Search results

1. D

What are some of the most over-the-top, obnoxious looking components from the 80s?

post pictures This was actually something that I sold sometime back. While it looks like cheap BPC, the thing was extremely heavy and the pieces were separates also AFAIR.
  2. D

What are some of the most over-the-top, obnoxious looking components from the 80s?

I know, it is not the most aesthetically pleasing piece of stereo gear out there. And that is putting it kindly. Though it works great and is a workhorse.
  3. D

Here are two entries, both from my personal system. One is a Kenwood TT that is a linear tracker that actually opens up vertically via a motorized door. The cassette deck is a Marantz that ‘might’ look cheap, but is on par with the Nakamichi Dragon.
  4. D

Anybody into Quad audio here?

I have built what is essentially a modern day version of those old 4 channel audio scopes but using some LED VU meters that I got off of EBay. Also I scrounged most of the other parts for it from around the house. It has had a couple of improvements since finished, mainly cosmetic, and I am...
  5. D

My video series on pre-recorded audiophile cassettes

I remade the video into one longer one instead of three short ones. I made it a bit more concise and a bit less casual. Will delete the old videos.
  6. D

My video series on pre-recorded audiophile cassettes

I had wanted to do this for awhile and I guess that the lockdown prompted me to do so. The videos are not flashy or well produced but they should be informative. I have a lot of tapes that the average audiophile type might not have known about so from that perspective the videos should be of...
  7. D

Old JVC receiver hum at line in?

Yeah I think you are right. I isolated the offending component that was making the most hum and connected to another receiver. No hum. So the problem must be a loose wire or bad solder at the back of the receiver where the inputs are. Since I would rather it done right and have my recieiver...
  8. D

Just to update I grounded the receiver at the outlet (it is the old style 2 prong cord) and that helped with the hum when just a RCA cable is attached to the line in, but there is still a noticeable hum when a componenent is attached and on. I have the 2 pieces plugged into different outlets...
  9. D

I have an old JVC stereo receiver that has developed a hum ONLY when another component or even just a cable is plugged into the line in’s. I had an issue where I ran out of outlets and attempted to use the switched AC outlet on back of receiver and it was semi-loose and arced. Everything went...
  10. D

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

I am talking about TOTL cassette decks here. Sure there are plenty of decks there, but from my experience the really nice ones are MIA for some reason.
  11. D

Weird issue with Zenith 8-track Receiver??

Forgot to mention that the Zenith has two sets of quad hookups.......tape and aux. On both the same front right channel is very weak. So it can’t just be the one set of RCA in’s that the tape deck uses.
  12. D

Post a Picture of your Tape Deck - Decks

Someone mentioned looking for decks locally on Craigslist, etc. I can tell you from my experience that good tape decks on Craigslist are pretty much non-existent. You will find loads of “duel” (I’m not joking they spell it like that) and bottom-end units but for some bizarre reason no really...
  13. D

Weird issue with Zenith 8-track Receiver??

I recently bought a 4 channel Zenith Allegro Quad AM/FM receiver. In beautiful condition with the ‘digilite’ tuner. I soon realized that one of the four channels was bad. The sound on that one channel is very, very faint. I tried cleaning the heads numerous times and even went so far as...
  14. D

Zenith 4 Channel system with a few ‘minor’ issues. Any ideas?

I thought of that but I moved the RCA cables over to the AUX input and still the same. I am pretty sure that the problem is more involved than just a cleaning unfortunately. Thank god I live in a populated area and can likely find someone to fix it eventually. I would sure hate to ship it as...
  15. D

Faderlube........sounds German! Thanks swechsler, will look into it. BTW I love your profile picture. My favorite album of all time. I dated a woman a few years back and we had been seeing each other for a few months when she threw out the little nugget that she had seen that tour when she...
  16. D

Hi tcdriver. I have checked both the headphone jack and rear speaker outs. It is definitely the amp because I tried FM stereo in “Matrix” mode and nothing from the right front. I initially thought it was the right back speaker that was out but that was before I figured out I had the cables...
  17. D

Hi, I recently picked up a vintage Zenith 4 channel casseiver with Quad 8 track player. I believe it is an “Allegro” but not branded as such. It does not have a turntable built-in but just AM/FM stereo with the tape deck and provisions in back for phono, etc. When I bought it the belt was...
  18. D

How did anyone afford gear in 70's-80's??

My first stereo was a all in one Sanyo with cassette and turntable. I talked my dad into co-signing a loan at Jafco and I paid it off with funds from my paper route. This was about 1979 or so and I had the new Rush album Permanent Waves that I played to death on that thing. I actually saw the...
  19. D

Anyone care to add their two cents to this drama/mystery (EBay deal gone bad)

I have seen a marked decline in dollar amounts on EBay sales the last few times that I have sold. I am not in ‘business’ but more of a hobbyist who tends to overcollect. Things that used to go for crazy money now barely get a look. I am not the first person to complain about EBay and their...
  20. D

Yeah, but it kind of sucks that EBay forces sellers to sell items as broken just to avoid their draconian rules. Maybe they want to be more like Amazon and guarantee returns but it is hard for even reputable sellers to essentially guarantee 40 plus year old electronics. I have bought numerous...
  21. D

Anyone got any Shortwave radios?

I own a few but my prized one is my ‘portable’ Panasonic RF-9000. I was chasing one of these ever since I got into the hobby some 25 years ago. The tagline was something like “Costs you a fortune but brings you the world” or something like that. This one is not mine but is in a tad nicer...
  22. D

It’s a done deal. EBay already refunded him, though he did send it back on his own dime but still seems to want to be reimbursed.
  23. D

I know that EBay is geared more towards buyers but we had a few genial conversations previous as mentioned and I told him that I was only selling it to fund needed car repairs. I definitely wasn’t trying to get over on him or anyone else, and he seemed like a good guy. But yeah, I have no idea...
  24. D

I sold a first generation Denon CD player on EBay recently. You know, one of those vertical loading ones, and it was recently serviced and in near pristine cosmetic condition. I sold it along with the first commercial CD, Billy Joel 52nd Street. I described that it was finicky and really only...
Back
Top Bottom