Search results

1. willsw

Schematic Links, Tube retail links, local tube testers

If you're near DC, Linear Tube Audio has a Maxi-matcher tester for preamp tubes and power tubes. A lot of tubes do require adapters and they only have certain ones, so I'd email ahead of time to make sure you could actually test the tubes you want to.
  2. willsw

Tekton Owners Thread

We're waiting for a pair of Electrons for the shop. Extremely excited about them. I just bought an APPJ mini2013 (3wpc) from Massdrop that should be here sometime in July that I'll try out with my Lore-S. Have been using an Elekit TU-3200 with EL34s in triode and Ultralinear mode, and also a...
  3. willsw

Integrated Amp search continues

I have a Brio-R coming after looking around for a good integrated around or under $800ish. I've been enjoying a nicely restored Scott 222D with my pair of Tekton Lore-S, but feel like I may not be hearing the full capability of these speakers with the Scott, as nice as it sounds. It will be an...
  4. willsw

Current Crop of R-2R DACs

I suppose the differences are consistent with any comparison between DACs, or other components like amplifiers, when the primary circuit is surrounded by heavier duty hardware. Moving from the DAC3 to the Brick or the Border Patrol DAC you get better bass, tighter imaging, deeper layering: it's...
  5. willsw

Current Crop of R-2R DACs

Until recently I was able to directly compare three TDA1543 based DACs: a Starting Point Systems DAC3 (which is the type of implementation many seem to base their opinion of NOS on), a Wavelength Brick, which uses a tube and choke coupled output, and a Border Patrol DAC, which uses a very hefty...
  6. willsw

HH Scott 222c Restored....Again

Just brought home a 222D that was restored by a member here, thought I don't know his username here (met him locally). It is sounding wonderful with my Tekton Lores; a step up from the borrowed Dynaco SCA-35 it replaced. When he gets back from a trip, I'm planning to get a preamp/tone control...
  7. willsw

Fiio X3 Replacement Suggestion

I had the X3i, the X3ii, and the X5ii. The DAC on the X5ii is quite good, and equally impressive for portable use is the powerful amp. I have access to an iBasso DX80, which has a superior DAC, but as the amp is designed to only power average IEMSs, I prefer the X5ii. The Astell & Kern AK Jr...
  8. willsw

To DAC or not to DAC

I'm a fan of non-oversampling DACs and the variety of their sounds. MHDT Labs makes a few models that sell new below $1000, and has past models available as well. Another quality Chinese company is Audio-gd, who has a few DACs for reasonable prices. And, one more newer Chinese company has made a...
  9. willsw

Today's "Rap/ Hip Hop" Playlist

This page is pretty full of older and nicer things. I'mma put the fist track of this mixtape in your face like a napkin. 2 Chainz - Felt Like Cappin Best listening setup I have for this: Source: Fiio X5ii Amp: Headstage Arrow 4T with bass boosted Transducer: Fostex TH-X00
  10. willsw

Today's "Rap/ Hip Hop" Playlist

Listened to this on my walk home, first time in a while. Had forgotten about the Black Hippy track. Need to listen to that unofficial mixtape again I got off datpiff or somewhere years ago.
  11. willsw

2015 Christmas, what are you listening to thread.

One of my favorites to play in the shop. My boss hates Christmas music.
  12. willsw

Hello from the great PNW

Welcome from another new member! I spent a few years in Portland while finishing school. Lovely part of the country. At least one audio company I know of from up there, probably many more.
  13. willsw

Music Related Books

I'm pretty sure I popped that book in the window display last week. I'll flip through it when it's back on the shelf and see how the writing is.
  14. willsw

Music Related Books

I work in a used bookstore and often handle and flip through wonderful looking books on music (a recent favorite sighting, Chapter XVI from an old book on being a pianist: "Art Has Always Come to Grief At the Hands of Artists," warning against adopting a style) but I don't actually read any of...
  15. willsw

Hello from DC

What a friendly bunch of welcomes! Thank you!
  16. willsw

Anyone heard the new Reference Premier line?

I also have the RP-160M Bookshelf speakers, which I bought on sale after Steve Guttenberg wrote in his review of the Klipschs about being happy powering the RP-150M with the 1 watt microZOTL2, which is what I currently have as an amp. I'm in a not very large apartment with thin walls, if I want...
  17. willsw

Hello from DC

Hi, nice to finally join a place I've passed through often. I'm Will, son and employee of the manufacturer of the new, licensed Berning amps. I've been peripherally exposed to high-end audio for most of my life, but have only recently started learning about it myself. I'd be happy to answer any...
Back
Top Bottom