Search results

1. F

How to be a Thrift Store Audiophile

I'm definitely a keychain card carrying member, well, they've gone to phone numbers now.....;) A TSA all the way always in search of the TAS. Don't forget the electronics recycling section of your local dum....... erm recycling center. The Thorens / pair of B & Ws, etc... are...
  2. F

NAD c515BEE

From Stereophile Entry Level #14 by Stephen Meijas dated February 21, 2012 Just cured a skipping problem and mated with a remote control. Sounds great. Added bonus is the coax and optical digital outputs. Fred
  3. F

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

Nice ad Shmny Got into R2R, in particular the Tandberg 9000X and have been scouring for all lit in the day. Came across a couple, not posted:
  4. F

KEF C-40 or B&W 685 Speakers. I'm truly conflicted as to which sounds better?!?!

My C-40s looked like shite at the time but the cabinets (in black) were in good shape (very slightly dented corner or two). All drivers were intact, domes not pushed in, woofer surrounds nice and pliable. The grilles were another story and definitely contributed to the attractive price at the...
  5. F

Kef C-60

Woops posted in the wrong KEF speaker, actually have a pair of C-40s, accidentally posted in this topic, Nevermind. Fred
  6. F

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

Just watched the Toyota Taco roll over 100K somewhere from Winchester, PA to CT. Of course 71K were from previous owners, but no doubt I should get 171K from this before I'm through. Towing with this rig was a breeze. Fred
  7. F

Lafayette Stereo/Mixer Preamplifier

Combing through the catalogs on worldradiohistory came across an older listing, $15 when introduced ? According to the inflation index calculator for 1969 to now $127 about a Project Phonobox e BT 5. Got one coming and will do a side by side for comparisons. Have a Yami BT CD and 3 Line...
  8. F

Lafayette Stereo/Mixer Preamplifier

Just came across this Lafayette unit today and bought it. Thanks Rolf for the catalog documentation ! De Oxit on all the pots and sliding switches, reinstalled a 9VDC battery and it works ! Sounds pretty good on a test run w/ Sony PS - LX 2 and 2.1 computer speakers. Will try in the big boy...
  9. F

Do you like horns?

Just wanted to give brian222 some support. Fred
  10. F

Do you like horns?

Yes. Initially BS&T and Chicago early in my listening career, the fun use of the horn ie Cake, solo horn ie Hugh Masekela's licks behind Somi's vocals and all horns jazz. Love the use of tuba and sousaphone.
  11. F

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

16,000 miles to go for the 2011 Ford Fusion to hit 200K miles.......fingers crossed. 165K miles of which 14K miles were previously dealer demo / courtesy miles on a 1982 Volvo 245 stick. 34K miles to go on a 1996 Honda 750 VFR.
  12. F

How many of you built Heathkits?

Built one, a Heathkit receiver 1974 or 1975 bought from a Tandy ? store in Houston, TX for my sister for Christmas. Overcooked 2 resistors :( learning to solder correctly. Went back to the store and was handed replacements on the spot......:) Was ecstatic when switched on without catching fire...
  13. F

What reaction do you receive when people first see and/or hear your system?

"Legit" <--- from the kids, when they play music through the system from their phones. :rockon:
  14. F

Modern or Vintage?

Though the majority of my audio equipment is analog, it's really both and in the same proportions as the poll results. Will there be a day when it's 100% digital ? Hope not.
  15. F

Kef C-60

Yes, this is an old topic, however, just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying my thrift store pair, purchased for way under the price mentioned above, yikes ! Looked like shite at the time but the cabinets (in black) were in good shape (very slightly dented corner or two). All drivers were...
  16. F

Vinyl only spin list

Sarah Jarosz - Undercurrent
  17. F

Picked up a Sony TA-3200F power amp

OK, I know this is an old thread, however, if you do come across one in good shape, jump on it. Maybe not 140WPC but a solid 100. Sounded beautiful mated to a Mac C-26. Both now lost / stolen during shipment TX--->CA LONG ago. Wonder where they ended up.:scratch2: Fred
  18. F

Nakamichi DR 10 - Need Inputs

It's been a long time but my DR-10 is the only Nak deck that is playing and really doesn't need a bit of "servicing" to listen to. Listening to it right now with a MAR - 60 mix tape and she still sounds superb. Just tried to pull her out of the rack to have a look see of COO, but seems like I...
  19. F

B&O + Rat Pack = Fail!

Well the same happened to me, sister asks my son to take a look at her RX, so he brings it home, we try an LP resulting in only muffled sounds along with skipping. A quick look under the USB scope confirms the absence of the diamond. So thinking that there was only 1 option, a replacement...
  20. F

How Compulsive Are You With Your LPs

Totally, compulsive. Yes, Side 1 faces the front cover. Exception if it's a folding double album then Side 1 faces the open inner liner notes / pictures. Same for the second LP, Side 2 or 3 faces inner liner notes / pictures. In box sets, Sides 1, 3, 5, etc.... faces the front of the box...
  21. F

U-Turn Audio’s $150 Orbit turntable- pic

Initial impressions from early Kickstarter backers who received their units? :thmbsp::thumbsdn: Inquiring minds want to know.:headscrat Fred and planning to pick mine up in person.....
  22. F

ADC p-mount cartridge with no visible model number. Help?!

Check out this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264615 It's an ADC PSX - XX IIRC 10, 20, 30 and 40. I have a PSX-20 induced magnet that I love and have on a Technics Linear. Picked up a NOS 40 stylus on fleabay a while back, with clear plastic holder in...
  23. F

LOL, Too much to keep up with. Don't post much in AK, use it mostly for reference. Spend most...

LOL, Too much to keep up with. Don't post much in AK, use it mostly for reference. Spend most of my time at the VE... Good to see you here though. Did you ever get a definitive clarification on the Yami PX internals? Fred
  24. F

Yamaha NS5

Just got my, errrrrrmmmmm.... the X's, NS5 back today. Bought in 1978 and gifted for Xmas cause I needed good sounds when we were dating..... Thought I had the Owner's Manual however, must have gotten rid / gave it away when I abandoned the system in '97. Hooked them up to Sys 1 and they...
  25. F

Sony STR-6xxx series receiver

Beautiful unit except for what that idiot did..... Don't know if this helps, however, have a STR 6050, the predecessor to the 6055.......basically added the L & R on the tone controls.... I've since lost the Auto FM stereo switching but everything else still works. The power supply went but...
Back
Top Bottom