Search results

1. IMARC4

The classic newbie....and warped records

OK, so, placed pinch warped record into protective plastic inner sleeve, put onto the flat side of a 35 lb weight plate, then placed another flat side of a 35 pound weight on top of that. Wait 10 days. Result: pretty much nothing. I can honestly say I think it skips a little less. But it is...
  2. IMARC4

Mcintosh in salt air?

Hah, yes it is, but bank accounts can be short too ;) 20 years for me, we are probably talking about what the grandkids will be sifting through. My guess is it won't be the $$$ for you, just not liking to see good equipment breaking down.
  3. IMARC4

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Yes, no dot on my original "flip down". Was just interesting in that the site had a lot of stuff that looked original in some ways but still had the dots on them. Guess they can be "old" "aftermarket" ;)
  4. IMARC4

I checked out that website, lots of neat stuff. If there is a dot on the cantilever though, it is still aftermarket, yes???
  5. IMARC4

Mcintosh in salt air?

6. IMARC4

Mcintosh in salt air?

What thrift type stuff do you go for? I know that is super subjective, but what are the top brands you look for at salvation army (of the type that are going to reasonably show up there; I'm not talking about needle in the haystack luck of the draw stuff). Any you would avoid? Most of it...
  7. IMARC4

OK, say I ordered from a "common source" and got a 237-DET for my vintage Empire cart. Here is the box it came in. Note I was ordering for the E-III, and not the E-II, so need to find out if this was an error. I'm guessing they will say they are interchangeable, and I doubt the aftermarket...
  8. IMARC4

Decent price on Zerodust Onzow stylus cleaner

Looks pretty good! Are we at the "if it looks like zero dust, smells like zero dust, it must be zero dust" stage, or do we know for reasonably sure it is the same material? I imagine there is a lot of material that may look and feel similar?
  9. IMARC4

Empire DB-208 belt for 208, 298, 398

With everyone seeming to have trouble finding good belts I have been trying to make sure I keep mine running as long as I can before needing to replace it. While checking out the needle I noticed what seems to be the beginning of some initial shredding (far left). Any thoughts on the benefit...
  10. IMARC4

AR AX no anti skating

Decided to test my old eyes and actually the needle is not bent as much as I thought..... The first two obviously at rest. Middle one at rest but on the LP. Last two as the record is spinning. Also learning just how much I need bifocals. But it looks like if it is bent, at all, it is...
  11. IMARC4

AR AX no anti skating

I have an Empire 398, which as mentioned has no antiskate. I use a M91-ED at 1.5 tracking force. After about 6 months there is a slight bend, fairly subtle for now, and more pronounced when the needle is on an actual record. I don't think it sounds as good as it used to, but that is pretty...
  12. IMARC4

Gotcha ;) Understood now. We'll see if my pinch warp (thanks Joe) gets turned into a horizontal warp as well (assuming sitting between the two weightlifting plates does anything at all).
  13. IMARC4

Yeah, I think you are mostly right. I'm just having a hard time always "seeing" the warp in a dark corner of the antique store or wherever, so it is always just disappointing when you spend a bunch of time cleaning it after you get home and *argh*. Just for fun, I placed it inbetween the two...
  14. IMARC4

If by a "horizontal warp", you mean it is still flat but no longer a true circle, I don't think that is what I have here. It is a definite bump, but seems more pronounced the closer to the edge you get. At a 3 TF for the first song, it is still bumping all over the place. On the second song...
  15. IMARC4

OK, I have already been presented with a lot of jokes regarding how to "unwarp" records :beatnik:. But SERIOUSLY, is there a real way to do this? Even with some I can get to play by upping the TF, at some point that can't be good for the needle. If a record is not a total lost cause...
  16. IMARC4

Got it now that I realize that the original pignose I see in the old Empire lit, and also the flipdowns, are both "original"/old. I thought there was an aftermarket flipdown for a second there and got confused. Thanks for the clarification. I just ordered a couple of the 237-DETs, and will post...
  17. IMARC4

Eh, the needle I got on there seemed dubious. Based on your post, it sounds like that was not an old stock needle anyways (because it has the flip guard). I'll try ordering a new 237-DET and see how it goes. But, fairly new to this and still not sure I'm following you 100%. When you say...
  18. IMARC4

What was the last movie you watched?

Now available for your HI-FI enjoyment............. .
  19. IMARC4

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

GOAT OST: Horner's Aliens - chest bursters and speaker woofers
  20. IMARC4

Insert Beck joke here: New unit (on right; a demonstrator unit) came with a E/III 2000 cart. I'll slog through the postings and cull suggestions. Already got some good (but disheartening) advice from wualta, hopefully the needle that came with it is still in good shape. Anyone have any idea...
  21. IMARC4

Empire cartridges?

Just got my 2000 E/III today. What replacement needle did you end up liking the best on it? Currently, it came with a used needle from Empire, clear housing with the "flip down" needle protector
  22. IMARC4

Some Empire Turntable History

Yeah, post it here (or edit your initial post). There are some of us who will read it no matter how long it is. There is something else here in AK called "albums" I have never played with, but you might be able to post it there and then include a link to it at the end of your original post.
  23. IMARC4

Some Empire Turntable History

Credit where credit is due: just got a new 398 that came with a thick "instruction manual". Right after the photocopies of the official manual was a familiar post :) Guess this is required reading!
  24. IMARC4

Give me some artists that you feel are great but the average person doesn't know of.

Ah, yes, "Kites" & "Waves" :) Probably a vanguard in ambient / international new age without even knowing what to call it at the time (early 70s). Supposedly Winwood was a fan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Warrior_(band)
  25. IMARC4

What do you think are the sexiest female voices?

Jennifer Charles Kim Deal
Back
Top Bottom