Search results

1. Proconsul

RIP Terry DeWick

Very sorry to hear this sad news. I had the pleasure of calling on his services for my MA-5100 and a Sony tuner -- he communicated well, helped understand what was involved, and did a fine job. I think he would be pleased to know how all of us are remembering with esteem.
  2. Proconsul

Heads-up sale thread - EstateSales and such

Just spotted this 3D Acoustics 3D6105 sub-sat system here in northern Virginia for $75. I'm in no position to move on this, but looking in AK at comments re: 3D Acoustics it seems there is some interest in these little-known speakers. If you get them, I'd be interested to know how it all works...
  3. Proconsul

It's about the Designer's guys ... they did it by ear and created more than one Classic speaker.

Stuart Hegeman -- love my Hegeman Model 1 speakers, and of course he designed several others -- not to mention all the electronics...
  4. Proconsul

Saras Model 40 Speakers

I have a pair of SARAS 20 speakers, essentially the same configuration as the Saras 10 pictured in prior posts but with 12 inch woofers. I am the original owner, and have the original boxes and packing material. After graduating from college in 1973, I returned home and -- with a degree in...
  5. Proconsul

Hello from Normandy Arromanches

Soyez le bienvenue, Pascal!
  6. Proconsul

Looking to add digital to my analog setup...

Any suggested software in particular, for use with a Mac system?
  7. Proconsul

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Rival Sons -- "Pressure & Time". White vinyl. Good album, interesting bass playing. It was a b'day gift -- I'd welcome another one from Rival Sons!
  8. Proconsul

Ruined my favorite speakers?

What's the end of the story? Get it fixed? Just curious because I've got a pair of Hegemony speakers too... Four weeks later, I check back and find I have an auto-message from AK telling me two people liked my post, so I go take a look and find...that my post says Hegemony speakers, not...
  9. Proconsul

For your pleasure: TV/online show about vinyl in Japan - interesting!

Glad you liked it! I think others might too, but it's hard to know exactly where to post info like this so the largest number of people see it. I should sneak it into Barter Town!
  10. Proconsul

HiFi Heaven Falls Church, VA Permanently Closed

Gosh, I'm just reading here on AK about Brett's passing -- to think that yesterday I was thinking of taking a TEAC R-R to him for repair. I visited his shop many times, had a repair or two done, always found him a nice fellow to deal with. I've seen a reference to him having had another shown...
  11. Proconsul

Three (or more) speaker stereo.......

After graduating from college in 1973, I worked in a hifi store for a couple of years. We sold Klipsch, among others. At some point, IIRC, a Klipsch rep showed me a schematic on how to wire up a center channel speaker, e.g., a Cornwall as center speaker for a pair of K-horns. I hand-copied...
  12. Proconsul

For your pleasure: TV/online show about vinyl in Japan - interesting!

I stumbled across the first showing of an interesting 30 minute TV show “Japanology” from NHK television in Japan — I have Verizon TV here in Virginia, and NHK is one of the free channels that comes with the subscription. What drew my attention was that this episode is all about vinyl records...
  13. Proconsul

Adding remote volume capability to a preamplifier/power amp system?

Try getting one of these: https://www.stereophile.com/content/acoustic-research-stereo-remote-control Specifically designed to do what you want to do. I’ve got one, haven’t used it in a long time, but it worked fine when I had it in my system.
  14. Proconsul

Sansui Lateral and anti-skate weights & dimensions

For the Sansui SR-717 turntable: Lateral Weight (cylinder): 17.97 mm / 0.7075 inches long, 11.70 mm / 0.4605 inches in diameter. Total weight: 15.3 grams. I am missing the Sansui-issued anti-skating weight, but when I inquired on audioasylum.com (Vintage category) back in 2006, a member...
  15. Proconsul

Hegeman 1s - return to daylight

Yes, very nice treatment, and your step-by-step photos will be a help to me as I try to do the same. I too cut panels of speaker foam, hit the same problem of adequately gluing them together -- the result was definitely very amateurish-looking! HalfApt's solution is much more elegant.
  16. Proconsul

If you have a Sony DVP-9000ES DVD/SACD, I have a question...

One last note: as I could not find a Sony RMT-D122A remote, I got an RMT-D133A instead. It has the all-important "SACD/CD" button to switch between the CD layer and SACD layer on hybrid discs. As I write this there are five available on eBay, for example, so it appears these are much more...
  17. Proconsul

Problem solved. I borrowed jbailey930's remote, and was able to establish that his correct remote and my Sony replacement remote both failed to switch from CD to SACD using the "SACD/CD" button on each. Both remotes got the three-beep error message when attempting to do so. That told me that...
  18. Proconsul

Jbailey930m -- I'm located in Fairfax, Virginia. Where are you? You can move to a PM if you wish. Captouch -- thanks for the tip. I'm aware that there's an entire menu on the machine for the DVD, and perhaps the SACD, functions. I'll dig further in AK for further information. Given that...
  19. Proconsul

Well, that appears to be about where I am -- the single layer SACD arrived and it is playing just fine. The machine correctly identifies it as an SACD and spins it right up. At this point, it's only when I get my hands on a RMT-D122A original remote control, with the "SACD/CD" button, that...
  20. Proconsul

I picked up a nice DVP-9000ES at an estate sale recently, but unfortunately it didn't come with its remote (RMT-D122A). I bought a Sony remote for a Sony DVD/SACD of lesser stature, and it works fine turning the 9000ES on and off, starting play, moving to tracks, opening and closing the drawer...
  21. Proconsul

Hegeman Labs Model 1

I appreciate your posting these pictures, teknofossil. In the early 1970s, when I was a hifi salesman in what later became Silicon Valley, I ready a review of the Hegeman H1 speaker in Rolling Stone magazine (when it was printed as a folded paper). I wrote the the Hegeman company and asked if...
  22. Proconsul

Width of Bryston 1B preamp?

I'd really appreciate someone who has a Bryston 1B preamp tell me how wide it is - and if you're measuring, its depth and height. I have an Exposure VIII power amp that I need pre-amp for, and I'd like something about the same width of 14 inches. I've got other, wider preamps but they'd look...
  23. Proconsul

New-to-me Fulton FMI-80 speakers - impressive

I just received a pair of Fulton FMI-80 speakers and thought I'd share a few thoughts. I was a hifi salesman back in the early 70's, so was around when Fultons were more well-known, though I never got to hear a pair, so when these came up I was happy to pay to hear what I'd missed. The pair...
  24. Proconsul

Audio Stores in the 70's

In Silicon Valley before it was really Silicon Valley, there was ALCO Home Electronics where I worked in the San Jose and sLos Altos store for a couple of years 1973-75 -- we sold McIntosh, Klipsch, main brand Japanese gear. Our nearest competitor was Pacific Stereo. Up El Camino toward Palo...
  25. Proconsul

HK Square Wave Analysis of Audio Perform.

Five years since the last post, I've just come across this excellent article -- thanks, GeneT. I've often wondered about how to fully interpret square waves, and this article has helped. I often see SW results for tube amps that exhibit much more tilt than the HK amps in this article, which I...
Back
Top Bottom