Search results

1. D

Altec 9844-8b Crossover (N800F) Rebuild

I have built both crossovers and wired up one. I did an a/b comparison between the original and my build. The low end is slightly more pronounced, but it is not boomy. There is not a huge difference. The largest improvement is in the mid/high in the horn. It definitely has more sparkle...
  2. D

As a quick update to this thread, in case anyone else wants to create set of N800F crossovers. I've bought for each speaker two 3.0 mH inductors, a 4uF and 10uF paper in oil capacitor (10 should be close enough to 10.5, but is did buy a polypropylene .56uf capacitor just in case), a 20ohm...
  3. D

Hey, you are right up the road from me! These look like they do have the ceramic magnets on the 414s. According to the gentleman I bought them from, they were purchased at APG to be used as PA speakers during the 70's or 80's while he worked there. But, due to the size and weight, the...
  4. D

Hello all! I just recently purchased a set of 9844-8b's and I would like to try my hand at building a crossover network to replace the aging N800F in the enclosures. First, the photos which are too big to upload here: https://imgur.com/a/2EXIEGz I took some measurements of the drivers. The...
  5. D

TR-707a Recap

Post Recap update. Sorry for not updating the thread. School and other projects have taken priority over this little receiver. I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors (a lot of caps!), several resistors, all the circular black diodes, and installed new LEDs for the dial, signal meter, and...
  6. D

Acoustech VI Rebuild Thread

I'm in the process of rebuilding an Acoustech VI. I've attached some pictures for your viewing pleasure. It sounds a little thin, probably due to one leaking main filter cap and aging electrolytics. So far I've ordered replacements for the electrolytic capacitors and transistors. One of the...
  7. D

Acoustech X Speakers and VI Amplifier

Thank you for the reply! I hope my preamp cleans up as nicely as the one in the photos! I heard back from Mr. Janszen, who will hopefully be able to provide me with a readable schematic for the amplifiers/panels. I will update as I work on the speakers.
  8. D

I was able to bring them back in one piece. They really are monsters, though. I emailed David Janszen, as his website suggests bypassing the original amplifiers for use with a modern amplifier. I haven't had time to test the speakers yet, though I am told one tweeter either doesn't work or is...
  9. D

Tomorrow I am going to pick up a set of Acoustech X with a matching Acoustech VI amplifier. I have found basically nothing online about these speakers. They seem to be somewhat uncommon. These will be my first pair of electrostats, since I missed a set of Magnepans. Does anyone have...
  10. D

Marantz 1150 multi-section filter capacitor replacement

Thank you for the response. I have ordered two 40mm solder tab filter capacitors and mounting hardware. Based on my measurements, I should be able to get them both to fit appropriately. If not, I will have to order some snap-in capacitors and use a board.
  11. D

Marantz 1150 multi-section filter capacitor replacement

Hey all. I just started work on a new-to-me 1150. The multi-section main filter cap is leaking and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have advice on mounting two replacement capacitors? I've considered stuffing the capacitor. But, at ~63mm of space, I think I'd rather fashion my own mount...
  12. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

I was able to get the motor running! I touched up every solder joint on the circuit board. That was where the problem ended up being. No idea which joint was the issue. I am taking the table to a local company next week to measure the well and find a ball bearing that fits correctly. I've got...
  13. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

So whomever "worked" on the table prior to me opened the cap on the bottom of the motor. I pulled the motor apart and was able to get it to spin freely. Unfortunately I am not sure how to get the two pieces of the motor to fit with enough tolerance so as to not rub on either the circuit board...
  14. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

I figured the caps needed to go and since the transistors were getting replaced they all went at once.
  15. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

I actually used Organ Donor for the counterweight. I will take a look. Hopefully the motor is the only thing that needs replaced. Edit: looks like they don't have a motor for the 6350Q. I am going to see if I can salvage it. If anyone has advice on these motors, I'd love the help. From what I've...
  16. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

Here are some pictures!
  17. D

Marantz 6350Q Woes

Hi all! I picked up a 6350Q the other day and have been attempting to get it running. The price should have scared me away, but I'm fairly handy so here we are. I replaced all transistors with modern equivalents since one was torn off (should have been a red flag) and another had a broken leg...
  18. D

Bit of an intro and 8080DB "resurection"

I second replacing all the fusistors on the driver board. A handful on my unit tested way off. I also replaced the diodes on the driver board. That is all it took to get my 990db up and running . If memory serves correctly, Diode D05 and D06 were an issue.
  19. D

Paint (or something) on flexi rack rods?

This guy did a fabulous job using brush on gun blue: https://imgur.com/gallery/LjjYc
  20. D

Black 5010 Cassette Deck

It's got a European plug with a US adapter. I haven't seen much about it online, so they can't be very common. What type of grease do you suggest I use? Do you oil or grease the motor while the transport is out? Thanks for the response.
  21. D

Black 5010 Cassette Deck

Bought this European 5010 Cassette Deck from another member today. Thanks again! Your gear was amazing! After a thorough cleaning I was able to get it singing again. I've taken an inventory of the electrolytic capacitors and will be ordering replacements. I still need to get the repair manual...
  22. D

990DB Project Thread

Unfortunately, each time I turn the Dolby knob the shaft backs out just enough to cause audio issues. I will take another crack at it when I do a full recap and relamp. In the mean time it is getting some play time. Man, does it get loud!
  23. D

990DB Project Thread

Before, you can see how far out the shaft of the switch is (I pulled it out slightly so you could see it better). Here it is after I pushed it back. I am having some trouble accessing the shaft to put the silicone on it. I tried using one of my electronics screw drivers to place it in between...
  24. D

990DB Project Thread

Thanks. That is in my shopping list for my next trip to the hardware store. I don't suppose there is a method to glue the shaft further into the switch? I will look at some disassembly guides. I sure can when I get the dolby board out (for like the 4th time now).
  25. D

How to bypass the Dolby board on a Sansui 9090db?

I will save you the search time: the answer is 'no'. I just pinned my dolby board and it took about 5-6 hours (not including the two I missed the first time around). It is worth the effort.
Back
Top Bottom