Search results

1. R

Can you identify any good coming from the C-Bug shutdown?

I'll start: Many families out on bicycles or walking, spending time together outdoors.
  2. R

Saved TEAC

Model A-3340S was headed to the recycler, but a friend caught it. Pretty clean outside and in, but obviously has issues. Powers on, capstan motor runs and belt is intact, , no animation otherwise with a tape threaded on. No response from FFWD, REV, PLAY switches. Needs some of my time, but it...
  3. R

big ole speaker pic ID requested

standing in a thrift store...
  4. R

Moving way too much equipment

I have started moving things from a 3rd floor apartment down to my car to drive over to the house that I will soon be in. After hauling just 9 receivers down the stairs and running them over to the house, I returned and stopped to estimate the size of the task at hand. It looks to me like 40...
  5. R

Back in my house

I settled a divorce with my X recently and took possession of my house in the process. I have been working on cleaning 6 years of cigarette smoke and general neglect out of the house since July 1. I had a restoration/cleaning company give me $4k worth of effort in cleaning specific portions of...
  6. R

A gifted Yamaha R-50 is returned

I bought this at a yard sale for $5 about 10 years ago. I gifted this R-50 to my daughter around 6 years back, and it is now back with me. I saw only one picture of one on the entirety of the AK site, so I thought that I would upload a photo of this one. A poor cellphone photo is all I can...
  7. R

Silvertone Console info?

Hi all, My first post to the Tube Audio forum: I have inherited an orphaned Silvertone Console Model 4084. It has a nice mid-century modern styling. It was my Ex's grandmother's. I hasn't worked in 30-odd years. Cats have ruined the grill cloth and it is covered in cigarette smoke, but it is...
  8. R

In praise of Arrow Electronics: stellar service and my new goto source for parts

Arrow Electronics now defines "awesome service" for me. Yesterday I ordered a protection relay and some diodes for my SX-950, thinking that I might tinker with the speaker protection board next weekend. It was just a $20 order, small stuff. I placed the order at 7PM last night. The order...
  9. R

Thrift find: Elac Miracord 760

I found this turntable today for $25. It looks pretty clean. A Shure cartridge is mounted, but I can see nearly nothing of it. The dustcover could use a bit of polishing, but it has no serious damage. It appears to function mechanically, but there is some mechanical noise linked to the platter...
  10. R

Just recapped a SA-6500ii, well worth the work

I found an SA-6500ii in a thrift store a few weeks back. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/best-thrift-store-goodwill-sa-finds.6803/page-1245#post-11547831 The cover is a bit rusty, there is still some mildew in the corners, and it has a few bumps and bruises, but I really liked...
  11. R

Sherwood appreciation weekend

I have my speakers in the living room system hooked up through an impedance matching switch that has a dual amp capability. Using a input selection switch connected in reverse, for the past few weeks I have been swapping receivers into the system, and comparing them to the refurbished Pioneer...
  12. R

recommendations for source for integrated amplifier

I picked up a very clean Onkyo A-8048V (Sanyo 4044V amp modules) at a thrift store. I found that it is stuck in protect mode. I checked voltages at the amp pin connects to the board and find voltages way off on one of them. I am betting that the amp module has internal damage, and that that is...
  13. R

Pioneer Sound Project Model 300

I found this little unit in a thrift store this afternoon. It looked clean, so I rolled the dice on it. It's apparently from the x3x series, 7 W/ch. It's lived a charmed life. Aside from a bit of dust the inside is clean. There is a little mark on one knob, and a few tiny nicks. Other than...
  14. R

Added near-field speakers

My living room system is flanked by 5 speakers on each side (The Great Wall of Yard Sale Sound). My computer table is in the center, beside the sound system. I have been using this setup for some time now, switching between speaker with the A/B selector, with 4 sets hooked to B via an...
  15. R

Gifted Onkyo TX-3000

A local fellow on Facebook advertised an Onkyo TX-3000 for free. I went by and picked it up yesterday. Steve, the owner, is a very generous man. The exterior is pretty clean, with only a little lost paint on the Onkyo label at the lower left. The interior had quite a bit of dust, but it...
  16. R

Listening to the Realistic STA-90

I bought a turntable a couple of months back simply because it is was $4 (Pioneer PL-7). I did not notice the missing stylus until I got home. So I set it aside. No problem, I like CDs. Yesterday I stumbled upon another cheap Sony turntable at GW. The table appeared to have lived a sheltered...
  17. R

Rotated my 771 into the bedroom today

I have too many receivers. My Sansui 771 has been sitting in the corner for 6 months or so. I refurbished it last year because it developed nasty cracking noises after warming up. New caps and transistors took care of that, but I set it aside to play with new toys. I pulled it out for a...
  18. R

Just stumbled upon a Mark Knopfler tune

I had never heard this album, but I really like this gentle tune from it. 0
  19. R

Beautiful evening

I made a meat loaf this afternoon. Lots of onion and green pepper, garlic and cajun seasoning, some liquid smoke, and some bread crumbs and egg to glue it all together. Baked at 350F for 1 hr. in a 9x9 inch square pan. Halfway to done, I threw in the oven alongside it a cast iron skillet full of...
  20. R

Saw a couple of Pardigm towers at a local thrift store

Kicking myself for not snapping a couple of photos, but I was in a hurry. They did not look high end in their black oak-grained vinyl. 3 drivers: 2 ~4" diameter with translucent polymeric cones (looked identical, and from the leads visible thru the cones, both looked driven.) 1 dome...
  21. R

sonata turntable console

A local thrift store has a Sonata Hi-Fi Stereo console record player. I do not know the name, but a Google search turns up what looks like finely built consoles with Telefunken tuners. Nothing but the turntable in this one. The mid-century modern cabinet in this one does not appear to be high...
  22. R

Heathkit Amp and Tuner of CL, Hampton Roads, VA

I just saw this. Posted yesterday. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/ele/5878418138.html
  23. R

What el cheapo systems still tickle your fancy? Include pics.

I am not looking for the McIntosh system that your Uncle Moe sold you for $1. I am looking for underdogs here. Things that were low end in their best days, but still worthy in their own right. I will start with my present bedroom system: Realistic TM-100 tuner with a Radio Shack Archer...
  24. R

ADS M9 midrange repair

I found a pair of ADS M9 speakers in a thrift store for $10. The midranges are both dead, poked out domes, at least one needing a voice coil. Woofers and tweeters are OK. Can I replace the domes on the mids or am I stuck with looking for new drivers?
  25. R

Pioneer CS-A31 speakers

I was in a thrift shop today, and as I was at the register a guy carries in a pair of Pioneer CS-A31s. Very nice looking speaker with a sort of woven gold grill and fine looking veneer. Little sign of damage, but some mold due to living in his garage for the last few years. The guy said they...
Back
Top Bottom