Search results

1. dcreek

Words that were once common, now gone extinct

"stud muffin" SNAG--(sensitive new-age guy!) Mack-Daddy
  2. dcreek

'Achilles heel' How many know what that reference is?
  3. dcreek

When I was a kid the critical question was: " Who's your favourite Beatle?" ....when was the last time you heard that?
  4. dcreek

The Nihililistic Password Security Question Game

....the age you were when you finally admitted you were going bald....
  5. dcreek

What was the last movie you watched?

'Eroica' A BBC film of Beethovens first performance of his third symphony. An absolute feast.
  6. dcreek

Polydome replacement

Keep us posted on your thoughts when you replace your polydomes. ... ....and thanks.
  7. dcreek

I like all the Cronenburg films I've watched and this is the most recent. A dystopian future where cosmetic surgery / body mutilation are treated as a 'fetishist sport'. The comments on our society are obvious - and to think he actually wrote the story in the eighties is pretty amazing.
  8. dcreek

Okey dokey Down to brass tacks The whole kit and caboodle Lock, stock and barrel
  9. dcreek

"Hold your horses!"
  10. dcreek

.... .....yeah, some think the term is old fashioned or demeaning... A friend of mine feels (I think ) it ages her..... If in doubt I just say 'dear ', seems to work. My Scottish and English relatives would say 'hen' or 'pet' and that seems to work for them.
  11. dcreek

The Nihililistic Password Security Question Game

....the name of the boat you were on when it sank halfway across the Pacific. ..
  12. dcreek

"My Dinner with Andre" First saw this in the early eighties. Makes me think of a Herman Hesse novel; "Narcisse and Goldmund". Hard to 'classify ' this film-- two guys having a conversation over dinner--but I still enjoyed it.
  13. dcreek

2013 release, set in Quebec: Three longtime friends head out on their annual fishing trip but take a wild detour....with unexpected consequences. A very low key film: no chase scenes, no gunfights, pyrotechnics or special effects. Just an excellent story well told. P.S. my version was...
  14. dcreek

A friend of mine (a New Zealander ) used to say; "rattle yer dags" to indicate a time to hurry.
  15. dcreek

I've been working at our airport these past few months. I've become 'exhausted ' with the security protocols and referred to the term "Checkpoint Charley ". I'm surprised how many people are unfamiliar with it.
  16. dcreek

How about: "full steam ahead" " damn the torpedoes"
  17. dcreek

'Ravenous ' A whodunit, zombie, cannibal thriller set in the American frontier. (I kid you not!) I'm still laughing, and I don't think they intended it to be a comedy.
  18. dcreek

'little nipper' ( another naval term)
  19. dcreek

Fortnight. (My parents used that word when I was young )
  20. dcreek

When I was a kid we (Canadians ) used to call sofas; 'chesterfields'.
  21. dcreek

A lot of words and phrases falling into extinction (disuse ) originated in the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars: Loose cannon Scuttlebut Son-of-a-gun The cat's out of the bag The devil to pay 'Tween the devil and the deep blue sea Davey Jones locker Spitfire (originally a small headsail...
  22. dcreek

How about 'skull-duggery'
  23. dcreek

Saw that show many years ago. Enjoyed Jim Carrey's antics. I felt the producers missed the mark, though; it's too dark to be a 'kids' show and too 'juvenile ' to appeal to an adult audience.
  24. dcreek

"The African Queen" ...the scene where he goes back into the water (after stating how disgusted - horrified ) by leaches he is.... Makes my skin crawl.
Back
Top Bottom