Search results

1. Acespaceman

Keeping secrets... Great under the radar gear.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a piece of great vintage gear or two that still flies under the radar, and you're afraid to talk it up on the internet because you're worried that everyone will find out about your favorite little unknown gem, and the prices will skyrocket? Seems silly...
  2. Acespaceman

Super Slick Slick Stuff as a Pot cleaner

As a guy who worked as an electronic bench tech for many years... Many years ago... I've cleaned my fair share of dirty pots, and switches. When DeOxit came on the scene, it was just the best thing since sliced bread. It's still an Awesome product that I use regularly. From time to time...
  3. Acespaceman

New to RTR... Different tape, different sound. What to do?

Hi guys, I'm just getting into RTR, and have a couple machines that have been serviced, and are working well. My blank tape inventory consists of a few reels of Realistic SuperTape, a few reels of Scotch 207, and that's it. What I've noticed so far is that the 207 seems to be very...
  4. Acespaceman

Revisiting the Garrard Zero 100... The right cart makes the difference.

A while back I posted a thread about modifiying the tangential arm/bushings for reduced slop in the mechanism. It was a successful project that showed a small, but noticeable improvement in the sound, and a very noticeable improvement in physical slop in the arm. Being the turntable junkie I...
  5. Acespaceman

Eleni Mandell... Baltimore Oriole HELP!

If you've seen the cult classic movie "Destiny Turns on the Radio", you've heard Elani Mandell's version of the Hoagy Charmichael tune "Baltimore Oriole". Lip Synched by the beautiful Nancy Travis. This is IMO simply the best version of the song I've ever heard. Unfortunately I cannot find a...
  6. Acespaceman

You've seen the "Leg Lamp", but get a load of this!

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/5456581186.html I'm thinking it needs whizzer cones. Otherwise BRILLIANT!!! lol
  7. Acespaceman

Sarah Vaughan's amazing voice, Ruined by vibrato?

After discovering Lorez Alexandria, I've been exploring more female jazz vocalists. Sarah Vaughan, of course is one of the heavyweights of the genre. I picked up a couple of her LPs today, and am listening to them as I type. I'm about 9 songs in, and as amazing as her voice is, I'm distracted...
  8. Acespaceman

Jazz Heavyweight Battle

You can only keep one. Which do you keep... A love Supreme, or Kind of Blue ? Go!
  9. Acespaceman

How much do I need to spend to get better than my M91ED?

I've got the Shures in 3 of my TTs, and I think they sound great. That being said, I know there's a ton of other great carts out there.... what's the next step up from the verneable Shure in a modern cart that won't break the bank?
  10. Acespaceman

Lorez Alexandria.... OMG!

Can someone tell me how it's possible that this woman isn't a household name?? How is it possible that I've made it to the age of 46, and never heard her until today? I'm simply blown away by her voice.
  11. Acespaceman

FREE Speakerlab 7s!!!!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/5418997465.html Better Hurry, I may just drive to Cleveland myself for these!
  12. Acespaceman

BOSE 901 cheap on CL

http://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/5427178829.html If I had the room, they'd be mine.
  13. Acespaceman

Great Jazz PRESSINGS.

This isn't about who your favorite Jazz artist is, or what your favorite Jazz album is. Simply, what are some of the most "Well Recorded", "Best Pressed" Jazz LPs from a sound quality perspective that you've ever heard? I'm looking to expand my jazz collection, so help a brutha out!
  14. Acespaceman

Garrard Zero 100 Resto Mod

If you're a hot rodder, or into old cars much at all, you're likely familiar with the term Resto Mod. If you're familiar at all with the Garrard Zeros, you probably know that it is often considered a fantastic design idea executed very poorly. I want to resto mod a Garrard Zero. I've been...
  15. Acespaceman

BOSE 1801 What should I know before I buy?

I've got what appears to be a real sweet deal on a PAIR of Bose 1801s. I really don't need them, but then again.... I don't NEED half this stuff LOL. That being said, is there anything particular on these amps that I should look for, or check before parting with the cash?
  16. Acespaceman

Greatest Stratocaster Tone...

I used "Greatest" to drum up interest, but let's use "Your Favorite" instead. Listening to the Power Station's version of the T Rex classic "Bang a Gong", I realize that Andy Taylor's Stratocaster tone on that track is FLAT OUT CRUSHING. Simply phenomenal single coil guitar tone. What's...
  17. Acespaceman

Picking up a Zero 100, What should I know first.

I know they're not terribly well respected, but the mechanical engineer in me has been intrigued by the design since the first time I saw one. There's one for sale localy that I plan on picking up tonight if it looks OK. Seller says it works perfectly, but it comes without cart. Anything I...
  18. Acespaceman

Wet Dust Bug?

My latest TT buy came with a Dust Bug, which I had never even heard of before, but the guy I bought it from said it "Cleans the records at the same time you are playing them" OK, great. Well, I tried it out, and it seems like a neat little device, and didn't have a negative effect on the sound...
  19. Acespaceman

No Replacement for Displacement!

Or in this case wattage. I'm new here, and just getting my feet wet putting together some equipment, and swapping it around, trying different combinations. I recently purchased a pair of Realistic Mach 2s on Clist, and had tried pushing them with a small HH Scott R33S. I thought the speakers...
  20. Acespaceman

Help me pick my first Marantz receiver.

I've always LOVED the look, feel, and sound of a Marantz since I saw my first one at the age of 16. My girlfriend's father owned it, and I thought he must have been rich to afford something so cool looking/sounding. So here we are 30 years later, and I've decided that I just have to have a...
  21. Acespaceman

Don't hate me BARN FIND!

New Year's Day haul. I'm Stoked!!!
  22. Acespaceman

New used BIC 980 restore, and compare to my old LAB 440.

On my first visit to a local vinyl dealer yesterday, I was perusing their small collection of "unwashed masses" turntables. They had maybe 10 decks available, and they all looked like they had been pulled straight from a garbage heap. I'll never understand why they couldn't take 5 minutes to...
  23. Acespaceman

No surprise to you, but I was AMAZED!

I'm new here, and just got my vintage TT/receiver system set up a few days ago. I havn't had any real kind of stereo in my house for many years. Mostly, I had been getting my music over the computer, through cheap computer speakers. So Right off the bat, I was really impressed by how good the...
  24. Acespaceman

Bulb Replacement Day!

So I picked up some replacement Fuse Lamps from Parts Express on Saturday, and decided to put them in my two receivers this evening. First was a Realistic STA-820 that got the LED treatment, and then this Scott R33S. While I got the meter, and stereo indicator lamps, the dial lamps were...
  25. Acespaceman

My first system

I'm guessing that after a while, I'll realize just how horrible this setup sounds, but at the moment, I'm simply floored by how good this is. I havn't owned a turntable in at least 25 years, and rediscovering this sound is.... exhilarating. Here's my modest TT (Realistic Lab-440), and Receiver...
Back
Top Bottom