Search results

1. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I'm going to keep an eye out for the power conditioner... In the meantime, I'm just enjoying this combination. It's so sweet with the Wharfedales... That's part of the problem with the hum actually... Because the speakers are so sensitive and transparent, you get that 'headphone effect' when...
  2. Kilroy73

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street 1972, Rolling Stones Records
  3. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Well, I hooked the PA-5 back in and no change when moving the dimmer... So I moved the power strip for just the stereo stuff to a different outlet, and that actually made a noticeable difference. Still there, but better... I got a high quality, heavy extension cord I use for my welder, and...
  4. Kilroy73

Sell or keep: B&W DM100i vs JBL s38be

Well I went over and spent some time with the JBLs. They're mid bass monsters for a bookshelf speaker... Seem to roll off somewhere between 100 and 200hz, but above that, there's lots of punch and musicality. Highs are a little muddy compared to better speakers, but they still had a decent...
  5. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I definitely plan to check it. Thanks, Freddy. However, it's nowhere near 107F at the sinks right now, and it's never seen a 4ohm load. The only speakers this has ever seen is the same pair of Klipsch belle's he bought it with. In fact, I'm pretty sure the amp section has never been used...
  6. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Yes, I read a Nelson Pass post about this from a few years ago, on the DIY Audio forum. I definitely plan on doing this when time allows... Right now I'm just trying to play it as much as possible and see what happens... My dad is the kind of listener who never sits still for more than 10min...
  7. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Interesting... That sounds like what I was hearing too! there may just be something with that outlet. One thing I should probably check though. That outlet is fed by the same circuit as the lighting, which is LED recessed lights on a dimmer for watching movies... Those lights have never...
  8. Kilroy73

Well I've had the B&Ws since new and always liked them... I understand their speakers are not everyone's ultimate speaker, but for a set of bookshelfs, I'm not sure you could ask a whole lot more. So to be clear, the JBL's would probably have to blow me away to win out over the sound and...
  9. Kilroy73

Hi guys, I can only keep one set of bookshelf speakers right now... I've had the DM100is since new and always liked them in a small room. I just got the JBL s38BEs... They're really pretty and say Made in USA on them, but I haven't had a chance to work them into the system for a listen... So...
  10. Kilroy73

11. Kilroy73

12. Kilroy73

13. Kilroy73

14. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Well I pulled the PA-5 out of the equation for now... I don't think it was the problem. I agree with the thought that there's something wrong with the ground on the pre-outs on the TA-3a... That sounds the most logical. But the main reason I made the change was that my daughter started...
  15. Kilroy73

Wharfedale W70 (and similar) Experience

I just upgraded to a Nakamichi TA-3A and PA-5 combo with my w70s and it's like a whole other world, especially off the tuner. On my little 20wpc Denon Receiver, they had good imaging and soundstage depth... But with the Nak, the clarity is finally where it should be and the presence is better...
  16. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Yeah, so the hum is still there and seems to originate with the TA-3A. If have my ear over the transformer when I start up the receiver, it has a definite hum to it. You can hear it when you first turn it on and before it clicks into listening mode. I'll take another look at the cables but...
  17. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Well, the house is finally quiet enough to do a real test. There's still a slight buzzing hum when both the TA-3A and the PA-5 are on but with the volume knob turned down all the way. With the mute button pushed the buzzing goes almost all away. With the TA-3A completely off but still...
  18. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I finally got a chance to clean up all the wiring behind the stereo, and added another power strip dedicated to the audio equipment. While doing this, I noticed the google fiber wall wart was humming. Not sure if that was what did it or not but I can't hear any hum right now. I'm going to test...
  19. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I tried a different pre-amp. I didn't use the Denon because it doesn't have pre-outs, but I connected it to a B&K Ref 20 that does, and the hum was still there.
  20. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Yeah, I was forced to edit that post... The hum diminished for sure, but it's still slightly there. When I get a little more time, I'm going to pull everything out and clean up the cords and maybe see if I can get another power strip in there.
  21. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Well, I thought I found the problem... The comment about the bad ground somewhere, got me thinking, so I swapped the power cord on the amp for another and the original Hum went away. But after the kids quieted down and the amp came up to temp, there's still a slight hum there. It's hard to hear...
  22. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I tried different interconnects, including some component connects. No change I connected the PA-5 to my B&k Ref 20 with the most shielded interconnects I have and no other electronics on. Still have the hum.
  23. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Well, I do know the history of this preamp... It was my Dads, and was babied it's entire life. My dad wasn't into long listening sessions or concert level volumes, so I doubt heat was ever an issue. He never ran a 4 ohm load either. And I'm pretty sure this was always used as a preamp. He...
  24. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

Good call. No, when I completely remove the cables from the pre-amp the hum is gone. Shutting off the receiver doesn't completely remove it. But disconnecting the amp from the preamp, with the speakers still connected and the amp on, removes the hum. Yes, both channels and as far as I can...
  25. Kilroy73

Nakamichi PA-5 hum

I just picked up a Nakamichi TA-3a and a PA-5... I hooked up the TA-3a and listened to it for a couple days by itself and it sounded great. Phono stage was a vast improvement over my Denon and the amp was clearly better too. Then today I wanted to hear the PA-5, even though it's got the...
Back
Top Bottom