Search results

1. B

Yamaha A-700

I purchased a brand new Yamaha A-500 integrated in 1983. Listed at $499 at that time. I seem to recall the A-700 initially retailed between $700 to $800. I remember wanting it but I was just a couple of years out of High School and could not find the money to get the A-700. Got one now and...
  2. B

Yamaha A 500 Integrated Amp and Speaker Compatibility

Saturday morning my neighbor showed up at my door with the amp. Fedex delivered it to the wrong address. My fault for putting my house number on the house and name on my mailbox. What was I thinking? It arrived intact and works fine. Just missing the buttons for Pure Direct Mode and Class A...
  3. B

Thanks. Yes, I contacted the Seller and he initiated contact with Fedex to get the ball rolling in an attempt to find out where it went. Just par for the course for my current location. Have had nothing but bad luck living here. Relocating next year to another area where I will be able to...
  4. B

I doubt my A 700 will arrive. Fedex seemingly lost it. Showed they delivered it to my door at 11:13 AM yesterday but I was home at the time and only 12 feet from the door and no one came to the door and left a box. I can always hear someone at the door when I am in the spot where I was at...
  5. B

I did note when running the E 800's Bi wired into the A 500 that the amp did get a bit warm. Not hot or even close but just a little warm. Swapped out the E 800's for the OM 10's, also Bi Wired and the amp was not as warm. For now I plan to keep the OM 10's on it and when the A 700 gets here...
  6. B

Thanks for the info Spark. I don't have the tools or experience to do the work suggested. But I may be able to find a tech in my local area that services electronics that can do this work. Will check into it.
  7. B

Thanks Spark. Will take a look inside. Will have it next weekend.
  8. B

On Ebay, I just found an A 700 from the same series and year as my A 500. Downloaded the manual for it and it says it will run 4 ohm speakers OK. That's good enough for me. Also it seems to be able to run in pure Class A power since it seems to have a switch allowing it to be changed from...
  9. B

Not sure about the new gear's sound or build quality. Read the new integrated amps use some plastic parts. Also, specs on the AS series are not as good as the A series from the 1980's. I would rather not spend a lot of money on a power amp right now either.
  10. B

I'll check Ebay to see what is out there from that series. I won't be losing the sound that's for sure. How about a AX500u from 1990? Noted someone paired 4 ohm Canton CT 1000's with that amp and he said it has worked fine for years. That amp has more power than my A 500. 85 wpc. Specs are...
  11. B

I received a reply from Tech Support at Yamaha. They do not recommend using my Jamo speakers with the A 500. While he didn't elaborate as far as the specific reason, he did say it is risky using a 4 ohm speaker with this amp. My guess is that since it could end up running at 2 ohms at times...
  12. B

Spent some time looking at the manuals for the new Yamaha AS 301 and the older AX 596 integrated amps. It appears each of these amps is 4 ohm friendly. Have noted the cheaper Yamaha receivers are probably not.
  13. B

Thanks Racer. Yes, I have this manual and it is a bit ambiguous as far as using 4 ohm speakers. They don't seem to recommend them but they don't seem to discourage their use either. I decided to send an email to Yamaha to see what they recommend. I noted amps and receivers from the 90's...
  14. B

johnda. According to the Yamaha website your RS 201 is rated down to 2 ohm speakers. Plenty of wattage to run 4 ohm speakers if you choose based upon what I know now. I am running my Jamo E 800's at the 9 o'clock position on the A 500 amp and I don't seem to be having heat issues with the amp.
  15. B

Thanks DB. No plans to do so. My other speakers are Mirage OM 10's and Castle Conway 3's and I briefly tested them both with this amp but I preferred the sound I got from bi wiring those speakers with this amp as well. Have found the Tube Cube 7 I own can run both towers much better than the...
  16. B

Correct Avionic. Two very different amps and two distinctly different eras.
  17. B

Wrong amp. The amp I am using is the A 500. Built and sold from 1982 to 1984 if I recall correctly.
  18. B

Thanks. No plans to crank the volume with them. My typical listening level is probably about 9 o'clock with this amp. No plans to use two pairs of speakers either. Bi Wiring is more effective IMO at improving the listening experience.
  19. B

Uh, the A 500 Manual makes no mention of 4 ohm speaker use. I did mention that in the initial message. I simply posted the link for the amp to show its specs. That being the case I don't know why the genuine A 500 manual would not make mention of the use of 4 ohm speakers.
  20. B

I have a Yamaha A 500 Integrated from 1983 that I just matched up with a pair of used Jamo E 800 bookshelf speakers that I bought this week. The sound when bi wired is incredible for a speaker that retailed for $400 a pair in its day. But... I just noted the A 500 is rated for 8 ohm...
  21. B

Looking to purchase a new CD player

Just got a Topping D30 DAC for the Onkyo CD player. Initial impression is that the audio is very slightly smoother with the DAC vs. the built in DAC. I can tell this is a good CD player and I am not going to hear dramatic improvements to the sound which is already quite good. But my objective...
  22. B

reydelaplaya. Thanks for the suggestion. Will consider this for the future. Right now since I just bought the DX702 I will be set on the CD player end for a while. Units from that era were very well built and should last decades. Works perfectly and the sound is good though I will be adding...
  23. B

Need a dac

I appreciate the additional information. This is something new to me. Just got my Onkyo DX702 hooked up and it sounds very good already. Hard to believe this things is almost 30 years old. Will do a comparison with the Yamaha S300 on the weekend when I have time. Currently sounds great on...
  24. B

Rybeam. Just found a used Onkyo DX702 for almost nothing on Ebay. Just got it hooked up. In very good condition and it sounds great. Much better sounding than the cheap Teac I mentioned. The DX702 has a Toslink output which I plan to use.
  25. B

Need a dac

Just curious. Does the Modi Multibit use a newer chip than the D30? That one is at least five years old. Good sounding but perhaps getting a bit dated now.
Back
Top Bottom