Search results

1. M

Onyx Melody help

Sorry if I was confusing, but the distortion has always been from both speakers. Post #8: "Unfortunately it comes through both speakers." Strangely though the bias problem did move from side to side when I switched tubes front to back.... UPDATE: Just checked bias again after listening last...
  2. M

Today's JAZZ playlist

3. M

Onyx Melody help

Well Dandy... I swapped the 5881 output tubes front to back and back to front and biased. There is still one side (the opposite side now) that is low.... can't get it above 1 volt.... but preliminary results say it sounds great again.... odd. I'll keep messing around. Also, yes that is the...
  4. M

Onyx Melody help

Deleted
  5. M

Onyx Melody help

I have a good multimeter and am learning how to use it... not experienced or knowledgeable
  6. M

Onyx Melody help

I just spoke to the guy who did the above work and he had a good point... if it's both channels then they're only so many things it could be... he figures capacitor to the bias supply. I'm gonna try cooling the tubes down to 1 volt and see if it gets better or worst. Will keep you updated... I...
  7. M

Onyx Melody help

Thanks for your photos... I opened it up and see nothing out of the ordinary... no blown resistors or fuses. Below is a picture of what I had worked on last year.
  8. M

Onyx Melody help

9. M

Onyx Melody help

Not interested in investing $80 if it won't help, but would tube rolling the output tubes into Tung-Sol 5881 help?
  10. M

Onyx Melody help

Yes it did just start... slowly has been getting worst over the last week or two. I turned it on and let it sit for two hours to properly warm up and it still sounds distorted. From both speakers... I biased it over and over and currently have all four pots at 1.15. Now it sounds worst then ever.
  11. M

Onyx Melody help

For the life of me I can't get it to post the videos I made... sorry
  12. M

Onyx Melody help

Yeah I'd call it distortion. Its only one half of one side that I can't get to bias properly, so I'd guess one output tube. Does that mean swapping the tubes should work or does it imply something more technical? I had a filament go out last year and had it fixed... cost way too much. ... I...
  13. M

Onyx Melody help

I'm pretty sure I'm biasing correctly, though one side is slightly low... (supposed to be 1.15 and for some reason I can't get it above 1.05) I can record it tomorrow and will post it in the morning
  14. M

Onyx Melody help

Hmmm... ok. I suppose I'm not describing this well... forgive me. When I first turn on either of my tube amps (I also have a Jolida hybrid amp that uses a 12ax7 only for a preamp and solid state otherwise) if music is playing, the sound coming from the speakers slowly gets louder for a second...
  15. M

Onyx Melody help

Its continuous... You know what it sounds like when you first turn on a tube amp while it warms up for a second? It sounds like that but much more subtle.
  16. M

Onyx Melody help

UPDATE: I got tired of waiting for a response so I pulled out some old tubes and changed one kind at a time, biased the amp, then tested it for a short minute. It continues to be fuzzy. I did not have spare output tubes so did not test them. I also checked all cables and they are pushed...
  17. M

Onyx Melody help

Howdy, I'm relatively ignorant of tubes but love my Onyx Melody PC3 despite the issues I've had with it. Recently, however, I've been hearing a crackle (almost like tubes sound when you first turn them on) in the louder passages. I just biased the amp (it was running a bit cold) and now it's...
  18. M

Recording Streaming Audio

..... minidisc
  19. M

Clarity issues with 12AX7s

Yup.... All tubes are Reissues. This is my first experience tube rolling and I wanted to start inexpensive and sort of 'standardized'
  20. M

So best thing to do is go back to stock tubes and experiment slowly?
  21. M

I've had it on for 30 mins and both sound like muddy poo.... I also placed a new Mapletree Audio SCC1 switch in the signal path and originally thought that was the issue but the Yamaha (which is also going through the switch) sounds same as always. Its only these two amps that i rolled that...
  22. M

Hello! I have three amplifiers... A Jolida Hybrid Integrated (1501), an Onix Melody SP3, and a Yamaha 3800 AV Receiver. I decided to tube roll both the Jolida and Onix from their stock tubes and got àll new Pre-Amp tubes for both amplifiers. For the Jolida I put in Sovtek 12AX7 and in the Onix I...
  23. M

New Onix SP3 Amplifier

It's already done. I'm going to get it tomorrow and will post pics/descriptions Thursday morning. Update: I guess the tech got called out on a service call and it wasn't finished when I showed up... Frustrating but I'll keep you posted as soon as I know anything. The voltage is just for a...
  24. M

New Onix SP3 Amplifier

Is there a specific power supply I should ask him to put in? He said he'd put in a standard wal wart DC linear. I asked if there would be any quality difference or if it mattered and he said no.
  25. M

New Onix SP3 Amplifier

Well guys just spoke with the tech and its not good. He said the transformer was unwound... He figures that during shipping one of the tubes got cracked and it blew the transformer. He said he would put in a DC power supply for $120 and it would get working. I'd need a switched outlet so that I...
Back
Top Bottom