Search results

1. JohnBooty

Official Kef LS50 owners thread

I really, really need to hear these! I have the KEF Q100s in my main music system and I enjoy them a lot. Those tangerine waveguides are the real deal - they sound great from anywhere in the room which was a big priority for me, because the seating/speaker arrangement in that room is less than...
  2. JohnBooty

Official Kef LS50 owners thread

I think maybe I've joined the wrong forum if $1,500USD MSRP speakers are considered "value" speakers. I'm not saying they're not worth the money... just saying this place might be too rich for my blood!
  3. JohnBooty

"Overnight Sensation(al) Speakers" - a real value in new gear

Sure, that pair looks terrible. That is basically the worst-case scenario stain job. Looks like the OS pair that PE slapped together as quickly as possible in their YouTube vid. No pre-sanding, no pre-stain, and only a single coat of stain so of course the edges are 10x darker than the rest of...
  4. JohnBooty

Yeah I generally don't find DIY to be the overwhelming value that some people do. Some people say that DIY speakers will outperform commercial offerings at like 3x or 4x the price. Totally untrue in my experience. They are competitive with commercial speakers in their range and better in some...
  5. JohnBooty

The Overnight Sensations are a ton of fun and a fantastic value. The bass they put out for such a little speaker is just ridiculous and it's clear, too, we're not talking about "cheap Wal-Mart bass boost boombox" sound. My wife and I have built six (!) pairs now as gifts for friends and family...
  6. JohnBooty

Speakers for alternative rock

I'll try to help you learn how to fish instead of telling you which fish to look for. :) From what you're saying -- you like rock, basically (me too!) -- you want speakers with nice bass down into the 30-40hz range if not lower. Standard bass guitar tuning has a D (41hz) or D flat (38hz) as...
  7. JohnBooty

joshvito's small listening space

Looks great. Love that your wife supports your hobby. So important in a marriage.
  8. JohnBooty

Harman Kardon 730 smells like heaven

I'm 40 and I think this might be *the* most vivid smell of childhood for me. Not my favorite, just the most intense! My wife is 34 and missed these machines by a year or two I guess... once in a blue moon these come up in conversation and she's so mystified.
  9. JohnBooty

Executives with Audio Gear in the Office

This makes me kind of (stupidly) nostalgic for the days when audio equipment was more of a universally-recognized "prestige" item. I don't know what real-life executive offices looked like in the 80s but at least in the movies, there was always some exotic-looking stereo not far away from the...
Back
Top Bottom