Search results

1. 8xlaxx

HiFi Heaven Falls Church, VA Permanently Closed

Was snooping around on CL and saw this ad for a store closing... https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/eld/d/falls-church-store-closing/7493640584.html ...then went to the website and saw this.... https://hifiheavenrepairs.com/ Brett was a really nice tech and very easy-going. Haven't...
  2. 8xlaxx

Truly Scrumptious is Dead - Sally Ann Howes RIP

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/chitty-chitty-bang-bang-star-sally-ann-howes-dead I loved her in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Real beautiful and classy lady.
  3. 8xlaxx

The Shocker is a shockingly nice fella

@The Shocker is one nice guy. He took the time to educate me on SACD, Hi Res, and Blu-ray audio and then sent me a player and remote to use. This AK member knows his stuff and is an asset to the community here. Thanks again Andy!
  4. 8xlaxx

Favorite Tune Enhances Your Brain

Caught this recent study out of Toronto 11/9/21. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/11/211109120324.htm We all know that music calms the savage beast but here is some more proof that it does just that and a lot more. Relief from Alzheimer's and other early onset ailments seems very...
  5. 8xlaxx

Crown D-150A Series II Repair

Recently acquired this amp and could use some help with where to start with it. Seller said it powered up with one channel not working or was noisy, he couldn't remember. Observations: -Metal rear 1/4" phone chassis jacks are missing. The black, plastic female housing that holds the...
  6. 8xlaxx

Is there a Pepper Mill out there?

Wife's Bday is coming up. She's Italian & enjoys cooking! Current grinder we have, I lost the freakin' capstan into the abyss when changing the peppercorns. :no: Quick research gives the Peugeot Paris u' Select 9" model high marks but wasn't sure how well the 'u-Select' option will hold up...
  7. 8xlaxx

EPI M110 Spider

Was given a real dusty & dried out pair of EPI M110s. Previous owner was going to trash 'em. Cabinets & grills were in good shape w/ original EPI emblems. A few stubborn screws holding the drivers in and finally got them out,...foam surrounds were completely rotted away to dust. Visual...
  8. 8xlaxx

Dynaco A50 Questions, part ID

Recently acquired some A50s. Played music through them and one tweeter was not functioning. Rotation of the switch did not improve things. Pulled the woofers and found the following. What is the red wirewound part? What is its ratings? It is snapped in two and was resting on the cap...
  9. 8xlaxx

DIY Speaker Project - Molex Appliance Ribbon Cable

Wanted to try using Molex branded appliance, ribbon cable that has 23 conductors and is 24 in conductor size. The conductors are copper and encased in like a metal silver shield followed by the gray ribbon material. If the ribbon cable is cut individually and separated at 12 and 11...
  10. 8xlaxx

REK O KUT K-33 w/ Audak KT-16

Have an untested REK O KUT Rondine K-33 paired with an Audak KT-16 tonearm w/ all paperwork. I do not know it's value. The tonearm is complete with original wiring. The motor is an original REK O KUT. Both the motor and sub platter are stamped with serial numbers. There is no belt. The...
  11. 8xlaxx

Unsurpassed Master Bassist Playlist

I'll start... Rebecca Johnson is amazing. Sings, slaps the 5 like nobody's business and plays it funky. Check out @ 2:30
  12. 8xlaxx

Feast of the Seven Fishes - The Eve

>Prefacing the thread...NOT a religious discussion but one seeking out recipe ideas from others.< Our extended Italian family from Pittsburgh PA celebrates this feast every year on Christmas Eve. We like to go all out for it with yummy and tasty foods. Was wondering if anyone else here...
  13. 8xlaxx

Tachometer for Lawn Mower

Love my Lawn Boy w/ Dura Force motor but it has a slight surge at idle. Cleaned the carb & all the crevices. New air filter & plug. Cleaned out the carbon and fuel-goo under the deck (Lawn Boy re-routes the exhaust under their decks via U-shaped part with housing). This model is known for...
  14. 8xlaxx

Tree Limb hits the Sweet Spot

Remnants of Hurricane Laura passed thru VA this morning and dumped a lot of rain. A big, tree limb shook loose from a dead tree on my neighbor's property that overhangs my driveway. Yup,...went right thru the sunroof. The property owner works/lives internationally. They rent the property...
  15. 8xlaxx

Any AK Members from Leadville, CO?

Was looking for some assistance out of Leadville, CO. Are there any AK members that live close to the town or those that have business there could possibly drop me a PM?
  16. 8xlaxx

eedork - Nice transaction

Purchased a Sony ESD CD player from Matt. Excellent transaction and the player was as described. He ships quickly and has superb communications. A recommended seller here. Thank you @eedork (Matt)!
  17. 8xlaxx

Thorens TD-125MkII Newcomer

Recently acquired. Requesting assistance to identify & tweak. Advertised as strobe not working. Powered up, all 3 speeds working, no noise from bearing, a very quiet unit. Owner did not have a system and owned for home-decor purposes. - No dust cover, no hinges, no metal 45 adapter. -...
  18. 8xlaxx

The dog is a gentleman;... (zackthedog)

...I hope to go to his heaven, not man’s. - Mark Twain Recently purchased an OPT from him for a Heath project. Unit arrived in fine fashion with no issues. Highly recommend. Thanks again @zackthedog !
  19. 8xlaxx

Infra-red Thermometer - Temperature Guns

In the market for one of these instruments. IMHO, they do not seem to be the most precise and reviews on the net are sketchy at best for most brands. Also, the pricing seems to be all over the place from General brand to Fluke. Went to Lowes last night and saw the Southwire 8:1 brand (on...
  20. 8xlaxx

Snell Acoustics J (original / version I) Speaker Re-grille

If you're considering a re-grille of your speakers, don't be frightened. o_O Just finished up a pair of Snell J original I versions, today. Mine had a few small holes and snags here and there (recently puchased them used). Thought the end result was very nice! Glue and cloth were purchased...
  21. 8xlaxx

Conrad Johnson PV-6 worth / value?

There is a local seller with a CJ PV-6. I just don't know what this pre-amp is worth so posting here. Asking $1500. It's super clean/mint. Knobs/pots/switches move nice and tight with no slop or play. Upgraded with 5mF 630V Auricap Audience caps in the audio section. The original...
  22. 8xlaxx

Heathkit W5M Thoughts

Nice seeing many threads and posts about these W5M amplifiers on AK. Truly a wealth of knowledge here and of course, I'm kinda late to the game on these lil' gems. I recently acquired two W5M amplifiers with matching WA-P2 preamps. Both W5Ms have their original KT-66 tubes and Mullards that...
  23. 8xlaxx

Let's look at a Dynaco PAS-3x

Seeking expertise for my PAS-3x with some symptoms it's having and where I should start in resolving issues. This pre is new to me and I have no knowledge on the back history. For the most part it looks stock, powers up and plays but there are a couple changes on it. In using the phono...
  24. 8xlaxx

Music for Auditioning Speakers

Have you ever gone into a high-end audio performance store to check out & audition that pair of new speakers you've wanted and once you sat down, in that comfy chair for a good listen, you didn't really care for the musical choices that the salesperson played to test them out with? Or maybe...
  25. 8xlaxx

Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner Updating

I recently acquired this tuner,... clean and ready for updating. I realize it probably doesn't have to be updated but I like to tinker a bit and get a recap going for a refresh. I will be using the FM Tuner page on the KT-7500 as a road map for the modifications. A few questions,... What are...
Back
Top Bottom