Search results

1. GreatGazoo

Opinion on state of dust cap glue/adhesive

Yea, you're right I shouldn't have lumped those two together.
  2. GreatGazoo

Well, the technical support team I was in contact with suggested a polychloroprene/neoprene based glue or alternatively (since it's easier to come by) wood glue. This is for my specific woofer. Honestly I'm a bit hesitant to use the non-PP friendly solvent based neoprene glue though, in case the...
  3. GreatGazoo

Hey Billa. Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been checking the forum during the summer months. I ended up contacting the manufacturer of the specific woofer (since the manufacturer of the subwoofer itself we're no help...) and they recommended me an adhesive they considered safe on this...
  4. GreatGazoo

Appreciate the input, The verdict seems pretty clear. I've started looking for adhesives that are safe on this specific cone/cap material and will have to take some action. Thanks again everyone.
  5. GreatGazoo

Thanks again. Good to hear that you believe that one can glue atop the existing layer, this makes the ordeal a bit more manageable than having to do a complete disassembly/reassembly. I might play it as is for a bit. since it will only see pretty low SPLs at my current location, but I'll have to...
  6. GreatGazoo

Appreciate the input (even if that definitely not is what I wanted to hear...) :) Would it be a solution to clean the area and apply a new circular layer atop the old adhesive, or would the old material have to be removed, in your opinion? If the latter is the case that is definitely not...
  7. GreatGazoo

Hi again Audiokarma, I've been checking and cleaning up a subwoofer I recently purchased. It had a few loose screws and was a little dirty etc. When inspecting the active downfiring 12" woofer - whilst removing the most eye-catching pieces of whatever material had accumulated during the years -...
  8. GreatGazoo

A bit of woofer anatomy [Help needed!]

Thanks once again for replying - and sorry for the late response. I had to skip the subwoofer-issues and deal with some other stuff for a bit. After tightening the drivers things seems to be working OK. The past behaviour is still somewhat puzzling to me, but when I have time I'll get it setup...
  9. GreatGazoo

Hey again guys, So, I finally got my new acquisition set up and tested today... Unfortunately it seems I realy screwed myself over buying this one without testing it :( At first I kinda thought it played OK. Maybe some minor rattling, but if so it escaped my attention due to other stuff in the...
  10. GreatGazoo

Hi Grenadeslio, Thanks for giving a real-world example of a similar situation :) I will stop worrying about the visible stuff and move on to actually getting it setup for testing as soon as I can (making sure that the mechanism that removed that part of the gasket didn't damage any other stuff).
  11. GreatGazoo

Hey goodolpg. I might have explained some parts poorly, or you may have misread something, because I am not sure what you mean. There is indeed a gasket on the woofer in the attached image, but this is not my driver. On mine the part marked by the red line is missing. Also I don't follow the...
  12. GreatGazoo

I will definitely take an extra look at the surround, as you suggest. But dare I say that I'm feeling a bit better about the whole situation at this moment. I appreciate the link, but I definitely do not have the nerves - nor the skills - to trust myself with removing and replacing the...
  13. GreatGazoo

Thanks a lot for taking time to reply Joe. Gasket is of course the word I was looking for. I know that gaskets are used to secure a proper seal (this is a closed design subwoofer), but I'm pretty sure that the sealing-part is taken care of by the underlying part, that the screws are fastened...
  14. GreatGazoo

Hi, I hope you can help me with a quick question; I just bought a subwoofer equipped with a RCF woofer. These often have a ring of a foamy material around the actual woofer surround (see yellow arrows in attached image). Unfortunately, I discovered that my recent purchase is missing a piece of...
  15. GreatGazoo

Subwoofer integration and LPF/HPF

Hi, I've come across an interesting subwoofer, but the knobs on the plate amp are giving me a legit headache :) Unsure if this is actually a common configuration or not, as I am used to studio/pro audio equipment. The thing is that I would suspect a subwoofer amp to have a knob for the...
  16. GreatGazoo

Something Ive wondered about (capacitors)

Thanks for replying. Interesting, albeit varied, observations :)
  17. GreatGazoo

Something Ive wondered about (capacitors)

Hi Let's say you own a solid state integrated amplifier and a pair of 3-way speakers with passive crossovers. They are of the same building quality, the same age and the wear and tear on the electronic components is assumed to be the same for both pieces of equipment. Would you recap the...
  18. GreatGazoo

Servicing crossovers

Well, I haven't really heard the speakers play optimally (only heard one of them play a few hours), so I don't really have any way of evaluating the sound of the new vs the old capacitors, as both crossovers will be serviced, but thanks for the tip. I wouldn't expect capacitor performance to...
  19. GreatGazoo

Servicing crossovers

Okay, I will take this into consideration (will get an estimate of what it will cost), thanks. Though I don't find the functioning speaker shrill, only the malfunctioning one. In this speaker the high frequencies are quite shrill and the mid range is also affected, making snares sound hollow.
  20. GreatGazoo

Servicing crossovers

Thanks for replying. No, I didn't actually swap the crossovers. A more experienced person helped me troubleshoot the speakers and since the problem persisted when the amplifier was switched, all 4 drivers in the 4-way speaker was seemingly affected and none of them showed obvious signs of being...
  21. GreatGazoo

Servicing crossovers

Thanks for replying. That's good to hear as the caps might still be all that needs to be fixed then :) Though in addition to decreased output from all drivers connected to that crossovers the middle to high frequencies also seems kinda shrill, could ESR also be the cause for this? Thanks again.
  22. GreatGazoo

Servicing crossovers

Hi I am in the proces of servicing a pair of crossovers, one seems to perform ok and the other is clearly causing issues with both the quality and the quantity of the output. I had hoped that the capacitors would turn out the be the root of these problems, but it seems they all measure within...
  23. GreatGazoo

Questions about tinsel leads (and -repair) + speaker wiring

Thanks for replying. Interesting alternative to soldering, I will consider it.
  24. GreatGazoo

Regarding the woofer I just want to know if I should worry that the tinsel leads (on both woofers) is dark/black. Could this be a sign that they have been overdriven? As mentioned the tinsel lead is not dark/black on the mid range drivers. But at the same time I find it weird that relatively...
  25. GreatGazoo

Hi. I have two questions regarding some old drivers (a woofer and a tweeter), both related to the tinsel leads, and a question about internal speaker wiring. The first question is about a woofer. The unit is a factory modified asymmetric KEF unit from a TDL Monitor speaker. It seems to work...
Back
Top Bottom