Search results

1. MSchott

Thorens.....what did I just buy?

Wow, deja vu! That arm was pretty much state of the art back in the day. I don't think I ever saw one on a TD160. Usually on a higher end Thorens of the time like a TD125.
  2. MSchott

Thorens TD160 question.

I have a TD145 MkII and it's up to speed in 1/2 of a revolution. At 33 1/3 RPM that's about half a second. My belt is about a year old and has a few 100 hours on it. Two seconds seems like a long time but I can't imagine it hurts anything. The motors on these old Thorens tables are very strong...
  3. MSchott

What's the best online store to buy new/used CDs?

I use Amazon, never an issue. Also a good source for vinyl.
  4. MSchott

Solid State and Tube Listener Challenge

Interesting conversation. There are so many variables and tastes that there will never be a consensus. A few months ago I switched from an Adcom preamp and Denon 200W SS power amp to a Jolida JD502B tube integrated. Went from 200 to 60 watts. Warmth is a term used to be describe the tube sound...
  5. MSchott

Five Vintage Turntables To Compare

I can only comment on vintage Thorens tables. I have a TD145 MkII from the late 1970's or so. It has never failed me in nearly 40 years other than the auto pick up and shut off which I need to adjust. I've replaced belts over the years as well as cartridges. Reliable as the day is long and...
  6. MSchott

Is it true that almost half of the people who buy vinyl don't actually play it?

Some albums are collectible. A large majority are not. I bought a used version in good condition of the classic Getz/Gilberto album. Paid about $32.00. I can't imagine that any album in my 300 plus piece collection of which most are 35-40 years old have any real value.
  7. MSchott

Is it true that almost half of the people who buy vinyl don't actually play it?

Is vinyl really collectable? Most vinyl albums were pressed in huge quantities so there is no rarity. Perhaps a NOS would fetch a decent price but nothing hugely significant. Collecting just to have and keep in the plastic makes no sense to me. I for one buy my vinyl to play. I just wish I...
  8. MSchott

What Famous Album Don't You "Get"

In general context is missing in criticism of many of the artists and albums listed in this thread. This doesn't mean you have to like them but understanding why Sgt. Peppers and Pet Sounds are so important is about the times in which the albums were released. Sgt. Pepper was the Beatles...
  9. MSchott

What Famous Album Don't You "Get"

I hear this a lot and about many artists. I don't understand it. I understand you may prefer someone else's voice but the meaning of the song is most important. No Dylan doesn't have a great voice, not even 40-50 years ago. But he wrote the words and expresses them better than anyone else.
  10. MSchott

Music you grew up on?

Being born in 1957 I became aware of music on AM radio in the mid to late 1960's. The Association, Beatles of course, I love the Monkees in Jr. High and graduated to classic rock and prog rock (ELP, Pink Floyd and Yes). A huge Dylan fan. My parents had a good Fisher system with record changer...
  11. MSchott

Does Rega;s bracing help with foot traffic vibrations and tonearm skips?

I don't expect any turntable to be able to dampen vibrations from a bouncy floor. My listening room suffers from this as the house is 56 years old and I suspect the hardwood floor has separated from the subfloor. It's fixable but not by me. My Thorens TT is on a 1.5" piece of granite and there...
  12. MSchott

New guy wants speaker advice, I can't wait for vintage to show up at thrifts

A friend bought the Elac B5's recently and they are incredible at the price. Just amazing.
  13. MSchott

Sarah Vaughan's amazing voice, Ruined by vibrato?

Sarah's voice was here instrument and the vibrato is integral to the overall sound and timbre. There is no Sarah Vaughan without the whole package. What made her great was the emotion she added to that instrument. My favorite album is the Rodgers and Hart Songbook. Perfection. Listen to My...
  14. MSchott

Glad to be here...

I hope to learn a lot here and contribute as I am able. I've been into hi-fi since my college days many moons ago. Until recently my stereo had been defunct in my basement due to a smaller house and a 5 year old son. It's now set up nicely in my living room. The Adcom preamp and Denon amp were...
Back
Top Bottom