Search results

1. W

Yamaha CR-1020 Strange Whine/Buzz

Hi Folks! I have a Yamaha cr1020 here with an issue that's really got me stumped, hoping someone might be able to help. I gave the receiver a once over when It came to me and fixed a bunch of bad solder on the relay board as well as a blown fusible 22 ohm resistor on the electrolytic board. I...
  2. W

G-8700DB With Odd Bias Problems

Howdy! I'm currently working on a very nice G-7800DB that's giving me problems. Originally neither the left or right amp would bias properly but both sides functioned well enough sound production wise. A visual inspection showed driver cards with leaky caps, old crusty adhesive starting to...
  3. W

Pioneer SX-828 Audio Muting Switch Problem

This particular SX-828 came to me more or less falling apart. The power supply board had cracked mounting posts and was pretty much hanging free inside the unit. Not to mention it also had some scorched areas around Q3 and R12. That's all been cleaned up and the amp is sounding nice now...
  4. W

Marantz Model 26 2sc1025 Output Transistors

Hi All! I have a Marantz 26 with blown OT's in the left channel. They are TO-66 style 2sc1025 transistors witch seem to be super rare and probably not obtainable. The amp also shows the remnants of an ancient repair where Sanken 2sd257s were used to replace the OT's in the right side of the...
  5. W

Sony STR-7055 Bias Issues

Hi all! Hoping for some help with an issue that's got me pulling my hair out. Currently I'm working on a STR-7055 that came to me with a story of spilled water and resultant play back issues. True enough both channels sounded pretty bad, bias readings of basically zero mV on both. A quick...
  6. W

Adcom GFA-5503 Hoping for Help

Hi all, I recently came into possession of an Adcom GFA-5503. Before using it I wanted to do a routine inspection so I opened the case and began checking bias settings and DC offsets for all three channels as per the service manual. DC offset was fine, all values hovering around 0mV but the...
  7. W

MAC 1700 Repair/Restore Help

Hi all, Got my hands on a lovely looking MAC 1700 that unfortunately has some internal issues. I'm going to do my best to describe them here and list the steps I have already taken in hopes of somebody being able to help me out with diagnosing and fixing the problem. When I first got my hands...
  8. W

SX-980 With Suspected Power Amp Issues - Please Help!

Hi All! Im working on getting an SX-980 up and running but I've run into some major roadblocks right off the bat. When I power it on with my DBT the bulb glows very brightly and the amp stays in protection mode- that is to say that I don't hear the relay on the protection board click and no...
  9. W

Harman Kardon A-402 Left Channel Short

Hello fine folks! Real head scratcher here... I've got a H/K A-402 with what seems to be a a short on the left channel. Audio is quite low and distorted as one would expect from a blown transistor and when I bring it on with my DBT it glows bright when the balance knob is shifted to the left...
  10. W

Realistic SA-2000 with Bizarre Left Channel Distortion

Hi folks, strange problem here. I'm working on bringing this receiver back to life. When I got it there were a bunch of physically broken and burned resistors on the left side of the power amp. I replaced those and the output transistors and biased the amp while I was at it. When I powered it...
  11. W

Nakamichi 610 Preamp with a Bad Channel.

Does anyone here have experience working on this unit? The one I've got my hands on sounds great on the right channel but no (or very little I should say) signal is getting through on the right. The sound on the left is extremely faint and the VU meter hardly moves in the presence of a source...
  12. W

QRX-7500 Transistor Noise?

This monster quad receiver has been used pretty heavily by me for the last year or so and recently I started hearing a fluttering noise coming through the right speaker. It sounds like a fast paced ticking or popping continuously happening at a consistent rate. It is a faint noise but it seems...
  13. W

Sansui Seven Replacement Output Transistors 2SD316/2SB518

Looking for a suitable replacements for the outputs transistors in a Sansui Seven. Original parts are Sony 2SD316 and 2SB518 transistors. From my research, OnSemi MJ15030/1 transistors would be a good replacement but I am having trouble finding them for sale. Mouser part numbers for good...
  14. W

2220 Bad Channel, Odd Functionality

Hello good people, Im working on a 2220 right now. Its in good nick, but the left channel is almost nonexistent. Only when the volume is maxed out to you begin to hear any sound, and when it does come through the signal is quiet and extremely distorted. It sounds like an output transistor issue...
  15. W

Pioneer CT-F500 Reassembly - Help Please!

Hi Folks! I posted this on Tapeheads.com but haven't gotten any response... maybe there are some Pioneer experts here. I recently got a hold of a Pioneer CT-F500 tape deck in nice cosmetic condition. It came with some original service diagrams as well as a small plastic bag with a few mystery...
  16. W

Onkyo TX-SR353 Will Not Power On

Like the title says - Literally no signs of life when the power/standby button is pushed. This is not my unit but from the story I was told it was left on 24/7. One day the sound went and not long after the unit switched off and refused to turn back on. I have a feeling that this might not be a...
  17. W

NAD 3150 Preamp distortion

Symptoms I'm experiencing: -Low volume even with volume control maxed out. I don't have to strain to hear the music but it is also certainly not reaching its full volume potential. -Distortion in both channels as volume is raised. Does not matter which input is used. Distortion occurs in...
  18. W

What else to do when output transistors go bad?

I have replaced output transistors in many different receivers and usually they function just fine afterward. Some continue to repeatedly blow the transistors. Besides merely replacing the transistors, what other steps and measures should be taken to ensure an amplifier is running properly and...
  19. W

Yamaha CR-220 sound dies after a few seconds of sound - Please Help!

As the title says... The amp turns on and plays music just fine for about 5 seconds, then the sound fizzles out and eventually stops entirely (takes about a second). My DBT doesn't register any shorts, and the same phenomenon occurs no matter what input is used. An important (I think)...
  20. W

AC Synchronous Motors and Slow Speed... Whats the Deal?

Recently I have come across a number of TTs with AC Synchronous Motors. None of them particularly special, but nice and solid tables nonetheless - certainly worthy of fixing up. They all spin just a bit slow though. Like just barely, but its definitely noticeable by ear. Strangely they all seem...
  21. W

Idler Wheel Issue JVC Nivico SRP 471E

Posted this on Vinyl Engine but I'm gonna try here too... I'm working on refurbishing this very unique and elegant player. It has an interesting drive mechanism with not one but two idler wheels - the first one touches the motor spindle and the second wheel. The second wheel acts as an...
  22. W

Denon Power Amp POA-2400A Will Not Turn On

Just like the title says... Plug this power amp in, hit the on switch and absolutely no sign of life. the obvious thought is that this is a power supply issue, but with just a dead unit and no clues to start working off I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start trouble shooting. So far all of...
  23. W

Rotel RSX-972 Pops Upon Power Down. Advice?

I'm working on this Rotel unit that had an output transistor blown on the right channel due to accidental crossed speaker wires. The offending transistor (and its matched partner and the emitter resistor) have been replaced. The amp now turns on and plays... However the DC offset on the output...
  24. W

QRX 7500 Restoration Suggestions

Woohoo! Yesterday I picked up an entirely Sansui quad system for 200 bucks: - QRX 7500 - 2 Sets of SP-2500 Speakers - 2 RA-500 Reverb Amps - Owner threw in a stack of records, a pair of headphones and and Akai GXC-75D Casette Deck/Recorder too... After a bit of Deoxit on the amp's controls...
  25. W

Sansui 6060 Rehab. Please Help if Possible

I recently acquired a 6060. The unit didn't power on, but it cost me nothing so I figured I take it... why not. Upon opening the case, two fuses on the the power amp board (which are also directly connected to a pair of secondaries from the transformer) were blown (f602 and f603). First move -...
Back
Top Bottom