Search results

1. cfranz

Help with really old record players...

There is a group of special ed students in Oak Park Illinois who repair stuff they find and then sell them. They have found a couple of old turntables (just barely electric :yes:). They could use some help and advice on repair, where to find needles etc. Garage-a-records, my go to guy for...
  2. cfranz

One touch computer backup

One of the things I've noticed about all reviews professional and otherwise) for external drives with one-touch backup is that no one ever talks about the restore. Over the years I've had the odd hard drive crash and one thing I noticed is that no matter how easy the backup, recovery (which...
  3. cfranz

How about something like this T-Shirt next year

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=13566 I'd insert an image, but I'm sure that would violate a copyright.... Just go to the link.
  4. cfranz

Madison Violet

Ran into this duo (two women from Canada) on NPR today. Canadian singer/songwriters Brenley MacEachern and Lisa MacIsaac. Kind of a cross between Alison Krauss and Norah Jones. Folk and sometimes almost Bluegrass guitar duo with a very nice harmony of voices. Canadian Folk Music Awards has...
  5. cfranz

So... you think you can carve a pumkin...

Check these out.... http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/green/chi-carved-pumpkins-pg,0,1039792.photogallery
  6. cfranz

Nothing like a Heart Attack to focus your attention

Yep. Happened to me last Tuesday night. Going to sleep around 11pm and I couldn't get comfortable to go to sleep. Then the discomfort starts down my left arm... I have an IQ that is quite high, but the next sentence proves that doesn't mean much. I drove myself to the hospital. It's...
  7. cfranz

Getting LP catalogue information Programatically

Since all of the music software (player, cataloguer) out there can look up album information like songs, length, who wrote them etc. There is assumably a library of all this information. Does any know where these databases are and how to access them? I'm going to attempt to create an...
  8. cfranz

AKFest & Record cleaning

I'll be bringing along my Mapleshade Steam cleaning kit for anyone who wishes to try it. Since this is a last minute thing it'll probably just be set up in my room but if I find a more public place, I'll work something out.... Anyone interested?
  9. cfranz

Kinda what I was figuring

10. cfranz

Shielded wire

I'm going to be building a bunch of interconnects and doing some interior wiring on a few pre-amps. I'm looking for a good but not ludicrisly expensive shielded 2 strand cable. For 1 strand I'm just using mini coax.. I've checked the usual suspects, including the forum sponsers... ($8 a...
  11. cfranz

Au-222

A friend of mine runs a record store. When you listen to records, you listen through an AU-222. Does a good job, not complicated or particularly expensive.... Went in Saturday and he had another crappy pre-amp there. And I do mean crappy. Sounded like crap. Remember, we are listending...
  12. cfranz

XM and XM receivers

Is XM in mono? Or, is the receiver in my new Hundai Sanata a piece of crap. When I switch to FM, it's obvious that it's stereo... whereas, XM does not appear to be in stereo....
  13. cfranz

Surround Sound Haiku

I stole these from today's woot.com, but it got me thinking. We're a clever group here, we should be able to improve on this. There are, after all, 16,000 Haiku about Spam (the canned meat)... :scratch2: Let's see what we can do with Surround Sound Speakers... et. al. This lot is an ode...
  14. cfranz

'69 Chevy Impala Model

Does anyone know where I can find one? I know that AMT used to make one, not sure who else. My wife has some very fond memories of her dad's red '69 Impala and I thought I'd make one for her, just can't find one. Except of E-Bay for upwards of $60.
  15. cfranz

Freakazoid anyone? Get Your Freak On!!

Just found out that the 1995 surreal cartoon Freakazoid! is out on DVD, or at least the first season is. :banana: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Freakazoid-Season-1-Announcement/9300 Am I the only one who really loved that stupid cartoon? :thmbsp:
  16. cfranz

Yamaha PX-3

Was this turntable available under a different name? I bought a linear tracking turntable in the 70s identical to the PX-3 but not a Yamaha. It was (I believe) Mitsubishi or something equally as odd. My turntable died in the very late 90s and I couldn't find any parts for it. Loved it...
  17. cfranz

Dac-ah

Hi Guys, need a little help. :headscrat I reciently purchased a DAC-AH off E-Bay. I got the board, box, and toroid, but nothing else. No instructions, parts list, or anything. Tried contacting the seller but no joy. Assembling this puppy doesn't look difficult, I would just like...
  18. cfranz

Sansui SP-1500X speakers

A friend has a pair of SP-1500X speakers. They sound OK but I figure after 25 or so years, the capacitors could use some upgrading. Also, does anyone have any thought on improving them. I figure something to deaden the box would be a good idea, especially behind that woffer. Darn thing...
Back
Top Bottom