Search results

1. Rational35

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

June 14, 2021
  2. Rational35

Back again, and it feels good

Hi AKers... I was active here for a while up until a year or so back.... longer? Still have stacks of 70's and 80's receivers, 50's theater tube amplificators, and enough vintage JBL and EV pro drivers to construct a slightly downsized "Ancient Audiophile" speaker system. Which I intend to do...
  3. Rational35

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Thank You for that, Earl! I just installed AudioTool on my BB KEY2, holy smokes! If I had a tool like that back in the day... Next, a calibrated Dayton iMM6 from Solen for CAD$22. For when you need a sanity check without firing up HolmImpulse or Omnimic or (choose your weapon) on the laptop, or...
  4. Rational35

STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

It's only wrong North of the equator.
  5. Rational35

Large Scale Speaker Sound.

Yes Sir! I have seen a divergence in this thread- those who "get it", and those who *think* they "get it". I'm not tryin to pick on anyone; we all form our preferences from experience. It depends on the "scale" we have experienced. As a live sound engineer who has worked a good number of the...
  6. Rational35

bimasta said: "Can you suggest one?" (sorry, I get error message when I try to quote) Behringer DCX2496 DBX Driverack PA2 MiniDSP, many versions cheaper analog ones... like Rane, Marchand, Bryston (well, ok not necessaily cheaper)
  7. Rational35

Twin 10 inch woofers aren't even remotely "big". *ducks* :rflmao: Four 15 inch woofers, now we are approaching "big". :beerchug:
  8. Rational35

When I had the big Altecs, I had a friend and his wife drop over one day. "We can only stay for a few minutes". Wanna check out some music for a few minutes? You should hear this. "Sure." I think I put on Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms, at moderate volume. His jaw dropped. "Honey, can you get...
  9. Rational35

I agree completely with the OP's observation, and many of the subsequent comments. I my last house, I had Altec A5 Voice of the Theatre systems, with added JBL 2404 tweeters and EVM15s as subs... I could have those playing in the basement, go upstairs, and it would sound like there was a live...
  10. Rational35

Nice tidy-up of the list, @wiredbecker :) I tend to leave a messy trail of breadcrumbs. I think Jack went to the Super-Q coil after the original pcb layout was done, when he did the LE14A version... but the Jantzen is a better solution if you can make it fit. <edit> Chris, do you have any of...
  11. Rational35

That's a nice inductor, but really, it's overkill for the L1 position in the tweeter crossover. It doesn't need that large gauge of wire. It doesn't carry much current. Jack Gifford spec'd a 0.53 ohm DCR inductor in that position, and the 14AWG coil is 0.19 ohm. That would be nice in a woofer...
  12. Rational35

The DCR of the inductors is determined by the wire gauge of the winding. A 14 AWG coil will have a lower DCR value than an 18 AWG coil of the same inductance value. An I-core inductor will have a lower DCR value than an air-core of the same inductance value, with the same AWG. I-cores should...
  13. Rational35

The Celestion CDX1-1745 is a smooth, well-respected driver by all accounts, and the price is reasonable. (at least here in Canada). National dollar-values and stupid trade-war tarriffs can have significant impact on our hobby plans. I was looking at Eminence N151M-8s for use in some mini 2-way...
  14. Rational35

The universe unfolds, and Zilch just smiles. He woulda just loved this exercise. Happy New Year Zilch, wherever you are. <edit> damn, typing that just made me cry.
  15. Rational35

Gordon, Thank you for sweeping some cobwebs out of my old brain with your clear explanations re: mass and stiffness. So I guess the dominant factor in the Qes difference is that the E120 coil has more turns *in the gap* ?
  16. Rational35

Qts (closed box) is still pretty low, but, I'm thinking about what EarlK said. But still, you had way better measured results in that box with another woofer, and confirmed with your existing measurement setup, right? The exercise continues... Try the woofer that had "good bass" in the same...
  17. Rational35

New Member here

Welcome to AK! that Pioneer SX 424 speaker socket looks like it would take a Cinch-Jones 304 plug. $5-$9. There's a bread crumb for you :)
  18. Rational35

G'day from Melbourne Australia

G'day Shintaro54. You'll find a lot more here than a used pair of AR-5's. Well worth the price of admission. Welcome here, enjoy your stay.
  19. Rational35

Hello everyone.

Well, I used to drive Cummins, but now I drive Detroit Diesel DD15 every work day (Freightliner Cascadia) :smoke: Welcome aboard, enjoy your new speakers, and don't be afraid to ask questions!
  20. Rational35

Sorry, I'm Late (long)

Grüß dich Gott. How lazy of me.
  21. Rational35

Sorry, I'm Late (long)

Hmm. Seems to me I've gone skiing/tobogganing not far outside Munchen in early January. But the weather has always been milder there than here in the snow-covered hills nestled in the midst of the Great Lakes in southern Ontario, Canada. And in spring, spargel (sorry, don't have a German...
  22. Rational35

Sorry, I'm Late (long)

Not just Europe. The Fatherland! :) see my reply to Jeff (visiman) :)
  23. Rational35

Hello From Germany again

Welcome back, Jeff! Earlier this century, I spent the better part of a year in Munchen, (Munich), over a 4-year span, and a month or so in Darmstadt, and a lot of time on the Deutsche Bahn doing weekend visits to places like Heidelberg. My great-grandfather was born in Germany. Love the country...
  24. Rational35

The full-range guys love high-Qms drivers :D
Back
Top Bottom