Search results

1. bigx5murf

Thiel 04a... Should I re-cap them?

Resurrecting this thread to update, that after 3 years my pair of these popped another tweeter. The repair I used before, transferring the VC/diaphragm from an Audax HD13d34, probably isn't going to be possible. So I went with this option...
  2. bigx5murf

KEF NT25 Tweeter Refurbishing (with Pictures) - and a question

Did you replace your woofers, or refoam them? Very big difference The mesh covers are just glued in place, a small flat screwdriver should pry them off easily long as you pry where they're glued.
  3. bigx5murf

The BEST AR speakers?

They're probably the most neutral and accurate AR line there is. They're usually bass shy, unless you've got plenty of power on tap. The larger models are better in the bass dept. Some of them have more complex hidden woofers that need repair.
  4. bigx5murf

Nakamichi BX-1 Diagnosis & Repair

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254778959189?hash=item3b52026555:g:tNgAAOSwYK1bIqw4 This looks like what I used. Job is super easy with a dental pick
  5. bigx5murf

Staying in shape during winter.

I've read about this study in a health mag recently. Personally I tried the morning workout routine for a bit. Just made me tired throughout the day. Night time workouts on the other hand, help me sleep. I was pre-diabetic, and still have low insulin sensitivity. My glucose levels have been...
  6. bigx5murf

Staying in shape during winter.

For those who have joint issues that get in the way of cardio. I highly recommend an Airdyne, or similar machine. They're basically bikes with moving handle bars, that use a fan and air resistances for unlimited linear resistance. No load on joints, but puts a really big load on your heart and...
  7. bigx5murf

DCM Timeframe Owners, Experts, Guru's and Gods???

I have, I own TF600 and Kef Q90. TF600 are recapped, Q90 have fresh ferrofluid, but are on original caps. I've got the Kefs doing HT duty, and TF600 in a 2 channel music only system.
  8. bigx5murf

Replacement for Thiel CS2.2 - Suggestions?

I've not attempted to repair any other Thiels, other than my CS 04a. Personally, if I could find any pair of Vifa D26 series tweeters for cheap, I'd probably try using them as voice coil/diaphragm donors on the original magnets.
  9. bigx5murf

JBL LSR 305, the little speaker that could!

One of the first things I tried, it does lower the hiss, but it's still there and very noticeable.
  10. bigx5murf

I've tried disconnecting the inputs on both, and the hiss subsides, but is definitely still there. Once an input is connected, the hiss gets higher pitch. Lots of hard drive, or network activity on PC will also cause the pitch to change. You guys must've all won the lottery. Quick search shows...
  11. bigx5murf

Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

Is it still a conspiracy when they outright admit it? https://www.cnet.com/news/how-facebook-conducts-experiments-on-your-emotions/ https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28051930...
  12. bigx5murf

I just got a pair of these, I assume they're the original iteration. They really do sound great. Except my pair suffers from hissing, to ground loop whines. Which is kind of a big deal using them close on a desk. Quick search shows it's a common complaint of these. I wonder if the newer...
  13. bigx5murf

Maybe, but with politics, censorship, and data mining plaguing these streaming devices. I'll pass, and do things the old fashioned way.
  14. bigx5murf

How many speakers do you own?

I've recently added a pair of original JBL LSR305mk1 studio monitors. What a love hate relationship with these. They sound great, except they hiss and ground loop like crazy.
  15. bigx5murf

I've recently upgraded my bluray and dvd player from ps3/xbox to Pioneer BDP-05fd and Oppo 971h. It's kind of sad such high quality built devices will be a thing of the past. I doubt any streaming device will ever be built to these standards again.
  16. bigx5murf

DCM TF 400 series II need help finding fuse

I'm not sure how the TF400 are wired up. But on my TF600, both rear tweeters are wired to the same fuse, if the fuse goes, both tweeters lose signal. Also, on my TF600, the rear tweeters are wired in series, if one tweeter dies and goes open, the other tweeter will lose signal as well. It may be...
  17. bigx5murf

Technics Q303 vs Technics SL 1700

Have you used subwoofers, or multiple subs with them? The plinth construction may not feel cheap, but it's still definitely a synthetic composite material of some sort. As opposed to the metal construction of the SL-1*00 series.
  18. bigx5murf

Yes, but far as I can tell from pics, the plinth construction is similar if not identical. Which means the feedback issues with subs, and possibly placement would still apply.
  19. bigx5murf

Ripping cds to a drive

If your router has a USB port, you can hookup any plain old USB hard drive to it, and it can serve as a NAS. You don't get redundancy features though.
  20. bigx5murf

Ripping cds to a drive

I've been using foobar to rip my collection to FLAC on a local drive, then just moving it over to my NAS. Foobar does all my tagging, and I use FLAC compression with a compression level of 5. I've tried the higher compression levels, and music skps when my wifi signal isn't good, but no such...
  21. bigx5murf

I had a SL-Q200, and it's mostly plastic construction would have feedback issues I had to chase down whenever I used a subwoofer. I ended up having to wallmount it, with a double layer MDF and rubber sandwich shelf to really get the feedback to stop. I've never owned a SL-1700, but I have two...
  22. bigx5murf

Happy Birthday bigx5murf!

I've lived through things I need to lookup on Google
  23. bigx5murf

EPI-100 vs Dayton Audio BR-1

Yeah, the original fluid looked and felt like bong residue.
  24. bigx5murf

EPI-100 vs Dayton Audio BR-1

As mentioned my set had the red accent tweeters, like the one pictured below. There was no drama disassembling and reassembling them at all. It came apart soon as the screws were undone, and went back together the same.
  25. bigx5murf

KEF NT25 Tweeter Refurbishing (with Pictures) - and a question

I'm using whatever parts express carries. I'm sure Kef recommends you just buy new Kef speakers. They originally recommended I buy replacements tweeters from them, then told me they didn't have anymore in stock.
Back
Top Bottom