Search results

1. Brian.Byrd001

Tube amp capacitor questions

I’ll be sure and test them. Thanks for the reply.
  2. Brian.Byrd001

Polyester would make sense. This is the oldest amp I have worked on and had just never seen them before. Thanks for the ID.
  3. Brian.Byrd001

I’d just never seen any before. Thank you.
  4. Brian.Byrd001

I am also curious about these two caps as well. The schematic calls for .22 uf, 100v. Also, under the capacitor type, it says “P.T.”, whereas the others say “elect.” or “disc”. I’ve never seen caps like these before.
  5. Brian.Byrd001

I didn’t even think of that. I’ll have to check the dimensions, but it might fit back in the same way of the old. Thanks for the suggestion.
  6. Brian.Byrd001

Hi all, I have a Silvertone model 3029 tube amp. I have already replaced two off the power supply caps and want to replace the dual cap. I can’t seem to find a dual cap that is the specified 40/20 350V, called for in the schematic. Can I replace this with a quad cap 40/20/20/20 500V, or 2...
  7. Brian.Byrd001

Adapt-a-cap?

I have used them with very good success. I just trimmed them to the desired shape and they worked great for me.
  8. Brian.Byrd001

Silvertone Medalist magic smoke

I really appreciate it. Those certainly help a lot.
  9. Brian.Byrd001

Today I received my replacement tubes and buttoned everything back up. Still a bit of a hum, but nothing unexpected. So far I am not able to tell a difference in the sound of the 6U8 vs. the 7199, but my wallet can certainly tell a difference. I really want to thank everyone for their valuable...
  10. Brian.Byrd001

I ordered a set of adapters for the 7199 sockets. From the reviews on the website, the difference in audio quality is pretty minuscule. I’ll I’ve them a shot.
  11. Brian.Byrd001

Thanks everyone for all your help and knowledge. I replaced both caps and got it up and running again. It sounds really great! While I still had the unit open, I tried to run down the hum. While I didn’t get rid of it completely, I found 4-5 cold solder joints that I repaired that seemed to...
  12. Brian.Byrd001

I wondered what these were.
  13. Brian.Byrd001

The other tubes in this amp are two 7199 beside the big caps and a 12AX7.
  14. Brian.Byrd001

From what I can tell, this amp does have a tube rectifier stage. It has four 6BQ5 tubes for the rectifier. As for the power supply stage, there are two caps like the one pictured, plus a larger one right beside them.
  15. Brian.Byrd001

Hi everyone. It has been a long while since I posted, but I really enjoy the forums. I have recently acquired Silvertone Medalist amp. It is model number 3029 Black. Chassis number 132.69609. This seems like a pretty neat little amp. It has a slight hum, which was expected and disclosed by the...
  16. Brian.Byrd001

Found another set of Speakers starting with the letter "B"

I’ve had a pair of 601s for about a year and they sound really great. Nice find!
  17. Brian.Byrd001

Right Channel Hum Technics SA-5770

The main problem ended up being one of the transistors on the pre board. Since none were available to replace it with, I had to make a single 5 leg transistor from 2 transistors. I went ahead and replaced the matching transistor on the other channel before it had a chance to fail.
  18. Brian.Byrd001

I’ll try to post a video as soon as I can.
  19. Brian.Byrd001

Show us your Technics stuff

This is the SA-5770 I got from a friend a few months ago. I had to sort out a few gremlins, but afterwards I really like the sound. It has loads of overhead and clarity.
  20. Brian.Byrd001

I received my parts from Mouser earlier this week. I matched hFE on the new transistors I ordered, put some heat shrink on them and soldered the in place. I only replaced one of the problem-prone transistors in order to do an A/B test. Before connecting speakers, I rechecked dc offset and the...
  21. Brian.Byrd001

Also, what do the last letters and numbers in the model number mean? For example: 2SA798, versus 2SA798B-F2. I’ve seen some replacements, but the last numbers/letters are different. I’ve also found a post about a two transistor fix that I might try. Thanks in advance.
  22. Brian.Byrd001

Rechecked the solder joint on resistor 708. Afterwards turned the unit back on, relay ticked and the noise has returned. I never noticed this before, but prompted me to look to the main amp board. I figured if the power supply section was the culprit, the noise would be on power up. Anyway, the...
  23. Brian.Byrd001

Thanks. I’ll definitely get some new ones.
  24. Brian.Byrd001

I revisited my dc offset and one channel was extremely high. I still had noise on that channel. As I was adjusting it and then checking the ICQ, the noise went away and upon measuring the dc offset at the speaker terminals, it was back to acceptable levels. I’ve been testing through my test...
  25. Brian.Byrd001

Thank you for the info. Here is the schematic.
Back
Top Bottom