Search results

1. Y

audionics cc-2

bay special was told it worked great bought as working unit showed up with loose transformer bolts and a seemingly dead left channel. dc offset in left channel was just over 200 mv that couldnt be adjusted out and 0-.01mv bias voltage that cannot be adjusted to any difference. replaced a 10uf...
  2. Y

Dayton Br-1 dennis murphy x-over

these are very, very, good now. DO NOT FORGET film bypass cap on 47uf electrolytic for impedance compensation, if left out the fidelity of everything coming from the woofer will be veiled i actually messaged DM with my first impressions upon first assembly theorizing the br-1's stock...
  3. Y

schiit

so uh, who else knows the truth? the saga s might be the best bargain in a pre amp on the market, makes the preamp of my c326 sound kind of bad
  4. Y

another stupid speaker wire thread

never been one to take part in the speaker wire debate, I’ve heard music through some pretty supposedly incredible elaborately wound super hifi wire and didn’t hear a lick of difference between my “bottom shelf” approach to speaker wire long time ago I bought a lot of 12 and 14 gauge ofc copper...
  5. Y

what would cause this to happen?

what would cause an integrated amplifier to lose power in one channel only for the other channel to get even louder?
  6. Y

Olson lab series 355 weak left channel

little old cap coupled amp that developed a bit of a balance issue. the left channel is so weak I must have the balance set at about 8 o clock and turn the volume all the way up to get a reasonable volume. the right channel will get very loud if balance is left centered. not sure if the right...
  7. Y

olson solid state lab series 355

little output capacitor integrated amplifier that just won its spot in my garage over a pioneer sa-8100. the 8100 is the better sounding amp just not on those speakers or in that garage if that makes sense. the olson has such a special sound to it that it is hard to describe. the top end is way...
  8. Y

denon pma-1080r

what a nice sounding unit. very low distortion, very well defined bass, very clean sound, lots of power. a solid benchmark reference in solid state performance if you ask me, doesnt seem to be missing anything in its frequency response the burble of bass strings is very accurate. i am...
  9. Y

sx-737 vs sa-8100

got a 939 i really like and im looking to get that sort of sound in my garage now too. got an opportunity for either the 737 or 8100 locally at the moment both for around the same price each. what sonic differences are there between them and which would you prefer after owning both
  10. Y

sx-750 vs sx-939

i have both, ive listened to both, and ive already made my judgement on these particular units as far as im concerned. but i would like to know from those who know how these two units sound compared to each other, just to see if maybe one of them isnt up to spec for a fair comparison or if...
  11. Y

sx-939 wont power on

alright boys just picked up a pretty crusty sx-939 for less than a c note. aside from the tuning knob been sheared off and being 8-10 dirty its in pretty decent cosmetic shape. was advertised as having something rattling around inside of it, turns out thats the mono/loudness board as it broke...
  12. Y

hpm-40 tweeters

i have a pair of first gen hpm-40’s and need to know if the HF tweeters from first gen to second are directly interchangeable and also if the updated midrange is any form of interchangeable and if so, how interchangeable?
  13. Y

first gen hpm-40’s

recently snagged a pair of em along with an sx-750 and im trying to decide what i should do with em. the woofers need refoamed, one speakers hf tweeter is out and ones cone tweeter is out the grills/metal emblem pin are in excellent condition veneer paper is peeling pretty good but cabinets...
  14. Y

vintage gear redux

ive come a long way in my audio journey from likely a lot of clapped out vintage pieces and maybe some decent running ones to some john curl parasound stuff that really takes the cake. the order in which i arrived to where i am makes a lot of sense with the last thing i was using before the...
  15. Y

thought i was done with vintage gear

a little story for perspective before i get to the point since finding my way into some parasound gear a few years back i sold all the vintage units i had. of the units i had they were clearly lacking vs the parasound stuff. the last few vintage units i had were what “made the cut” over the...
  16. Y

synergy is a thing

so ive spent a lot of time listening to a lot of different gear on the speakers i have and have widdled my way down to a luxman r-117 and mcs 3285 as the mainstay parts of three different systems (i have two 3285’s). point of this is, i bought some jbl northridge series nd310 speakers a few...
  17. Y

who has experienced sonic improvements from recap?

like the title states, im looking for incentive to recap parts of an NEC a-910 integrated amp i have. i noticed yesterday running a different pre amp (adcom gtp-450) through its amp that it sounded other worldly good. its not a legit direct power amp in though, its an eq loop and the power amp...
  18. Y

The best gear few care about

ive been thinking lately how damn good my mcs 3285 receiver(s) truly are. personally i dont find them to be ugly either, i rather like the way they look. it is a receiver that has a reputation for being ugly though. my “garage” 3285 gets used nearly every day, and sometimes all day long and it...
  19. Y

best haul yet

so i come across some speakers listed on letgo with a vague title and description with the asking price being “negotiable”. one thing wasnt vague about the speakers and that was the McIntosh Mc logo in the bottom right corner. i googled some Mc speakers and sure enough these are the xr-14’s i...
  20. Y

sound signature

just picked up a luxman r-117 to try against my nec a-910 that i regularly use.. both of them sound incredibly clean, powerful, warm, detailed, and crisp... but they sound pretty damn different!! two completely different sound signatures that both force me to simply enjoy the music rather than...
  21. Y

ka-880d+kt-880d

whats the general consensus on this amp and tuner?
  22. Y

amplifier design from then til now

from the 70’s where the watts are considered most genuine, to the 80’s that have a sincerely bad reputation as well as a sincerely good reputation, to the 90’s where things really started to technologically take off for the boutique market despite the mass market sales gearing almost entirely...
  23. Y

which direction does this call for

**for the sake of keeping it from getting too confusing im going to leave this nonsense alone and start fresh with new posts just bought a newer amp that didnt agree with some high end 80’s speakers as well as the one i tried to replace it with; its too bright and turning the tweeter down cant...
  24. Y

the trial and tribulation in trying to upgrade amps

have you ever bought a piece of gear that you expected to outperform your current gear and it wasnt quite what you expected based on age and reputation as well as theoretically technological advancements in amp and circuitry design in general? i always wonder just how much further along...
  25. Y

marantz DR-120’s

anyone have any info on these? totl from 1982-1985 apparently so they are a product of the philips acquisition.. they sound very good!
Back
Top Bottom