Search results

1. soulsurfing

Do you use a subwoofer with music? Why or Why Not?

In the context of my experience alone, subs are a must for music. Even when good speakers are more than capable of dipping into the sub's space (anything below 40hz). And if you use an EQ all the better. As others have stated, you have to learn how to integrate.
  2. soulsurfing

amp hum :( Faulty ac power?

That makes sense and why I asked. Those AC line boxes that scrub DC from the mains, won't help in your case. They'll help keep the transformer from buzzing with DC, but will not stop other issues. Trans hum won't be heard in the speakers at all. Very glad you got this sorted. It can be a bugger...
  3. soulsurfing

amp hum :( Faulty ac power?

Are you hearing it thru' your speakers? Is the transformer itself humming/buzzing? You could be on a wild goose chase if you're confusing the two.
  4. soulsurfing

The Ten Commandments of Audio

I have to come up with 10? Sh!t I can berry count to 10 and I kant shpell 2 sav mi liphe. For me; the bottom line is "experience". Greatest sensory experience. For me: that means finding the gear that leads me to that goal. For me: it has been a trial and error session. (I have to be able to...
  5. soulsurfing

Someone help identify these 10" Woofers?

Vandersteen is very cooperative when it comes to their speakers. Just contact them and ask.
  6. soulsurfing

Dual woofers VS a single Woofer...?

Hi - First off, comparing a speaker to a kick drum is a mistake. They simply don't function the same. 18" kick is on the small side and they can get pretty large compared to speakers. While 18" is pretty large for a speaker even if you can find larger ones. Secondly, they don't function the...
  7. soulsurfing

A Thank You Note to Bose Bashers

I had some early (series I/II) 901s that were fine for filling a room with music. Hung them from the ceiling in the 'barn'. Could handle some decent power. Obviously not much stereo separation and no depth at all. But worked for filling that room. I gave one pair to a friend and sold the other...
  8. soulsurfing

Lets see all them Amplifiers!

^^^-67 blackface showman in a 64 blonde cab. All original with exception of a few caps/resistors to keep it running quiet. I run it into an avatar cab loaded with 2 100w weber fc12a speakers. The reverb and cab are gone to a collector-musician...
  9. soulsurfing

Vintage Marantz Receiver and system in Marriot Commercial

Look to the left of the stereo...right at the left speaker in the first 2 secs of the vid...you'll see what looks like a bose 901 on a tulip stand. but it's just for 2 seconds.
  10. soulsurfing

Nube needs help with RSL crossover rebuild

I did - but I also changed out the drivers for some with similar but not exact specs. (most parameters the same but with higher power ratings) BTW - the original crossover was about 5lbs. The new one was just under 25lbs. I don't remember all the deets as it was my first and probably only...
  11. soulsurfing

What musical instruments do you have in the house?

We have various acoustic and electric guitars. An acoustic bass. Casio keys. Violin and Viola. Half dozen mouth harps. Congas and djembe. Tambourine and various shakers and rattles. Bells...even a cow bell!
  12. soulsurfing

JBL 15" E145? Better options? Guidance needed.

I haven't used it but has he looked at an EMINENCE LEGEND BP1525 specs - http://www.usspeaker.com/Legend%20bp1525-1.htm
  13. soulsurfing

*!X3&@ Those People @ SVS Subwoofers...

This thread is full of win :rflmao:
  14. soulsurfing

What's your latest audio purchase?

What do you think of it? Quality build/sound? I've had a couple of RSL speakers in past year or two. My favorite ones are the CG 8^2 (eight squared).
  15. soulsurfing

Himalayan Pink Salt Lamps to help reduce static?

Of course. Maybe a poor analogy. I meant simply that ions in theory could be released from the salt but it would take more than just the heat of a light bulb.
  16. soulsurfing

HiFi or MidFi

Trying to define lo/mid/high fidelity relative to each other is like trying to define a shade of a color. It is progressive with an infinite number of gradients. At what point does light blue become medium blue? We can all agree on the points at the extreme, (because there is a point when blue...
  17. soulsurfing

Himalayan Pink Salt Lamps to help reduce static?

I really doubt that the heat of a lightbulb is enough to cause ions to leave the salt. Yes, vacuum tubes work in this way and maybe you could drive ions out of the salt at extremely high oven temps (not really sure about this tho'), but I seriously doubt that a low watt bulb is hot enough...
  18. soulsurfing

Where does it change from listening to the equipment to listening to the music?

It's always about the music...or at least the content (talk shows, etc)...but I have so many differing rigs that I can't help sometimes but to notice the differences in equipment and their short comings. I have music on in just about every environment I'm in. So, it can often be part of the din...
  19. soulsurfing

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Dave Matthews Band - Best of What's Around (full album)
  20. soulsurfing

Things that sound dirty but aren't (audio related)

Does anyone know a good fix-it guy near Coxsackie? (it's in New York)
  21. soulsurfing

How do I take the cover off? I need to get inside to fiddle around a bit.
  22. soulsurfing

"just screw that into the socket"
  23. soulsurfing

my interconnect fits too loosely
  24. soulsurfing

"how do I tighten up this connection?"
Back
Top Bottom