Search results

1. kapohoguy

SX-1080 Loud Hum on Phono Only

I haven't taken the SX-1080 to my repair guy yet, so it's been sitting in my office where I've been able to observe the problem in more detail. It appears that the PHONO mode low frequency hum only occurs when the receiver is first turned on, becoming noticable at about 1/3 volume and higher...
  2. kapohoguy

Thanks Watthour. I'll try those fixes before hauling it to my AV repair guy. Just disconnected the 1080 and lugged it down to my workshop. Temporarily replaced with an SX-D7000 I've been trying to sell for weeks on CL. Now I'm glad it is so underappreciated.
  3. kapohoguy

The low frequency hum becomes noticable at about 1/4 volume, whether or not a turntable is connected. With a turntable, records sound tinny and distorted even at low volume.
  4. kapohoguy

Yes, connected or not the hum is there exactly the same.
  5. kapohoguy

My SX-1080 receiver has developed a very loud hum and a lot of distortion when playing records. It was professionally serviced a couple of years ago and a bunch of capacitors were replaced. It has worked fine until now. This only happens with Phono mode--it sounds fine in AM, FM, Aux, & with...
  6. kapohoguy

Alternate dust cover for PL-530

I took the pioneer sticker off a trashed dustcover and put it on over the PL-A35 sticker.
  7. kapohoguy

Marantz 6370Q Turntable switch issue

I already tried deoxit. That didn't change anything which is why I think the switches may be damaged. Also there are other similar switches on this unit that work fine. The only ones that have problems are cueing "up" and "down" buttons and the "reject" button. My fix for the mechanical issue...
  8. kapohoguy

Marantz 6370Q Turntable switch issue

I recently acquired a very nice looking Marantz turntable, model 6370Q--direct drive, quartz lock, real wood veneer plinth. It had the cueing and auto-return/reject problems that are typical of this model. I repaired the problem with the rubber tires not making good enough contact with the nylon...
  9. kapohoguy

Main: Pioneer SX-D7000, PL-560, CS-99A, SG-9800, RG-2, CT-F1000

Main: Pioneer SX-D7000, PL-560, CS-99A, SG-9800, RG-2, CT-F1000
  10. kapohoguy

CS-99a Restoration Project

Agreed! I've replaced the binding posts on both my CS-99As and CS-77As.
  11. kapohoguy

Harman Kardon ST-8 Value?

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm returning it to the owner today.
  12. kapohoguy

Harman Kardon ST-8 Value?

I just restored this Harman Kardon ST-8 linear track turntable for a friend. I'd never seen one before but got it going with help form threads found here and service manual from Vinyl Engine. Once it was all set up and running I was impressed. The quality reminded me of the first time I had an...
  13. kapohoguy

What is this cartridge?

Thanks Wualta, that really looks like it. I have only found one German vendor on ebay is selling Osawa replacement styluses for $40. I have so many carts right now, I doubt this one is worth investing in.
  14. kapohoguy

What is this cartridge?

This was in a bag of accessories that came with an SL-1600 I picked up on Craig's List. About all I know it that it is a cartridge. Any ideas what kind?
  15. kapohoguy

Pickering XV-15 vs AudioTechnica VM8

Here are some other pictures of the stylus. I don't believe it is chipped.
  16. kapohoguy

Thanks Nat. Pardon my inexperience but what is a "line contact"?
  17. kapohoguy

I recently acquired a Pioneer CT-F1000 on Craigs List from a guy who was cleaning out his basement. He asked if I would also be interested in his turntable and "other stuff". I was so excited about getting a barely used CT-F1000 for $50 that I agreed to buy anything else he had. Anyway, the TT...
  18. kapohoguy

Pioneer PL-55X Auto Return Fix!

Here's another photo of the Auto Return Assembly from a different angle. The arrow here points to the screw which holds the Plate in place. I removed the plate and straightened it. Reinstalled with a dab of silicone grease on the tooth that engages the Return Guide Plate. After doing that, the...
  19. kapohoguy

With a couple of years of turntable repair experience under my belt I was determined to get to the bottom of the PL-55X auto-return issue this time. I read through a number of threads and the general advice seemed to be to clean, clean, clean and relube. That's always good advice and sometimes...
  20. kapohoguy

The Pioneer PL-55X is a beautiful example of mid-1970s direct drive turntable design. I bought one of Craig's List recently along with 20 headshells, 17 cartridges and 22 styluses. All for $75. The seller told me PL-55X worked well except the tonearm didn't fully return at the end of play or...
  21. kapohoguy

Connecting Dynamic Processor & Equalizer to SX-D7000

Thanks LesE. Since posting this question I also found another thread with diagrams. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/connect-eq-expander-reverb-to-preamp.281053/ Not sure how I missed these in my previous search.
  22. kapohoguy

Connecting Dynamic Processor & Equalizer to SX-D7000

I recently acquired an SG-9800 equalizer and RG-2 dynamic processor. I'd like to hook them both up to my SX-D7000 which has an "adapter" connection in aback for such things. My question is: How do I connect the the equalizer and processor to each other and which should be connected to the...
  23. kapohoguy

Reveneered Vintage Pioneer Cassette Deck

I recently picked up a CT-F8282 cassette deck on Craig's List for $50. The guy said it was fresh from his mom's basement storage and he didn't have any other compenents to hook it up to and test. We did plug it in and it lit up. All the buttons seemed to work and the capstains turned...
  24. kapohoguy

PL-5 Turntable Possessed by Speed Demon

I've put the PL-5 back together and will return it to my buddy tomorrow. After this I'll stick to the the old TTs from the 1970s. Fewer electronic gremlins to chase down.
  25. kapohoguy

PL-5 Turntable Possessed by Speed Demon

I've dissassembled the TT and don't see any issue that I recognise--nothing appears to be broken or misaligned. My guess is the speed problem is an electronic fault somewhere. The tonearm back and forth movement is most likely simply due to the centrifical force of that much speed triggering the...
Back
Top Bottom