Search results

1. tri_pod

My Dynaco SCA35 died tonight - well, a part of it

Hi Guys I under-estimated my stupidity. The trouble started with a micro mouse USB receiver I wanted to plug into a CCTV camera DVR... My desk where my computer gears are on, is a bent pipe affair. As a result, this desk is kinda unstable and two Sundays ago, while busy with the USB thingy...
  2. tri_pod

I've had the Dynaco for a very long time and I'm quite used to the covers being hot. The heat I felt last night, was VERY MUCH hotter than usual, the hotter place directly above those EL84's. tri_pod
  3. tri_pod

Hi PeterH The Dynaco is exclusively used for 78rpm playback and recording, listening to youtube stuff and occasionally, CD or DVD playback from my computer drives. Last night, when I used the amp, I could play shellac but youtube stuff and CD playback from my computer was dead - no sound...
  4. tri_pod

Anyone doing a garden?

Until about 1 year ago, my shrubs and three very beautiful lawns were my pride and joy. Due to climate change? we are currently not allowed to use potable water for garden use and all three lawns are like deserts in miniature. very sad. And I'm now too old to make use of grey water which is very...
  5. tri_pod

Hi Guys Thank you for your generous replies. The guesstimate of the problem being a tube issue seems on target and I'm making some enquiries for a quad set locally. In the meantime, I show below (from left to right, amp controls facing) the tubes presently fitted. All are Dynaco branded...
  6. tri_pod

Hello Everyone As the subject said and I need some help for a dufus, please. I wanted to listen to some youtube stuff and got no sound. I played a record (selected Phono) and got sound. For youtube and other computer sound, I use "Spare" which is the problem. I touched the cover and it felt...
  7. tri_pod

Machine empathy? Or: Automotive Citrus knowing it's Time

I was a bit young to own an American car when they ruled the roads in the 50's and before that in South Africa. Below are the cars I owned since 1963: The original Fiat 500 with rollback sunroof and 'crash' gearbox Renault Dauphine Gordini Triumph TR3A Renault R8 Gordini (2) Citroen Club...
  8. tri_pod

KA-701 - Metal knobs or plastic?

Hi I have a KA-701 and I think the knobs are metal, judging by their temperature when touched. tri_pod
  9. tri_pod

Show us your age!

I think the surprising results are because younger people today are far more susceptible to life's pressures, striving for upward mobility in their jobs, building homes and families and devote more time to outdoor activities, rather than spending time listening to music and collecting and...
  10. tri_pod

Show us your age!

73 and I'll be 74 in June this year. WW11 war baby. I have been married for 42 golden years to my wife Pamela who was 1 year younger than I am. My dear wife suddenly passed away on the 10th of January this year from the big C. Then tragedy struck the day after her death. I got out of bed early...
  11. tri_pod

Anyone on here know anything about antique electronics?

Well, fire-away with your technical questions. There are lots of know-how and always good Karma here among members as well as a huge store of knowledge about all kinds of electronic equipment. Also, share and post your successes in repairing vintage gear. Put the bannings behind you and if you...
  12. tri_pod

NIB Dynaco SCA-35

Maybe the seller is VERY inexperienced, doesn't know how keenly popular gear sales get watched, then got cold feet and started changing pics and descriptions to get his claims aligned with reality? tri_pod
  13. tri_pod

Whaferdale Denton 80th Anniversary Opinions

If you want to google for more info or reviews, you won't get much googling "Whaferdale". It is Wharfedale. Welcome anyway and all the best for 2017 tri_pod
  14. tri_pod

NIB Dynaco SCA-35

I hope the buyer has the good sense to look for heat discolouration on the boards. tri_pod
  15. tri_pod

Micro Seiki MR-711 Speed/Speed Meter Issues

I've had my MR-711 for about 8 years now and initially ran into the same lack of manual problem. Mine was also hacked (DIN socket removed) but I reinstated most of the hacked/absent bits. A major problem was the lid's top hinges were absent. I had to fabricate these from pics supplied by a...
  16. tri_pod

NIB Dynaco SCA-35

If I put my SCA35 up next to the "NIB" example it will be hard to tell the difference. The black control legends are extremely fragile. tri_pod
  17. tri_pod

Cellphone photos. Caught anything interesting lately? Post em!

My current desktop pic. Taken with an old Nokia E71 3.2MP mobile in a nearby park. I'm not a photographer's shoesoles but I often cringe at the pics taken with new generation phones which frequently seem out of focus and so dark one cannot see detail. These pics are no fluke shots - every pic...
  18. tri_pod

Coils-above-the-stylus MC Cartridge

Hi Conrad Each coil has 20 turns of 2micron copper wire. tri_pod
  19. tri_pod

No kidding:) @Hi Conrad Merry Christmas! I bet you liked the knurling tool bit. Yeah, I made the headshell 'cause I'm a po' boy and can't afford an Orsonic. The needle sounds OK and I'm still experimenting with damping materials. I had my doubts about tip mass as this design goes completely...
  20. tri_pod

Five or six months ago I made a knurling tool with the ultimate aim to make myself a homebrew version of an unusual mc cartridge with its triangular air core coils located near the stylus. The idea came from an original design made by Neumann during the early 60's. In recent years, this type...
  21. tri_pod

Two rants for the price of one.

The same thing happens here in my city. Especially supermarket delivery trucks and city council/municipal trucks. Most of these trucks are brandnew so there can be no problems with their starter motors. I'm also a bit paranoid about cars parking too close to mine - especially if there are...
  22. tri_pod

Shinola Runwell - Michael Fremer visits Detroit

It is very good for America and especially good for Detroit. I just don't like the name - Sssshinola Runwell...Ugggghhh. tri_pod
  23. tri_pod

Ever buy a turntable just for the cartridge?

Yes, I did. It was an older Dunlop Systemdek Transcription 'jelly fish' turntable which I bought for the Supex Black SD Super on the Grace G727 Gyro Master arm. I've still got the Supex as well as the Grace arm. The turntable didn't sound half bad but it was as ugly as sin with some sticky ass...
  24. tri_pod

Time to upgrade Tandberg Huldra 10!

Heck Zoom You have a terrific sense of humour. tri_pod
  25. tri_pod

Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Here's one of mine. This one is an oil bearing version and I also have two grease bearing 'tables. tri_pod
Back
Top Bottom