Search results

1. Johncan

What is the sonic difference between an Ortofon OM5E and OM10?

What is the sonic difference between an Ortofon OM5E and OM10? The specs look almost identical. Thanks!
  2. Johncan

Rek-O-Kut R34 help needed to remove excess rumble

I have a vintage Rek-O-Kut R34 turntable. It is a belt driven model with a suspended sub-chassis. The underside resembles an AR XA. The tonearm is a Rek-O-Kut S-340 (a modified version of the S-320). It has a Denon DL-102 mono cart. I have re-lubed the spindle, put on a new belt, and changed out...
  3. Johncan

Why? Speaker terminal on McIntosh seem reversed

Why do the speaker terminals on my McIntosh MAC4100 seem reversed. The terminal marked "right" goes out to the right, but when you face the front the of the receiver, it goes out to the left speaker. To have them be "correct" I would need the speaker wires cross over each other. Am I missing...
  4. Johncan

Need help - weird spiral scratch on rare LP

I picked up a rare record today that never had a digital release. The LP has a weird spiral scratch that prevents me from playing the last three tracks on side 2. I did see the scratch when I bought the album, but I did not think the scratch would be so bad. It looks like someone dragged the...
  5. Johncan

B&O Beogram RX versus RX2?

My first turntable back in the 1980s was a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2. I loved it for what it was. I sold it about 20 years ago. Currently, there are a Beogram RX and a Beogram RX2 for sale locally. Both have working carts. I would love to have a B&O turntable again for nostalgia sake. It...
  6. Johncan

Slight hitch in my Technics SL-D202 turntable

My Technics SL-D202 turntable has a slight hitch in it. When I move the tonearm over the platter, the platter starts up. However I feel some resistance when I get to the lead-in groove. Sometimes the stylus gets stuck in the lead-in groove when I let it down. It just stays there in an endless...
  7. Johncan

USC UltraSonic Cleaner, Record Cleaning Solution

Does anyone know anything about this spray? https://www.ebay.com/itm/USC-UltraSonic-Cleaner-Record-Cleaning-Solution-Spry-2-oz/203211382217 I have no affiliation with the product or the seller.
  8. Johncan

Signet SK305 Electronic Stylus Cleaner

I just found a Signet SK305 Electronic Stylus Cleaner at an estate sale. It came in the original box and included directions. The directions mention moistening the brush's surface with two or three drops of the Stylus Cleaning Fluid. However, the Stylus Cleaning Fluid was missing. Anyone know...
  9. Johncan

Grace 707 tonearm - Is Grace F8 or F9 the better mate?

I have a Fons CQ30 turntable with a Grace 707 tonearm. I would love to put a Grace cartridge on it. Is the Grace F8 or F9 the better mate for this ultra light weight tonearm? Thanks!
  10. Johncan

Pats Audio Rek-O-Kut headshell replacement

Does any have any experience with Pats Audio Rek-O-Kut replacement headshells? https://www.patsaudioparts.com/single-post/2019/12/27/Rek-O-Kut-Headshell Are there other sources besides eBay?
  11. Johncan

Recommendation needed for replacement Shure M91ED stylus

I am in need of a recommendation for a replacement Shure M91ED stylus. LPTunes is out of stock on the basic Jico replacement. Thanks!
  12. Johncan

Styli needed for an Empire 880P and a Stanton 500 MKII

What replacement styli do you all recommend for the following cartridges: Empire 880P Stanton 500 MKII Which early stereo cartridge do you like more - an Empire 880P or a Shure M3D? Thanks!
  13. Johncan

Rek-O-Kut tonearm ID help

I need some help identifying this Rek-o-Kut tonearm. It sort of looks like S-320 Micropoise, but not exactly. The mounting base is wrong. It is a suspended table and the tonearm behaves like an AR XA arm. Any guesses?
  14. Johncan

Is there a safe way to make my SME 3009 Series II Improved with a fixed head shell...

Is there a safe way to make my SME 3009 Series II Improved tonearm with a fixed head shell to a tonearm with a detachable head shell? Is this an impossible dream?
  15. Johncan

New find: Rek-O-Kut R34 turntable

I found this Rek-O-Kut R34 turntable today. It is a belt driven TT with a suspended sub-chassis. The underside resembles an AR XA. Overall, it looks really good. It needs some TLC, lube, and a belt. Anyone know the belt size? Also, can any ID the cartridge? It has no markings (just big...
  16. Johncan

Denon DL-102 weighs 13 grams - what tonearm can handle that

I had a Fairchild 412 with a Micro-Trak 303-A tonearm. I sold it off, but kept the Denon DL-102. I don't think I have a turntable in the house that can handle such a heavy cartridge. I know the turntables in my signature probably cannot. I am open to getting another turntable that could handle...
  17. Johncan

Technics SL-D202 counter weight is hitting the dust cover when down

I just picked up a Technics SL-D202 turntable. I put a Shure M3D cartridge on it. I have tracking force set in at 2 grams as measured by both an analog and digital scale . The counter weight is hitting the back of the dust cover when the cover is down and the record is playing. I assume this...
  18. Johncan

Dynavector P75 & 10X4 Mk II - will Phono Enhancer work?

I just got a Dynavector P75 Mk I. I have it paired with a recently retipped Dynavector 10x4 Mk II. The P75 is currently jumpered for MM and/or HOMC. Will I experience any improvement by jumpering it to Phono Enhancer? From what I have read the Phono Enhancer is really for cartridges with low...
  19. Johncan

Pickering V-15 brush does not clear the headshell

I recently bought a NOS Pickering D IV ATE stylus with the brush. I installed it on my Elac Miracord 50H II in a Stanton 600 cartridge. The brush does not clear the headshell. It seems to play fine. I have it tracking at 3 grams. Are there any issues with this?
  20. Johncan

Dynavector P75 Mk 1 - what am I doing wrong?

I just got a used Dynavector P75 Mk 1. I am getting nothing from the left channel. Are my jumpers set correctly for MM or High Output MC? See picture. I have tried two different turntables, different cables, and different receivers. Same issue on each one. Please advise.
  21. Johncan

Empire 808 cartridge with NOS stylus = fun

I had an Empire 808 cartridge laying around so I ordered a NOS 230 DE stylus from Gary at V-M Audio Enthusiasts. The stylus is made by Empire and has a diamond with 0.2 x 0.7 mil elliptical tip. I have it tracking at 1.75 grams. It outputs at 8mV which is more than other cartridge I own. It...
  22. Johncan

How do you store your loose cartridges?

How do you store your loose cartridges and loose styli? I need something safer than loose in an egg carton. Only a few are mounted in headshells and those are in Elac 50H headshells which are basically sleds. I am open to anything safe and not hideous. Thanks!
  23. Johncan

Systemdek IIX: Can I safely remove the o-ring on the subplatter

I have a Systemdek IIX with the metal subplatter. See the attached picture. I want to put an acrylic platter on the Systemdek, but the o-ring on the spindle is preventing me from doing so. The two acrylic platters I have tried get hung up on the o-ring and will not sit parallel to the plinth. I...
  24. Johncan

Two different Systemdek IIx subplatters

I never noticed this before. My two Systemdek IIX turntables have 2 different subplatters and platters.
  25. Johncan

How well do large canvas paintings work for room treatment?

How well do large canvas paintings work for room treatment? I have several large paintings (42 X42) and was wondering how well these compare to acoustic panels. Thanks in advance.
Back
Top Bottom