Search results

1. kvining

Best Sounding Vintage Pioneer Receiver?

For $2500 you can buy an SX-1250 considered in the top three
  2. kvining

QC-800A Power transformer

I noticed a warm spot and an odor coming from my QC-800A preamp and discovered the solder joint thar holds the copper strap around the transformer had failed. The transformer windings under the failure point look like they burned when they got hot. The part has not failed yet, the unit still...
  3. kvining

Fisher 400 input question

I have been lucky enough to purchase a Fisher 400 receiver from a collector who kept it excellent condition. On my solid state amps I use a hardwire RCA adapter on my iPhone to play Apple Music. Is it safe to use the same setup plugged into the Tape/ Aux input on the 400?
  4. kvining

SX-928

Trying to resurrect a SX-828 I picked up in an estate sale. First off there is a clear tube with a resistor in it that looks like it is disconnected, does anyone know what this is and where it would be connected? Sorry for the typo in the title!
  5. kvining

Heathkit W-7 switch

Wondering if someone could explain what the “Unity/Max” toggle switch is all about on the Heathkit W series Monoblocks, what does it do?
  6. kvining

Japanese SA-8800

So I purchased an SA-8800 shipped from Japan off a well known auction site. It was an odd little unit, an SA-8800 should be a flouroscan unit in the states, but apparently 100v units for export called SA-8800 look to me like they are actually US SA-8500ii. When it arrived, the unit looked...
  7. kvining

Speaker ohm selection

So would that be the rule of thumb, go by the specs and not the meter?
  8. kvining

Speaker ohm selection

My JBL 4311b’s test out at around 5.5 ohms each, when attaching to a tube amp should I wire them to the 4 ohm or 8 ohm terminal?
  9. kvining

CD output level to Heathkit AA-100

I actually have one of those left over from a car audio project.
  10. kvining

It’s been run a total of 20 minutes since the recap job. I’ve replaced all the tubes that needed it with some really dear to my heart old NOS valves I’ve been saving up for years, should I go through any sort of a burn in process?
  11. kvining

I’m trying decipher the specs to determine if I have a compatible match between my Tascam CD-200 and my 1961 Heathkit tube amp: Tascam; Output impedance 200 ohms Nominal Output Level: -10dbV Maximum Output +6dbV AA-100 Aux 1 Input impedance 250 ohms Input Sensitivity. 0.2v I’m a little...
  12. kvining

My first tube amp.. Magnavox 8802

What about the pre-amp section of these old Maggie consoles? Can they be rebuilt into a usable stand-alone preamp? Can the tuner dial plate etc be removed leaving just the controls, inputs and the preamp section ? I've got an old console, I really don't need another tube amp but pre-amps ain't...
  13. kvining

PreAmp to use with Heathkit AA91 Mono Blocks

Thanks for the response, those Tubes4Hifi units are sweet looking, thanks for the tip on that. Why no tone controls on most of these new offerings ? The units have already shipped. Is it possible to just restore the original screw terminals easily? I'm new to working on tube units but I have a...
  14. kvining

PreAmp to use with Heathkit AA91 Mono Blocks

Hi all, I purchased a set of what looks like a nicely rebuilt Heathkit AA91 Monoblocks from a famous auction site, I believe they are also known as M7-A, altho I have read other posts that refers to them as M7-C. I am now researching what the best tube preamp(s) to use with them would be in...
  15. kvining

RG-2 as a sub pre amp

So I wanted to add a Klipsch RW112 subwoofer to my vintage Pioneer set up, which is problematic because there is of course, no pre-amp output for a sub on any Pioneer 70’s era equipment. Not wanting to have to crawl behind the thing every time I needed to adjust the gain, I was in a quandary...
  16. kvining

THE end-all FIX for the Heathkit AA-100 integrated amp.

Any recommendations for replacement brands for the twisted prong caps? Also, I have been reading some posts in other forums where there seems to be a lot of tube amp rebuilders using very expensive replacement caps for that particular capacitor in the bias supply. I was going to use a nichicon...
  17. kvining

Thank you for your insight, O HeathKit AA-100 swami !
  18. kvining

What would you replace the cap with? It's not so much the wires are frayed, they have a slimy waxy feel for some reason. I think I can clean them up with your shrink wrap idea. It looks like it may have been in salt air, there is surface rust on the control pots, see pics. The unit works...
  19. kvining

Resurrecting a great thread.... I am installing the pcbgraphix control board, before I do that I am going to clean up a few things, starting with the bias rectifier terminal (strip F Detail 12A in the assembly manual, shown in first pic). When I pull the cover and followed the schematic to the...
  20. kvining

Identifying AR speakers

21. kvining

Identifying AR speakers

The “a” identifies them as 2ax. Nice find if you can get them cheap. Don’t give them too much power, everything blows easy on them, absolutely awesome speakers for tube amps. Use a paper towel tube to check tweeters are working, they are very hard to get. You can get new grills with all the...
  22. kvining

Which receivers in the silver face era would you say is the most reliable?

My SX-828 has been running fine for almost 50 years.
  23. kvining

Advent 6003/6002 Tweeter Part Numbers

I'm restoring a set of Advent 6003 speakers. I need to replace one of the tweeters, I was wondering if anyone has a resource or just some off hand knowledge on how to decipher the part numbers on the back of the tweeters, there seems to be nothing either here or on the web I can find on the...
  24. kvining

Looking For New Speakers

I'm really tempted by this deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-RP-280F-Floorstanding-Speakers-Cherry-Finish-PAIR-B-Stock/372872537471?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 The newer RP-8000 models are out so this model is on inventory clearance sale on ebay, Amazon and...
Back
Top Bottom