Search results

1. mdye

JBL LE8 Early Version - Disaster or Salvageable?

Greetings, I've just come into possession of an early JBL LE8 driver with whizzer cone that came as part of a very cool Ampex SA-10 field monitor. I understand that there have been a number of variations of the LE8 over the years, but I can't seem to find another one quite like it on the...
  2. mdye

Loud Buzz When Preamp Is Turned Off

Greetings All, I recently completed a single ended 45 amp build which, up until today, I thought had come together with zero issues. I've been enjoying it immensely the past few weeks, however I just discovered a strange issue with buzzy noise coming out of the left channel. It only happens...
  3. mdye

Hum Pot for DHTs

Anyone know where one could reliably purchase 50 ohm hum balance pots of decent quality? I've looked at all of my usually suppliers, but everyone seems to only carry 100 ohm pots. :dunno:
  4. mdye

Resistor across output transformer secondaries?

Hello. Has anyone come across an amp that employs a resistor across the secondaries of the output transformer? I'm playing around with a single ended EL84 amp that came out of an old, portable record player that contains two 39R resistors in parallel (for 19.5R) across each secondary...
  5. mdye

Help with voltage issues in tube preamp

Over the past few months I've been building the JE Labs phono/line pre, using 6SN7 in the line stage and 6SL7 in the phono. Fired it up for the first time yesterday, and although my B+ is a bit high (which I'm working on), voltages look good and consistent throughout (and in line with what...
  6. mdye

Rogue Audio Sphinx 2 - Tube Buffer or Gain Stage?

As the title says, I'm trying to figure out if the tube preamp in the Rogue Audio Sphinx 2 is a true tube gain stage or simply a tube buffer. I've been scouring the internet for the answer to this, but can't seem to find a knowledgable answer. Some say it's a buffer and others say it's not...
  7. mdye

Neat P-68H - Platter Bearing

Any Neat P-68H owners out there? Looks like early 60's, Japanese idler. Very cool table. I recently came into possession of one and am attempting some basic service on it. One of the first things I wanted to do was remove the main bearing housing with the platter spindle for a good cleaning...
  8. mdye

Elevated DC Heater Supply - JE Labs Pre

I'm considering building a version of the JE Labs 6SL7/6SN7/76 tube preamp with phono, which uses elevated heaters. I'm confused about how the DC is referenced in the schematic: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b4zT0oNmLQs/T98Y10T088I/AAAAAAAAB-0/VkNQ99u_bwc/s1600/JELsc-prePS1.jpg In the schematic...
  9. mdye

Harman Kardon XT-3 Transformers for MC SUT

Anyone using these as step up transformers for their moving coil carts? Care to comment on how they sound with Denon cartridges (with 40 ohm internal impedances) or where they fit in the hierarchy of vintage mic transformers? I'm also confused about their primary impedances. They're labelled...
  10. mdye

Altec Flamenco 848A on Long Island

Saw a pair of these at a thrift store today called Unique Thift in Westbury, NY on Long Island. The store knows what they have and are asking $800 for the pair, so not your typical thrift 'score.' But...tomorrow (Sunday) is 50% off day, apparently. Both cabs were missing one side of their...
  11. mdye

Mystery Audio Technica Tonearm

I recently came into ownership of a nice looking Audio Technica tonearm, but the only problem is that I can't positively ID which model this is. From my research it looks closest to a AT-1003, but there seem to be some subtle differences. Whatever it is it's in gorgeous shape, and I'm...
  12. mdye

Fairchild 412-1A

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone out there have the plinth top plate cut out/mounting dimensions for the Fairchild 412-1A? I believe these would have originally come with the plans for making your own plinth, but I haven't been able to find any scans online.
  13. mdye

Dynaco Z565 OPT - DC Resistance Readings

I recently acquired a clean Dynaco SCA-35 amp that has the original Z565 OPTs with cloth leads. I haven't fired it up yet; I've just been taking some initial readings with a multimeter of the resistors, caps and transformers...looking for anything out of spec, etc. I'm getting some interesting...
  14. mdye

Can Capacitor Question - 25uf to 20uf

Quick question for the group... I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 6L6 PP amp that has 3 can capacitors in the power supply. Two of those have original values of 25/25/25 uf @ 450V. I just happen to have 2 brand new 20/20/20 uf cans on hand. What does everyone think? I know that the general...
  15. mdye

AR-XB Plinth Woes

I'm the owner of a mostly original (it does have new springs) Acoustic Research AR-XB turntable. The turntable sounds great, and I have no intention of moving to another one anytime soon. That said, the original MDF plinth/base is starting to fall apart. The MDF is chipping away and starting...
  16. mdye

Webster Electric GL20-20 - Looking for schematic

I picked this up a while ago from a local guy. Information about it online is almost non-existent. It uses 4 x 6L6GB, 4 x 12AX7, 2 x 7025 and a 5V3 rectifier. Anyone ever see or hear one of these? Any chance that someone out there has the schematic?
  17. mdye

Voltage Doubler in HK Receiver

I'm attaching a snippet of a schematic that shows the voltage doubler in the power supply of a Harman Kardon TA-224 receiver. I'm trying to understand what the 10,000 mmf capacitor (C50) going to ground between the two diodes is doing in this circuit. Can anyone help me with a simple...
  18. mdye

Regency HF-350A Monoblock

Hi All, I recently purchased a seemingly rare amp off that auction site, and I'm curious if any other AKers have come across or own one of these themselves. The amp in question is a Regency HF-350A, and from what I can gather they're somewhat rare. Not much info online about these. The amp...
  19. mdye

Dynaco Pas-2 with Z-mod Boards

Anyone else out there have a PAS that they've upgraded with the Z-Mod power, phono and line boards from Tube Nirvana (originally sold by tubes4hifi)? I purchased a kit a few months back, and I'm having some real trouble getting correct voltages out of the power supply. The schematic calls for...
  20. mdye

Fisher X-101-C - Smoking Power Transformer

As the title says, I've got a problem here. A quick backstory: A few months back I purchased a few boxes of old tubes from a gentleman in my area who restored old radios. A mix of used and NOS that he gave me for very little money. To my delight I discovered, amongst many other great tubes...
  21. mdye

Rocker switch for Magnavox 93xx and 88xx amps

Like the title suggests, I'm wondering if owners of Magnavox 93xx and 88xx series console amps could share where they got their SPST power switches. I'm looking for something that would be a drop in fit for the space where the molex plug used to be. So far everything i've found has been a bad...
  22. mdye

Electro-voice crossover question for EV-4

Does anyone happen to have a schematic for the crossover used in the E-V Four speakers, or happen to know the crossover points? I've scoured the internet and can't find anything. I'm wondering if any Four owners out there have already figured this out in the absence of available literature...
  23. mdye

EV Four vs. Frazier Capsule

Hi All, I've been looking for some relatively inexpensive, vintage, high efficiency horn speakers to both match with my single ended 6BQ5 amp and to also serve as an intro to horn loaded speakers. Higher end models by Klipsch, Altec and JBL are out of my price range, but I've spotted a pair of...
  24. mdye

Help identifying fullrange drivers

I picked up a pair of large, unknown speakers off of CL today. The cabinets were homemade and of an unknown date, but they appeared to have been probably constructed sometime in the 60's. Intrigued, I took a gamble at $40 and drove them home. After removing the grill off on one i discovered...
  25. mdye

Webcor SE 6BQ5 - Thoughts?

I recently picked up a Webcor model EP1050 portable record player at a local thrift store with a thrashed turntable. I was intrigued as it came with 2 detachable speakers (true stereo?) and when I peaked inside one of the air vents I could see what a appeared to be a stereo SE 6BQ5 amp with two...
Back
Top Bottom