Search results

1. S

Smaller than a breadbox...

The ones I just replaced in my Sansui during a recent rebuild were actually 1/4 Watt (4x10mm). They are roughly the same length as the present 1/2 watt carbon films, just a tad bit wider though. I ended up upgrading them all to 1/2 watt metal films since they fit better than the smaller 1/4 watts.
  2. S

How to tell if a resistor is going bad

Set your multimeter to Ohms. Touch one of the probes to one leg of the resistor and the other probe to the other leg. Then check the reading on the meter and see if it is the same value that the resistor bands say. If you don't know how to read a resistor I suggest a quick "google", there are...
  3. S

So how do you let your significant other know about a puchase?

For me it's more like.... "You know the rule... if it doesn't get used in 3 months.. it goes." (but the same goes for her shoe collection. If it isn't worn in 3 months then its "donated")
  4. S

Mica insulators and thermal grease??

Do you normally put thermal grease on new mica insulators for TO-3 transistors?
  5. S

I think i got bogus transistors.........

Just got my genuine OnSemi MJ21194 s from Digikey yesterday.... 3.77 a piece. They ship out the same day you order and it takes a whole 3 days of waiting.... why bother with Ebay with this kind of service???
  6. S

5000a vs. 5000x - Tape Head vs. Phono 2

No labeling issue.... the 5000x is the only one with 2 phono inputs. You would have to get an A-B box to do side-by-side TT comparison with the 5000a.
  7. S

Making a case for a 5000a

There is a section in the service manual for custom mounting your 5000. It has dimensions for opening and runners.... follow the link! http://www.hifi-museum.com/lib/lib_fs.htm
  8. S

Prettiest woods for speakers and hi-fi cases?

Really depends on your budget. Rosewood is great but you can go broke if you build solid wood cabinets with it. Last time I checked at my lumber supplier it was 40 bucks a board foot (1x12x12). Walnuts always the cheaper choice and stains well. Cocobola is great and looks like rosewood...
  9. S

Output transistors get hot on one channel only...

I have the PCB and parts list.. and a schematic of the F-6013 board from the Service Bulletin when they made the final switch.... and a schematic of the F-6013 boards which looks like it was from the full diagram but was cropped out out the original( it's a PDF). So there is a full schematic out...
  10. S

I plan to pull the board in question tonight and double check my work. I rebuilt both board at the same time with identical parts so the problem would seem to be with my soldering. If everything looks good I'll swap the boards and see if the same thing happens with the board I know that works in...
  11. S

There are a couple of surplus stores in my area that have some oscilloscopes (I live pretty close to Los Alamos and Sandia Labs, lot of left over equipment from the nuclear days).... what would I need to look for if I were to get one. Any recommendations/specs??
  12. S

Any leads on a cheap scope? Since I used all new parts I would have to suspect it was something in my soldering job. I am not familiar with what "oscillating" means in reference to the amp. I assume that it means the transistors are doing something they shouldn't be..:scratch2: , I'll check...
  13. S

The 5000x is a cap. coupled amp so you have to set the Bias by removing a speaker fuse and taking the mA reading there (which by the manual specs is ~20mA's). The output is adjusted by measuring the high output transistor collector voltage and setting the low transistor voltage to 1/2 the...
  14. S

sr-535 tt help

Hard to say on this one without knowing the lift mechanism type. Not a model I'm familiar with... is it a mechanical lift or electro/magnetic?. The majority of the TT's I've worked on over the years have some kind of mechanical lift system. These type systems operate the lift when the tonearm...
  15. S

I just finished rebuilding both driver boards for a Sansui 5000x, full replacement of all parts. Put her back together, adjusted the Bias and Output to specs... and it seems that the left channel output transistors get pretty hot. Measured both channels and the left channel transistors read 120...
  16. S

Transistor sub question... I'm confused, again...

Thanks for all the great information everyone! Looks like I'll just go with the regular 2SC632A's and then swap out the 2SC458's with either the 2sc2240's or 2sc1345's recommend by Fred. We'll give it a shot and let you know what happens! Thanks again!
  17. S

Upon further research, I found that TR601 & TR602 are really 2SC458's (at least thats whats on the board now). The third error I've found in the service manual so far. I guess when I'm done with this receiver I will release an updated and definitive 5000x Service Manual with all the...
  18. S

The Data sheet says the Sony made them.. but haven't been able to find a Cross-reference database for Sony. Would be nice if they had semi-conductor website for referencing things like this.
  19. S

Moved on to rebuilding the EQ Amp board.... The transistor listed are 2SC632A-71, 2SC632A-81 (see board layout pic.) I believe they are Sony transistors ... I can find the data sheets for 2SC632A but nothing with a -71 or -81. Their cases are slightly different, but I can't find any...
  20. S

Amplifier noise...

Thanks for all the great information everyone. I completely rebuilt the Driver Amp boards from the ground up... which fixed the original problem of really crappy sound. Now that it is loud and clear... you can hear everything... louder. Didn't notice it so much before because of the poor sound...
  21. S

Output Adjustment....

Thanks Stene... I was referring to the output voltage to the meter.... wrong terminology on my part. Do you go back and recheck the bias current afterwards? I assume that you have to got back and forth between the bias and output adjustments until everything settles down to specs...
  22. S

Amplifier noise...

I'm working on a recap of a 5000x... from the driver boards back... guess I haven't got far enough in yet.. still have all the old Oil caps to go...
  23. S

Output Adjustment....

So I measure the output of TR807 (which from the manual, should be around 80V) and then reconnect the meter to TR809 and then adjust the Variable Resistor to measure "half" what the TR807 measurement was?
  24. S

Amplifier noise...

So .... are we talking about a pre-amp board and not the Driver boards? Where is the best place to start?
  25. S

Dual fet 2sk97 for my SANSUI ???

http://audiolabga.com/mal_cart/data_html/2SK.html Scroll to the bottom... looks like 6.50 ea.
Back
Top Bottom