Search results

1. R

Estate sale Thiel speakers

I'm a big fan of Thiels, but those look pretty beat. The woofers probably just need a refoam, but that sure looks like water damage at the bottom. I'd pass unless they were super cheap (like <$100 cheap). Most Thiels don't bring big money, which makes then a great bargain in the realm of...
  2. R

Crazy question about phono input testing.

Just build a reverse RIAA circuit, you can do it for probably <$10 (it's seriously like 7 passive components and 4 RCA jacks) and it will let you do meaningful testing beyond just does it pass a sin wave. Unlike a crappy turntable, it's tiny and requires zero maintenance/service.
  3. R

2 pairs KLH 17 $50. NY

KLH are more common in the northeast than anywhere else, so prices tend to be a bit depressed. Rough cosmetics and blown tweeters is also a pretty big strike against them. I know I'll make some enemies for saying this, but they're really just an ok speaker. They have a nice enough midrange, but...
  4. R

Did you travel to see the total solar eclipse on April 8, 2024?

My office is in the ~95% totality band and they've got a pile of glasses at the front desk, so my plan is just to go to work like normal.
  5. R

I can't believe Southwest Airlines charges for early check-in...$25 each way?

https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/passengers-furious-at-southwest-airlines-for-wheelchair/454882 This is also a legit problem that I have personally seen on SW flights. Half the plane needs a wheelchair at departures, but then are magically cured during the flight. I straight up saw one...
  6. R

I can't believe Southwest Airlines charges for early check-in...$25 each way?

Planes and jet fuel cost the same for everyone, once you've added all the fees and extras on the bargain airlines you're usually within spitting distance of just buying a regular ticket on one of the major carriers. SW does have some cheap flights, especially between airports that they service...
  7. R

How many years of your life would you give up?

Most of my family went downhill pretty fast at the end, so I wouldn't give up much. When your time's up, your time's up, no sense in rushing things.
  8. R

How does H-D stay relevant in a changing market?

HD never fully recovered from the '09 recession. Sales dropped pretty hard and stayed down. The picture hasn't gotten any better recently, 2023 saw a 10+% drop in sales. That being said, it's a tough economic climate right now and they're hanging in there. I don't think they're going away any...
  9. R

Opinion: The long overdue death of the stick shift car

Autos are faster and more efficient these days (yes, even hydraulic ones) and have been for quite a while. I did some suspension design work for a couple German car makers and most of the chassis and powertrain people I worked with thought peoples' obsession with manuals was weird and anachronistic.
  10. R

2325 value?

In all seriousness though, assuming good cosmetic condition (i.e. just dirty), for a local sale with the friend discount, $1200-1500 is probably fair. Prices have gone up a lot the past few years and the 2325 has the double whammy of being a "monster" and saying Marantz on the front.
  11. R

2325 value?

Add a zero...
  12. R

Vintage gear pricing - little love for integrateds?

A lot of people buying vintage (especially high-end vintage) these days are buying for the look, and receivers have the look. I think there's also something to your statement that integrated amps are kind of in an uncanny valley between receivers and separates. Personally I think the run-up on...
  13. R

The perils of modern air travel.....?

:dunno: I can fly non-stop clear across the country (Boston to San Francisco) for <$400 round trip (that's not even "basic" economy, there are cheaper options!), and with a lower chance of dying than driving to work. That is pretty damned amazing if you ask me. I've taken 4+ round trip flights...
  14. R

Cost to sell on eBay

Yes, you can. Where it gets sticky is that if you do this too much it makes you more likely to get audited (if you're running a business, which the IRS thinks you are as soon as you start trying to write stuff off against the income, there's an unwritten expectation that you'll make at least...
  15. R

Pilot 1078 Console

Pilot tube gear is well regarded. Value is going to be dominated by that (i.e. the value of the whole console is basically the value of the the gear).
  16. R

Can´t Give This Stuff Away

The thrift stores around here have always been full of more clothes than they know what to do with. I imagine it got worse when they banned textiles from the trash, now in addition to decent clothes (which they already had too much of), they're getting everyone's trash clothes because it's...
  17. R

Cost to sell on eBay

Honestly if you've just got a handful of things to sell I'd stick to USAM and maybe Audiogon (to be fair I've usually had better luck on USAM than Audiogon, and it's cheaper to boot). I sold a fair amount of stuff on eBay 5-6 years ago, did everything right too: well formatted listings, lots of...
  18. R

Cost to sell on eBay

Also remember that eBay will send you a 1099 at the end of the year, so depending on your tax bracket you may be paying a lot to Uncle Sam as well. Plus how big of a seller you are can have a significant impact on your listings visibility and final sale price. If you're just getting started or...
  19. R

What does everyone own for tube gear!

I've pared down quite a bit since my last post in this thread. At this point I've got: BAT VK-30SE preamp RCA RBC-4 shortwave radio (I think this is the only thing I've still got from my original list) Collins R-388/URR shortwave radio (very broken, has spent the last couple years on and off...
  20. R

ADS L-810 With Broken Tweeters

+1 on the fuse. Just in case though, you should reach out to Richard So, I know there are some drivers he can't really repair any more due to parts availability (although I think it's mostly mids that are problematic). Find out what he'd charge for rebuild, add in shipping, and add in a few...
  21. R

RIP Terry DeWick

Truly one of the greats. Sad to see him go.
  22. R

Shopping around for auto insurance quotes digs up old skeletons in the closet

Around here the officer isn't even required to attend. Both times I challenged speeding tickets I got out of it; one was just straight dismissed, the other got reduced to a no-points violation (basically a parking ticket).
  23. R

Shopping around for auto insurance quotes digs up old skeletons in the closet

Yep, this is why I fight every ticket. Saving the cost of the ticket is secondary, it's really about keeping it off your record. Having a clean record makes insurance a lot cheaper and makes it more likely that you'll get out of future tickets (either let off with a warning or get out of it in...
  24. R

List of Absurd Prices for Items - Fun thread for obviously enthusiastic expectations

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/ele/d/valley-stream-zenith-cobra-radio/7724343863.html ZENITH COBRA - DUAL ARM TURNTABLE - AM / FM / SHORTWAVE RADIO CONSOLE This late 1940's/early 1950's console is just beautiful, it is insanely rare, ONLY ONE IN THE ENTIRE US..just an impressive piece of...
Back
Top Bottom