Search results

1. Arthur Smith

Showing My Thrift Store Pioneer Elite CD Player

The best $6 I ever spent.
  2. Arthur Smith

I hate CD Players, but.....

I do love this new-to-me Pioneer Elite PD-65, which I bought today at the local Savers for $6. Yes, it works, Not only does it work, but it sounds spectacular. And the rosewood panels add a touch of class. It is a tank. Very warm sound, with none of the harshness associated with many CD players.
  3. Arthur Smith

A Colossal Thrift Store Score- Infinity RS-425's In The Box

Went to the Savers in the city I used to work, looking for vinyl. Found a couple of albums. Went to the back of the store to look for audio gear and speakers. Other than a ratty looking pair of Boston Acoustic floor speakers. On the way to the registers. to pay for the albums, I spot a box near...
  4. Arthur Smith

Goodwill Technics SL-23

Yesterday, I picked up an SL-23 at the local Goodwill. In beautiful condition, I did all the usual clean, lubricate, and adjustments. Belt was melted into tar, and cleaned the residue off the inner platter. Yes, I shot the pots with Restoration In A Can, aka DeOxit D5, as well as the speed...
  5. Arthur Smith

A good way to play a mono record with a stereo cartridge-Video

This may help you.
  6. Arthur Smith

Rectilinear XI Speaker Demo Video

My second restored pair, in a 20 minute demonstration! On an Onkyo TX-810.
  7. Arthur Smith

Jazz Music Demo of my Minimus 7's, Post Recapping

8. Arthur Smith

Rectlinear XI Bolt Designs- WHY?!

I have two pairs of Rectlinear XI's. I love these speakers. But while one pair I own has woofers mounted with traditional flat head bolts, the other pair is a different animal. The woofers are secured with inverse mounted bolts, mounted with the heads on the inside, and nuts holding them on the...
  9. Arthur Smith

Video On My 10 Buck Minimus 7's.

Picked up a pair of 7W (walnut) Minimus 7's for 10 Bucks. Before you start in about capacitors, fret not. I recapped them yesterday. No, new caps don't make them "sing", as they are used in a low pass filter only. Still, worth doing, and they are cheap enough. But, check this out-
  10. Arthur Smith

SX-424- Weaker Right Channel?

Trying to troubleshoot what is, to my ears, a weaker right channel. Have noticed this on both FM and in the Phono section. Yet, when i switch to Mono, both sides seem to be as loud. I thought it might be the nutty dual left/right volume control- pulled the knobs, reset them to zero, put the...
  11. Arthur Smith

Record Store Day, The Dee Gees

Hi, I did not go on Saturday, but I stopped off at the record store yesterday. They had a lot left over from RSD. I picked up Miles Davis' Champions. What was out was The Foo Fighters' Dee Gees release, a Bee Gees tribute. I think their masterful version of "You Should Be Dancing" is the Record...
  12. Arthur Smith

Pioneer SX-424- Thrift Score Of The Year (for me)-Stereo Light

Picked up a very nice Pioneer SX-424 at the local Savers last night after work, for $14! The in tact speaker terminal blocks alone are worth twice that in eBay economics. Replaced a fuse, did some basic cleaning. It works! All I need is one knob that was missing from the Bass, and the red...
  13. Arthur Smith

Comparing KLH Model 6's to Rectilinear XI's- a subjective A/B

Recently picked up and recapped a pair of Rectilinear XI's. Had bought a pair a few years ago, and the price on these was too good to resist. Hooked them up to my Pioneer SX-780, on "A", and my trusty KLH Model 6's on "B". Test album was Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On". May need to "Increase"...
  14. Arthur Smith

AT120 LP-USB Anti Skate "Work Around"

Lately, more so with "new" vinyl, the antiskate on my AT LP120 USB really has not been working. As a "workaround", this is what I have been doing- I place the stylus at the very beginning of playing, and have the turntable power off. I jack up the antiskate as high as it will go. Then, power it...
  15. Arthur Smith

Carver M-500T Rebuild- Options?

My beloved m-500T finally gave up the ghost, and now only hums. Yes, all the caps will need replacing, and maybe some basic troubleshooting. For those that have had this amp rebuilt, who are some of the technicians you may recommend? I know there is one place that will upgrade the power output...
  16. Arthur Smith

Rectilinear XI- More than one model?

I picked up my second pair of Rectilinear XI's at the local thrift shop. Between the first pair I got a few years ago, and this pair, now have two cabinets with working tweeters to make a usable set, which sounds great. I have seen online references to XI A's and XI B's. Yet have never seen...
  17. Arthur Smith

Replacement Lid Won't Stay Up-Pioneer PL-516

I have a nice "3rd party" replacement lid on my Pioneer PL-516. Maybe due to the increased weight of the lid itself, I cannot get the lid to stay up on its own, like the old broken lid would. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get the lid to stay up on its own? Using the stock...
  18. Arthur Smith

Recapping Rectilinear XI's- What will I need?

I have a nice pair of these, but want to put new capacitors in the crossovers. I have never opened them up. What caps will I need?
  19. Arthur Smith

Ken Burns' Country Music Soundtrack- Blown Away

I picked this 2 disc LP up at B&N over the weekend. I was truly astounded at the sound quality. Songs from the early 30's and 40's from Jimmy Rodgers and Hank Williams sound like they were recorded yesterday. Stereo songs like Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire, and Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man...
  20. Arthur Smith

Pioneer CT-F9191, Right channel recording levels, Dirty Pot?

Hi, so I was taping WAAF Boston's last night of broadcasting Saturday night. When I flipped the cassette, keeping the Rec levels the same, I noticed the right channel VU Meter's level went down significantly. If I stopped recording, powered the deck down, and moved the Line control back and...
  21. Arthur Smith

My Vintage Receiver Collection

A YouTube video here-
  22. Arthur Smith

Low Powered, Good Performing Vintage Receivers

I have started enjoying these, matched up with efficient bookshelf speakers, for the bedroom. I have a Sherwood S-7010, which was modded with a separate power switch, replacing the built in combo Loudness/Power nightmare. That drives a pair of Paradigm Titan v.3's. I got the receiver for free. A...
  23. Arthur Smith

Shure N97HE- I think I need a compatable cart- please help

Last night, I purchased a Shure N97HE hyperelliptical stylus, at a fantastic price. My intent was to use it with the 97xE cart I have. But now I am reading that the 97xE is not backwards compatible. Shure aficionados, please help me out here. What cart will I need to obtain to use this stylus...
  24. Arthur Smith

DJPre II Phono Preamp- 1st thoughts

I had this unit delivered yesterday. Some 1st impressions- It is good. I have not tried any other external phono preamps to compare it to. But based on it's own merits, for 40 some odd bucks, it represents an outstanding value. My receiver has a dedicated phono preamp, which has always felt...
Back
Top Bottom