD 2140 / 3140 combo which can be utillized as two of the same power amps is so desired. I REALLY want another Rotel RB-981 for the living room system so I can bridge 'em and throw some healthy wpc to my CV's. JM2¢...
  17. xero-D-hero

Help Me Put A System Together

If that were my stack of gear to choose from: The Technics turntable. Pioneer TX-7800 tuner. Pioneer Spec 1 preamp. Hitachi HMA-7500 mkII power amp. Pioneer HPM 100 speakers. I'd almost certainly add the vintage Pioneer SG-9800 EQ to the rig as well. Ditto adding a DAC for a digital front...
  18. xero-D-hero

Acoustic research TSW 410

They're rated @ 89dB sensitivity (measured with 2.8V RMS @ 1 meter on axis) . Other pertinent TSW-410 specs: Amplifier recommendations ~ 10 watts minimum / 100 watts maximum. Frequency Responce ~ -3dB (half power) points at 46Hz and 40kHz (w/an effective Q of 0.9 @ resonance). Crossover...
  19. xero-D-hero

Acoustic research TSW 410

I have a pair that I picked up at a thrift store as well. Scored some NOS woofers & mids and refinished the tops & bottoms. IMO they're a damn nice sounding speaker,just be sure to feed them with a "strong" amplifier. I say that as they're rated for 3ohm minimum,and like a "high current" amp. I...
  20. xero-D-hero

Technics vs Yamaha eq

Of those two specific EQ's,,,Yamaha FTW... JM2¢ Bret P.
  21. xero-D-hero

Upgrade path help

Hmmm,,,yeah if it were me... I'd keep the Parasound A21 and likely sell the rest. The preamp does'nt really interest me,neither do either pair of speakers. The DAC is probably a fine enough piece of gear. But I figure I could almost certainly sell it for more than it would cost to buy something...
  22. xero-D-hero

Dream speakers

ATC SCM300ASLT w/a pair of their companion P4 active power amplifiers. A perfectly acceptable substitute would be the Graham Audio System 3d with Bryston Amplification. JM2¢ ~ FTW Bret P.
  23. xero-D-hero

Other hobbies?

At various times... Musclecars > Started w/restoring-modifying Chevrolets then moved over to Pontiacs,but not exclusively,as I like most all makes & models. Motorcylces > Started w/a vintage 2 stroke dirtbike and moved up the food chain to a vintage Japanese musclebike ('78 Z1R). Drag Racing >...
  24. xero-D-hero

Looking for replacement foam recommendation for equipment with forced-air cooling

I'd dig around the B&H photo and/or Adorama websites and see what they have. I bet there's something like that available thru those vendors. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/ https://www.adorama.com/ JM2¢ ~ HTH Bret P.
  25. xero-D-hero

I need some help picking out another amp...

If you're considering the bi-polar Adcom GFA-555 (mk1 or II) you should also consider the MOSFET GFA-5500. Other potentially "budget minded" 200wpc+ power amps (solid state): The previously mentioned B&K power amps... Carver M-500 ~ 200wpc > 8ohms. Carver TFM-35 ~ 250wpc > 8ohms. Carver...
Back
Top Bottom