Search results

1. crooner

Bucking Transformer, Variac, finding the ideal input AC voltage...

Hi All, I have been running my Marantz 9 monoblocks since 2014 using bucking transformers. Namely the Radio Shack 273-1511B which is 12.6V (center tapped) at 3 amps. They are connected to the center tap to provide approximately 6V reduction compared to the input AC line voltage. I recently...
  2. crooner

Anyone in the Netherlands? I need to buy something off Marktplaats

Hi all! I just saw my childhood shortwave radio selling online on Marktplaats located in the Netherlands. It's not easy to find this model, and I have searched for years for an example. I'd love to have it again for old time's sake. I am not able to register on the site since it asks for some...
  3. crooner

Ultimate Marantz 7T Restoration Thread

Hi there fellow AK'ers. I was contacted recently by member Trucker1964 to restore his mint condition Marantz 7T. Having heard my Marantz 7 as restored in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ultimate-marantz-model-7-restoration-thread.727823/ He asked me if it was...
  4. crooner

Say hello to my little friend: Custom Built Dynaco Stereo 35

With a pair of Marantz 9's I shouldn't be messing with tiny EL84 amps, but I always wanted to build my own tube amp, specially a vintage Dynakit. Having owned many Stereo 70's in the past, and a pair of Mark IV's in the mid 1990s, I was ready to revisit a Z565 based Dynaco. I briefly owned a...
  5. crooner

Technics SL-P555 CD Player - Circa 1989 - MASH DAC - Restoration Thread

Hi guys and gals, I have always had a soft spot for Technics CD players, specially those from the late 80's, early 90's with their unique MASH 1 bit DAC and colorful FL displays. I recently discovered their 1989 line was actually the first to feature MASH technology but it was disguised as "18...
  6. crooner

Ultimate Marantz Model 7 Restoration Thread

I have been a fan of the Model 7 preamplifier for almost thirty years now. It was one of the first american vacuum tube Hi-Fi products that appreciated dramatically at the beginning of the 1980's as demand from the far east, specially Japan, often outstripped the supply. The Model 7, introduced...
  7. crooner

Earliest Marantz 7T Version

I came across what it must be one of the very first Marantz 7T's ever made. It features a brown painted chassis like the earlier 7C tube model. Prior to seeing this, I had thought all 7T's were painted black. The unit is featured at Western Labo, a Japanese shop specialized in vintage audio...
  8. crooner

Marantz 9's monoblocks are in da house!!!

Please refer to this Link for the initial scoop on how I acquired these amps. Well... my recently acquired Marantz 9's made it here safe and sound today after traveling all the way from New Jersey. I took a day off from work (boss wasn't too happy since we are swamped with work at the...
  9. crooner

Amazing New eBay Scam!

Sorry if this has already been posted but there is a new scam scheme on eBay in which a high value item is listed with a lowish Buy It now. When you go to the page, it immediately switches to a cloned eBay page but it is actually the hacker/scammers page since it logs you out of eBay. The idea...
  10. crooner

Help Me Make A Decision: Marantz 8B Purchase

Hi Fellas! I have the opportunity of buying a Marantz 8B tube amp which I plan to store as a backup for the unit I am using right now. This is not a local purchase, so I do not have the opportunity to inspect the unit in person. The amplifier looks great cosmetically and it has never been...
  11. crooner

Request for New York City pickup

Hi Folks! Merry Christmas. I am looking for a fellow AK member in the NYC area to pick up an APS in-tenna indoor attic FM antenna for me. I really want this antenna for my Marantz tuner and a fellow audiophile has one for free pick-up. He won't ship. Of course, I will take care of all necessary...
  12. crooner

Rogers LS3/5A Restoration

Hi Fellas! Finally scored a pair of these excellent little speakers. Ever since I moved to a Condo I was looking for musically satisfying speakers that would be perfect for smaller quarters. The 15 ohm load should match my Marantz 8B just nicely. These Rogers LS3/5A's date from early 1984 and...
  13. crooner

Mount Wilson (Los Angeles) Expected To Burn Tonight

Most of LA stations have facilities there. Here's the webcam shot from the observatory: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~obs/towercam.htm My prayers go out to the 2 dead firefighters and their families. If you are close, be safe. I have tuned my Sony XDR-F1HD to FM LA stations right now, but most...
  14. crooner

Perseids Meteor Scatter FM DX

Tuned my Sony XDR-F1HD to 90.1, a clear slot in my area. Opened the window and watched a meteor pass right on top of roof mounted APS-9B Yagi. Immediately heard a nice burst of FM signals from faraway places. Too short to ID. Fun nonetheless! :D
  15. crooner

Experience the sound of the Marantz 10B tuner...

Took me a whole day to record, edit and synchronize the thing, but I have finally uploaded a video of my Marantz 10B that really gives you the feel of operating the tuner. Instead of a video with tinny audio from the digital camera, I recorded a separate audio file at CD resolution (44.1 kHz/16...
  16. crooner

Scored pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers!!

Stopped by the local Salvation Army today. I was surprised to find a pair of Dynaco speakers hidden underneath the used records and tapes bin. No model number on them, but the "Made in Denmark" and binding posts on the rear, suggested they could be A-25's. Once home I pried away the grilles...
  17. crooner

Dynaco SCA-35 restoration (with stuffed filter cans)

Hi Guys and Gals! I've always been interested in learning how to stuff twist lock caps with modern miniature electrolytics. It respects the classic appearance of the unit being restored. My first patient is a mint cosmetic condition factory wired Dynaco SCA-35 integrated amp from 1965...
  18. crooner

Ultimate Marantz 8B Tube Complement (lots of pics!)

Hi fellas! Finally realized the ultimate tube complement for this classic amp: Original GEC KT77s, RCA Clear Top 6CG7s with center shield and Amperex Holland E90Fs (6BH6 substitute). The KT77s are GEC small brown bases from 1968 labeled Westinghouse and Sylvania for the Canadian market...
  19. crooner

Interesting new website for FM nuts: FMfool.com

Just checking this out. Tons of interesting features to determine reception conditions in your precise location. Plots, graphs and lots of data. Dunno how accurate it really is, but worth playing with! http://www.fmfool.com
  20. crooner

Sony XDR-F1HD first impressions as a DX machine on a budget

Intrigued by this post By fellow AK'er Bastek, I bought this little guy last night at my local Fry's for $99 plus tax. The smaller footprint is ideal when space is at a premium. My rack is already populated with tube gear, digital rig and turntable. Didn't have a spare shelf for a full sized...
  21. crooner

Sangean HDT-1X HD Radio Tuner: Impressions...

Fellas: Been curious about the whole HD Radio thing for quite some time. I have followed the progress made in the past couple of years with new models coming out. I was particularly interested in the component tuners such as those by Sangean. Now that I have an outdoor antenna (APS-9B), I...
  22. crooner

Scored Marantz Model 2 & JBL C50 Studio Monitors

The guy that I bought my most recent Marantz 10B called me today. He had a Marantz Model 2 amp and a pair of "huge" JBL Speakers. Rushed over to his place. This is what followed me home: The Model 2 is all original and in overall great shape, if not a little dusty. It was only a single...
  23. crooner

Marantz 10B power supply repair (pics!)

Hi fellas! One of my Marantz 10Bs recently developed problems in the power supply. One of the original filter cans failed. When I originally got the piece a couple of months back, I tried reforming the cap at lower voltages. The can got warm, but there weren't any shorts. A warm cap when...
  24. crooner

Got another Marantz 10B!!!

I'm still stunned. Can't believe I got this! Local purchase. Marantz 10B in "dusty as found" condition. Belonged to the estate of a doctor, so I was told. Came with all paperwork, including the inspection tag with all the measurements. Amazing!!!! I took a shot of both 10Bs side by side...
Back
Top Bottom