Search results

1. mjkerpan

Today's classical playlist

Amazon just delivered the new "budget edition" Bluray of Karajan's 1963 Beethoven symphony cycle. Performances are good to great, audio quality is quite nice, disc authoring is a bit lackluster: they simply treat the thing like a 6 hour long CD rather than creating seperate titles for each...
  2. mjkerpan

High-res PCM disc reccomendations?

Fragile's gotten the Steven Wilson treatment too? I'll have to pick that up. I really liked his editions of The Yes Album and Close to the Edge.
  3. mjkerpan

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Yes - The Yes Album (2014 Steven Wilson remaster)
  4. mjkerpan

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Derek and the Dominoes - Layla. Two guitar gods in peak form. The rest of the band ain't half bad either.
  5. mjkerpan

High-res PCM disc reccomendations?

I've noticed a thread for SACD, but not for PCM-based discs (DVD, BluRay). So here I go. I'll start by heartily recommending the new 2 CD+2 DVD set of Jethro Tull's Aqualung. It's seminal album and this is a great way to get all the versions with great sound: 96/24 LPCM stereo versions of both...
  6. mjkerpan

HDMI Audio De-embedder as Budget DAC?

Well, I decided to try out an el cheapo Fosmon deembedder before getting a fancy switch. It sounds quite good: much cleaner than the noisy mess coming from the TV's line out and no obvious flaws in the sound. Also, being able to spin discs without turning on the TV is nice.
  7. mjkerpan

Recommended Modern Speakers

Well, they're more than $125, so I stand by my statement. ;)
  8. mjkerpan

Recommended Modern Speakers

Well, I just gave my new Pioneer BS-22s a workout and I thoroughly recommend then. To my ears, they sound great across all frequencies and I'm puzzled as to the voodoo involved in making them have such decent bass from such a small box. I can't think of a better way to spend $125, honestly.
  9. mjkerpan

Vintage or modern audio? what do you prefer?

Visually, I love the stuff from the 70s a lot: all those meters and shiny stainless steel. It's a goal of mine to get a good vintage reciever and pair it up with some Genesis II speakers that I have awaiting restoration. Soundwise, it's been so long since I've heard real vintage gear that I'm...
  10. mjkerpan

My Systems

The club doesn't, I do, when nobody else is around. I have DVDs of a bunch of Quad Reel and Q8 stuff. I really like The Best of the Doors and Alan Parson's quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon. The Quad version of Aqualung is also a treat (and can even be had legally as part of a $30 deluxe edition...
  11. mjkerpan

I'm trying to get around the fact that many modern BluRay players downsample their SPDIF output to 48/16 rather than passing full 96/24 PCM for stereo. I was also trying to add some extra ports to the TV (which only includes 2 for some stupid reason) at the same time.I'm starting to think that...
  12. mjkerpan

My Systems

Here's a picture of my "personal" system: As you can tell by the mess, it's a work in progress. Also, stealth selfi in the TV screen.
  13. mjkerpan

It doesn't take HDMI, though. If used with a deembedder, it takes up yet another plug. I'm actually starting to run out. I guess that I could pipe directly from the coax out on the BluRay player, though I've heard to SPDIF outputs on most BluRay players are crippled due to copy protection and...
  14. mjkerpan

I'm building a new "cheap" rig and I've noticed that since the last time I was involved in building a rig, analog audio output has disappeared from just about all sub-$300 disc players. That means that some sort of affordable rig is needed. Does anybody know how the analog output of these...
  15. mjkerpan

My Systems

So, I have three rigs that I routinely use. First is the main living room system put together by my father, which consists of an Onkyo TX-8511 reciever, Klipsch KG3.5 speakers, anOppo DV-980H disc player, and a Gemsound DJ-USB (aka Gemini TT-1100USB) turntable modded with some fancy Goldring...
  16. mjkerpan

What CD Player Do You Use?

My main living room system uses an Oppo DV-980H. It does Red Book and DVD-A playback perfectly and does a darn good job of SACD playback too (though it coverts internally to 88.2/24 PCM before passing to its DAC). It's basically the ultimate red laser playback device.
Back
Top Bottom