Search results

1. B

Diy net filter, dc blocker, soft start, auto on system

Hi, While looking for a dc blocker, I have a humming transfo, I started thinking about going all the way as I anyway wanted something to turn on and off my gear at once and boards seem cheap on aliexpress. I have in total a pre amp, mini dsp, tv, 3 mono blocks and 3 subs connected, so 9...
  2. B

"Running in" amplifiers

Hi, I've read it a few times, ppl buy an amp, even a used one, and it sounds "bright". Just now I read a thread about a guy who bought a fr$cking vintage kenwood l 1000m power amp that sounded better after running in. Nobody reacted on it, bit it is fr$cking 15 years old!!! You just bought a...
  3. B

Power Amplifiers a 3 speaker setup

Hi, I hope this is in the right section as it's not a tube amp or solid state amp nor a home theatre question... This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm struggling. I have 3 4 Ohm speakers, 2 larger fronts and 1 largish center. All about 250W rms. I would use 1 (or 2, i bought 2 just in...
  4. B

PASS Threshold Stasis Amps question

Hi, I heard the designer of this famous amp is on this forum,so wanted to ask some questions I could not find an answer on online. How does the amp handle low impedancies <1 ohm, as happens with vintage infinity speakers? Which kind of upgrades, revisions would you expect to be making on...
  5. B

Infinity Reference RS 4.5 : use the 'active crossover' or more modern mini DSP?

Hi, I am contemplating about buying new speakers, Infinity RS 4.5 speakers are on that list as they are fairly inexpensive and have a lot of potential to be great speakers. They are very old, they have foam around the subwoofers which rots, and the magnets (and off course membranes) on the EMIM...
  6. B

Best sub 3000 EUR classic Infinity system: ren90/IRS Omega/RS4.5/K9/K9.2 ?

Hi all, I have been looking for the 'perfect' speaker for 15 years, had a lot of speakers (sold and bought a lot, to upgrade gradually, as most people I think in this forum :) ) to find out about my 'taste'. I found out I don't like the english speakers (B&W, Wharfedale, ...) and not to sure...
  7. B

Overview of silent PA amps for home use

Hi, I owned some PA amps for home use, mainly subs, not all of them are silent though. Personally I finaly found it in the QSC EX1600 amp. The fan only goes on if really needed, with variable speed. In home use I never heard the fan spinning. So in practice they are alomst passive...
  8. B

Infinity Qb midrange not working

Hi all My beloved qb started failing. On 1 of the speakers the midrange does not work. Switched the mid with the other speaker, worked, so must be in the filter. Pot sounds normal and the filter looks normal, pic in attachment. I wonder what to do now. I never use the pots, they are always...
  9. B

DIY 18" sealed subwoofer: European drivers?

Hi, I'm looking for a good 18" subwoofer for a sealed subwoofer. You lucky Americans can get the Dayton UM 18-22 for very cheap, around 300 USD, but in Europe it's about 450 USD. I wonder if there's not a 'EU made' (or UK) subwoofer which performs equal (or better) compared to the ultimax...
  10. B

In search of big brother of Qb speakers

Hi I have the Qb speakers and love them. I also have canton ct 2000 speakers and big t+a t160 criterion transmission line speakers and dual lilmike diy subwoofers for my main system. All powered with bose 1800 series 1 amps, absolute beasts giving plenty of current. I love the Qb mid and high...
  11. B

Philips FB 850

I picked up a pair today for 15 eur as the surrounds were shot and there is some damage on the speakers. I was really surprised about the quality of the filter and the cabinet. Really nice mid woofer in its own case, nice magnets on the woofers. They weigh 19.5 kg each. Nice thick cable used as...
  12. B

Impact of 'looks' of audio gear on musical experience

Hi, I would like to know your view on the importance of look of your gear when listening to music. I notice myself I can enjoy looking at my gear, Volt meters moving, nicely etched aluminium fronts, nice blue backlight on a tuner, nicely veneered speakers, .... when listening music and I have...
  13. B

DIY (tube) preamp vs 2nd hand (tube) preamp

Hi, I am rebuilding a ss power amplifier, and really enjoying it! I use a marantz 1060 as a preamp but would like to upgrade. I have plenty of power on the power amp section, 4x600W 4 Ohm, have decent d'appollito TL speakers (Criterion T+A T160) and would like to get a good pre amp. The source...
  14. B

Bose 1800 series 1 restoration - help appreciated!

Hi, It's the second bose 1800 series 1 in my family. My other one I also took completely apart, added a loudspreaker protection board and replaced the 2 resistors needed to avoid the board from blowing. Did the most necessary stuff on it and plays fine (except for the silent buz it makes, but...
  15. B

Bose 1800 - slight 'hum' from speakers

Hi, I'm the owner of 2 bose 1800's, one totally untouched the other one checked, only the most needed parts replaced (the revision 2 replacing R3 and another R) and checked all the soldering. Amp works great, doesn't get too hot, plays loud, and thanks to the speaker protection boards it's...
  16. B

What is a Saba Freudenstadt 15f tube radio worth

Dear, I would like to know the reasonable reselling value of a Saba Freudenstadt 15F (with the cloth front) You can find the stats here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/saba_freudenstadt_15f15_stereo.html On ebay they have sold between 300 - 450 dollar. On the web you can find it also...
  17. B

Saba Freudenstadt 15 Stereo not working

Dear all, I have a Saba Freudenstadt 15 which works perfectly fine, except for the stereo which does not work. You can find some pictures of the radio below. Could you help me in determining the root cause and how to fix it? I can solder etc. but have no experience whatsoever fixing...
  18. B

Yamaha NS 300 any good?

Hi all, I am looking to buy yamaha ns 300 speakers, but cannot find a lot of references or data about the speakers. They would be used without a sub, on all styles of music from Dame Shirley to Barry White, DMX, Eminem, Metallica, .... so they would need a sharp but also deep bass. The...
Back
Top Bottom