Search results

1. S

Kef c60 questions, anyone have crossover schematic? crossover capacitor values

HI Stuart, Happy to contribute and clarify KEF history to a degree. Looks like your "uninformed musings" were pretty well on the mark. I am a little shocked when I look back at the complexity. Laurie (Fincham) and I debated the the true benefit of impedance conjugating and the cost impact is...
  2. S

Kef c60 questions, anyone have crossover schematic? crossover capacitor values

I worked for KEF around that period. The extra complexity in the network is that complex conjugate circuits are added to give a totally flat impedance. This also tends towards some larger values in some of the positions. The charted drawing was another innovation. Rather than buy tight...
  3. S

Ampex 311 5' RTR tape

I have lots of 5" reels of 641 and 642. Neither of which are sticky. I think 311 is an early tape and most of the early tapes (the old brown oxide types) seem to be free of SSS. At that price what can you lose? David S
  4. S

Tandberg 6041x - Love those easy repairs!

For the old tapes I'm using an old Wollensak 1580. It has a head height wheel that lets you set the right height for 1/4 track or 1/2 track. Now the really lazy bit, I record in stereo which gives me one track forwards and the second track backwards, all in one pass (fast forward and then...
  5. S

That is what got me back into tape ecording. My dad made a lot of half track mono recording of the family from the mid 50s to the mid 60s. He also played the piano and recorded that. I've been gradually copying tapes to a Tascam field recorder and editing them up and sending them to my...
  6. S

Looks like a good repair. I'm a fan of the Tandbergs also, having bought a 3600XD not too long ago. They are all handsome machines with top level engineering. When I was a kid our school library had a model 74. That probably planted the seed there. 6000x was a very attractive deck and in...
  7. S

factory reel to reel tapes sound horrible

The pre recorded tapes I have are standard late 60s 3 3/4" 4 track. I'd say they sound good but not great. They have different faults compared to LPs. Instead of ticks and pops and HF mistracking, they have hiss and they also git a bit hard for any climaxes (mostly classical). Also, most...
  8. S

Are Tandberg Decks Known To Be Unreliable?

I have a 3600xd and a 9000x. I've worked on both of them and find them to be well built and reliable. How they compare to Teacs and Pioneers, I can't say, but they seem to be well designed to me, with perhaps a few common reliability areas. The 3600 had a bad clutch, with a foam that...
  9. S

More Data, Less Wank. A Eulogy for Zilch.

I had just recently seen the sad news of Zilch's passing. Witty, lighthearted, knowledgable, enthusiastic, Zilch had an infectious zeal for speaker design and the sharing of his broad knowledge. I always enjoyed his views. He will be missed. David Smith
  10. S

What happened to bextrene?

I didn't mean to imply that some great speakers weren't made with Bextrene drivers. Obviously they were. Spender, Castle, Rogers, KEF and B&W made excellent products with the material. I think more credit for that goes to the influence the BBC had on design philosophy. Until Linn and the...
  11. S

What happened to bextrene?

Bextrene was never a good cone material, at least on its own. It is a highly "crinkly" sounding material (very low internal damping) and requires a heavy damping layer to be usable. My understanding was that a mojor use of it was grocery store packaging, not known for its audio qualities...
  12. S

Speaker Tilt = Time Alignment?

Hi Carl, Its a bit hard to define the tilt except on a case by case. Roughly you would need to get the voice coils in allignment, so depth of the woofer and vertical distance from woofer to tweeter is the primary factor. The natural rolloffs and the delay of the crossover networks will add...
  13. S

Speaker Tilt = Time Alignment?

I experimented with system tilt for time allignment years ago. It worked with a 2way system but took a lot of back tilt, like 30 to 40 degrees. A 5 degree tilt won't do it. This puts you way off the design axis so the crossover (if well designed) will need the tweeter polarity flipped. I...
  14. S

JBL L112 's

Yes, the drivers were identical so the power handling was likely the same. I don't specifically recall but I would guess it was about being a little more conservative for the pro specs. JBL did (I assume still does) serious power handling tests. There was a rack where woofers were tested...
  15. S

JBL L112 's

I think you are thinking of the 4311. The 4411 has a complex crossover with a different topology than the L112. Greg Timbers designed the L112 and I did the 4411 (David Smith). The 4411 had a little more effort put into getting polars and directivity to fall in line with the 4430 and other...
  16. S

Kef Reference 104/2

I think the large tweeter was always a little down in "sparkle". That might just be the way they are. Be careful about recapping. Part of the "Reference" aspect was that crossover parts were selected for best response. A lot of the caps are specifically sellected for a value that matches...
  17. S

Kef Reference 104/2

I had a pair of 102+KUBE and gave them to a friend who still uses them. Nice speakers. Really good performance in a nice size and shape. Was Director of Product Development at PSB for 5 years. Gord Simmons did mention your store a lot. David
  18. S

Kef Reference 104/2

Series one with the wooden head module? You don't see those very often. David
  19. S

Kef Reference 104/2

Yes, I thought your description was right on. I don't believe I made it to the Montreal dealers. I worked with KEF America in the Wash. DC office (Chantilly Virginia) so Barney and Michel were our reps (for Meridian too). I saw them at CES every year. Wasn't Audiocentre a big PSB dealer...
  20. S

Kef Reference 104/2

I worked for KEF at the time, first in the UK and then for the North American distributor. The 104.2 was our top seller in Units which meant way out front in dollar sales. My recollection of the balance was a little bit shelved upwards (slightly forward) with bass on the tight side. Some of...
  21. S

Jbl 4435 vs Altec 19s

I know, I know. Couldn't resist my 15 minutes of fame:D. No JBLs at home now. I'm pretty content with a pair of Snell XA References. After JBL I had a pair of L212 for a number of years and a JBL proto 18" subwoofer and really liked them. Then a pair of McIntosh XRT24's were a favorite...
  22. S

Jbl 4435 vs Altec 19s

I prefer the 4435, but I'm probably biased since I did design them. David
  23. S

Realistic HP-100 Electrostat update.

I've got a pair of the T50 Fostex from that web page. They are planer magnetics and sound pretty good. They are branded NAD and still look mint after 20 years. Fostex was big and built a broad range of products. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd built the whole thing. David
  24. S

Sony PS-5520 is fixed.

That is some very fine improvising. Well done. David
  25. S

Any recomendations for noise canceling headphones?

I've been pretty pleased with a pair of Sony MDR-NC6. They are available everywhere usually around the $60 mark. Most of the time I have the noise cancelling off and use them as general purpose headphones. Sound balance is pretty similar between on and off (something to check with any active NC...
Back
Top Bottom