Search results

1. C

Vancouver BC / Lower mainland deal alerts

I believe they were a major line at A&B Sound for quite a while.
  2. C

Look like 105.2s to me. Very nice speakers.
  3. C

Anyone else a connoisseur of Root Beer?

Boylan does diet soda with Splenda. I haven't tried it myself, but if it comes close to their regular stuff you need to try it.
  4. C

Anyone else a connoisseur of Root Beer?

Boylan's is the only root beer I will never pass up buying. Though a couple others here have sounded good, too. But if A&W is the best root beer one has had, it is time to try Boylan's.
  5. C

Photo: Whatizzit ?

Portable Hydro-Electric Generator. You roll it into a stream near your campsite and then plug a power bar into the wire coming off the motor. Unfortunately, satellite TV hadn't been invented, so the device never became popular. My reasoning: The "buckets" have hollow sides, so it can't...
  6. C

Video Looks odd - Blue Ray

What you're describing is a common reaction to flat-panel 24 fps simulation modes. Most of them do computer generated frame interleaving to try and smooth out the picture, which results in an image that lots of people don't like. Personally, I'd rather they just repeated the frame 4 times or...
  7. C

Preamp/Processor Suggestions

Cool. Looks like Emotiva and Outlaw have new stuff on the way, too. The Onkyo/Integra looks cool (slightly prefer the looks of the Onkyo version) but I can't find them for sale anywhere! Are these only available in stores? I guess I'll have to wait till Emo and Outlaw get their new models...
  8. C

Preamp/Processor Suggestions

Sometime in the next six months I think I'll probably be buying a surround pre/pro. Ideally, I'd like copious HDMI inputs and two 6 or 8 channel analog ins, though one set would be acceptable. I'd like it to support all the new lossless codecs, and be able to decode SACD and DVD-Audio via HDMI...
  9. C

Blu-Ray Drive

That's what it costs. If you can return the drive, I would... although most seem to come with a stripped down version of PowerDVD that doesn't let you change many settings.
  10. C

Blu-Ray Drive

The drive ought to have included playback software, along with the driver discs. If not, yes, you need specific software for it. WinDVD is pretty good.
  11. C

For you guyes looking for a real computer rather than a wimpy netbook

Keep in mind IBM sold off its laptop division overseas, so whether it's cool or not there's no history backing up the brand name anymore. It's actually a Chinese-owned Lenovo Thinkpad. Seems hardcore, though.
  12. C

Emmet Otters Jug Band Christmas

I've never seen the video, but I have a much-loved copy of the book. One of my favourites for nigh-on twenty years :)
  13. C

Stereophile ad!

An attractive lady with good taste in music isn't rare among my peers. However, dressing like that to listen to music in one's own home is (I have been known to once or twice...)
  14. C

Uff da...

For five grand, it will be a fairly decent entry-level system, as long as he didn't get suckered into getting "spacesaver" speakers. Probably about $1000 went to the receiver, $1000 to the sub, $1000 to the front speakers, $500 for the center and $750 for the rears. Cabling takes up the rest of...
  15. C

Incorporating Internet in AV system?

I just set my brother up with an HTPC that is working out very well for him. He doesn't subscribe to cable, so its main duties are checking emails, surfing the net, and watching DVD and Blu Ray movies. I set it up with a passively cooled video card and some very quiet system fans, and it is hard...
  16. C

Blu-ray Problem

Are these the first movies you've tried to play on it, or have you previously been able to watch other Blu-Ray movies? How do you have the Blu-Ray player connected to your TV? How recently did you buy it, and how is the customer service at the shop you bought it from? Can you bring it in and...
  17. C

48 Khz Hi Fi ?

USB turntables are pretty rough. A USB soundcard would be much better. If you're looking to use the files on a MP3 player or if hard disc space is at a premium, go with 16 bit, 44.1Khz. You can use Audacity to record everything. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit.html...
  18. C

48 Khz Hi Fi ?

I haven't liked any Behringer product that I have used. 48Khz is okay, but not significantly better than CD. I would recommend looking for something that records in at least 96 KHz, 24 bit. M-Audio and E-mu make pretty well-respected PC cards for that kind of work in the sub-$200 range.
  19. C

New CD player vrs Old CD player

My understanding, which is very limited, is that in the last five to ten years DACs have gotten significantly better while transports have gotten worse. I think the best way to go is to get a respected and reliable transport and run it through a great modern DAC.
  20. C

Help ID these ESS speakers

Every time I see Rock Monitor I think Rock Lobster. AMTs are neat, I'd love to have something with them around the house. Just missed some 1bs recently.
  21. C

Kef 105?

That's too bad. You could try to find some woofers online, but it'd be a gamble. I don't know that I'd pay $100 for that pair. Err, I recommend not reading anything below the following quote. In any case, the price wasn't unusually good, and it's something to keep your eyes open for now. I...
  22. C

Kef 105?

$500 bucks is a decent average. They go for more sometimes, but once every few years you see a pair going for $250 as well. If you want some top-notch speakers to hang on to for a long time it's well worth it, but you probably can't make a profit on them if you pass them along. Anyway, the...
  23. C

I tried to get a buddy out in Chilliwack to follow up on it, but I don't think he did anything :(
  24. C

I've seen reports of that going around as the new white van speaker scam...
  25. C

Need help with a chord change.

If you want to train your fingers to operate individually, just do a simple pattern like this: e---------------------- b---------------------- g----------------------------etc D---------------------5-6-7-8-------------------------- A------------5-6-7-8----------------------------...
Back
Top Bottom