Search results

1. ReggieD

Fisher and Altec

Nice I’m re-reading the Dave G. Mod post. I get it better than before but still outside my skill set and full understanding.
  2. ReggieD

Fisher and Altec

Thanks Nyjblbob, Yeah these Carmels are in pretty nice condition so I won’t do anything that changes that. But bi-amping with external crossovers could be an option worth experimenting with, I’m looking at long term options that optimize what I have. The Fishers do well with the Altecs. I could...
  3. ReggieD

Fisher and Altec

Nyjblbob, yes the crossover are N-800-F and I believe they are original and untouched. 804 compression driver, 811 horn and 414z woofers. I’m surprised how much detail and soundstage satisfaction I’m getting from the fisher combo. But I like to explore my options for best sound from what I have...
  4. ReggieD

Fisher and Altec

Early impressions: I have been using a single ended low watt amp on my new to me Altec Carmels. I am in a small room so figured the 45/2a3 amp would be best with the high sensitivity Altecs. But I know people often give these speakers more power. So after a while with the SET amp I decided to...
  5. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I’m running narrow baffle zenith 852 w/alnico magnets over alpha 15 in h-frame. I don’t think I’m experiencing any back wave cancellation and like others have said it’s the best sounding speakers I’ve heard, at least in my setup. Sometimes I have them close to the wall to child proof and they...
  6. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Finally finished up my h-frames.
  7. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I guess the node 2i will be my next audio purchase. So I can stream hd more effectively/efficiently.
  8. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I have been assembling what I think are the best combinations of my components and soon will finish my h-frame boxes to add to the mix then I need to figure out tweeter integration for my zenith ob’s. I have zenith console tweeters that I will try first. I will hopefully have pictures soon. I...
  9. ReggieD

Fisher KM-60 Advice

I think I’m a little handy but I’ve never done any electronics work yet. So I’m not sure I know enough and only have a soldering iron. I have an art background so a steady hand is a trait I have but so far I’ve had technicians update my equipment. Here is a photo of what the tech said he did. I...
  10. ReggieD

Fisher KM-60 Advice

So I live 16 miles from downtown Chicago and my newly restored KM-60 is having trouble pulling in stations with a dipole antenna, the strongest signal I get is a 3 and the stations have some static. I attached a Winegard HD-6010 and just set it up in the yard to test and not any better. I’ve...
  11. ReggieD

Fisher KM-60 Tuner Test Drive?

Thanks Larry for the helpful information I have five tube shields with the unit I will polish them up before putting them on.
  12. ReggieD

Thanks Al, That’s what I was figuring. I don’t have experience working on gear I’m learning what I can but yeah still a rookie. I’ll just admire its looks for now.
  13. ReggieD

Would it be a bad idea to connect my newly acquired km-60 (from a popular auction site) to my Fisher 400cx, plug it in and see how it sounds. Or maybe I should leave it alone until I can bring it to a technician this weekend. Also any feedback on its condition would be appreciated, I’m guessing...
  14. ReggieD

Fisher 400cx

Hahaha thanks Larry!
  15. ReggieD

Fisher 400cx

Hi all, Thanks for this feedback! Since I have the original transformer would it be easier/ cheaper/ better etc. to have it rewound or better... to have Heyboer make a new transformer? I plan to call Heyboer and Trancendar to hear what they say. It’s good to have options. My wife and I are proud...
  16. ReggieD

Fisher 400cx

I have been using my Fisher SA-300 with the pioneer sx-850 pre-out as preamplifier but I was hoping to try a tube preamplifier. After reading everything I could find on the 400cx was excited to purchase an all original fisher 400cx (not cx2) off eBay. Having a preamplifier that would have been...
  17. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I currently use the 49cz873 and they do sound very similar to the 49cz852 to my ears anyway. Hope your enjoying the new drivers! Feeling proud of my new little project, I built a chassis for my Magnavox 8804 console amp. Ordered a Magnavox badge on eBay to finish it off. I will be trying a...
  18. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Like others here I have vintage zenith speakers. I have the 49cz852 and 49cz873. I’m currently running the 873 open baffle and with subwoofer. I want to do something different with the extra pair. I know this is the open baffle thread but any thoughts about the zenith speakers in an onken...
  19. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

I think you should run them for a month before you assess harshness. I have 49cz852 and 49cz873 I think the only difference is more base from the 873 round magnet.
  20. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

That would be cool to hear your results. The zeniths can have some harshness that should go away as they break in, it can take a long time so let them run as much as possible. When they smooth out they are very impressive. I run mine in open baffle with subwoofer support. If I get a SET amp I...
  21. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

So 96 dB sensitivity is based on Glow in the Dark audio website and he seem to be making an estimate. I’m currently pushing them with a console amp about 5 watts and I have tons of headroom. I want to get a set amp probably a decware se84ufo I suspect it will drive the zeniths easily.
  22. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

96 dB it would be much louder than than the 86db pre watt per meter
  23. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

24. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Hi opa1 those speakers look sweet and I’m sure they sound sweet too. One thing about the zenith speakers they need significant break in time assuming most have sat dormant a long time. I read an earlier post where someone was not getting the sound they expected from their zenith speakers maybe...
  25. ReggieD

Open Baffle Epiphany!

Well I I don’t think it has changed that much but not something I was trying to closely compare so ymmv. For my system I will probably go back to incorporating the subwoofer because I don’t think it takes away any “magic” but that might be different with a set amplifier. I’m currently using a...
Back
Top Bottom