Search results

1. Lucky Pierre

Old Receiver + Old Speakers = ?

Hi @caxton1476, I read your other thread with interest. Regarding this question, I believe the Nova 6s are ~88 db efficient. With the receiver being 7 watts, as long as the system is not abused it should be a fine sounding pair. If someone wants it LOUD, you would probably want to pair it...
  2. Lucky Pierre

Fell under the Moto Guzzi spell once again.

Beautiful bike! I am falling under the Ducati spell again. My first serious bike was a '92 Monster 620. I sold it after four years, and have missed it since. It's a long story, but I have my dad a '58 MGA for his eightieth birthday two years ago. Sadly, he can't get in or out of it, so I...
  3. Lucky Pierre

best Bluetooth for the home receiver?

sweschsler is right on. I have three systems set up with Bluetooth DACs to stream radio stations from a phone, tablet, or laptop to the stereos. I have Arcam, Dayton Audio, and Cambridge Audio Bluetooth DACs. You may come across a lot of opinions about Bluetooth sound quality, but for...
  4. Lucky Pierre

Mystery amp

Just chiming in that I find this thread fascinating. Lots of great knowledge here.
  5. Lucky Pierre

mouse house in amp

Thanks for reposting the pics. I read the whole thread but I was not prepared for what I saw :D I had to take our truck in today for a P1077 error. In addition to a bad relay, they found this:
  6. Lucky Pierre

Altec VOTT bookshelf speaker build

This looks like a cool little project. I would think, though, that you might have to modify the port--smaller maybe to better suit the cabinet. You might consider a KLH 12.5 driver. They are the 4" full rangers that KLH used in a bunch of different models. They are supposed to be comparable...
  7. Lucky Pierre

Altec Model 19 recap or GPA crossover

I think you can do it, lpcollect! Just remember: measure thrice, good drill, and sharp bits. If I recall correctly, I mounted mine about 4-6 inches from the bottom, with about 1" spacing between red and black. I also stapled black speaker cloth over the pink insulation in the lower chamber...
  8. Lucky Pierre

Craigs List Find

Gotta live the Great Cookie Barter System! Congrats!
  9. Lucky Pierre

Mine did not have risers, either. They are on furniture dollies right now. I think the risers make enough of a difference to have some made, which I plan to do at some point. I installed 5 way binding posts in the back of the cabinets. I recommend you do this while they are open. It's super...
  10. Lucky Pierre

I found this cool RCA box. What was it for?

See my earlier comment. A slide box would have slats like this: (pic taken from the web):
  11. Lucky Pierre

Noticeable improvement. There is someone on ebay that sells replicas
  12. Lucky Pierre

I am pretty sure I used Audyns. See here
  13. Lucky Pierre

I considered the same for my 19s last year. I decided to recap myself. I couldn't justify the cost of the GPA crossovers, and I did not want to change the sound in any way. Made a world of difference.
  14. Lucky Pierre

I found this cool RCA box. What was it for?

microscope slide box would have the slats much closer together. maybe only 1-2 mm spacing between each slide
  15. Lucky Pierre

Realistic Minimus 7s - are they really any good?

I have a pair of Minimus 7s and 18s as fart around speakers. I think the 18s sound quite a bit better. Larger cabinet (relatively) and possible a Fostex full ranger. That being said, I have a few other small speakers that sound significantly better.
  16. Lucky Pierre

JBL 4311B L-pad--how to open?

Thanks!! I did manage to open one of the l-pads, but I cannot take it apart to repair. SO, the 15W replacement it is, then.
  17. Lucky Pierre

I tried this. Once I bent the tabs I still could not remove the metal back. I can't even get a small thin screwdriver between the metal and plastic to try to force it off. What are the implications of replacing the 50W original with a 15W?
  18. Lucky Pierre

Greetings, Is it possible to open the l-pads to repair them, or should I just replace? Can anyone direct me to the proper replacement for these? And is the shaft length 3/4" (end of the threads) or 1 1/4"
  19. Lucky Pierre

Need help with garage setup...

That sounds like a fine garage system to me!
  20. Lucky Pierre

Silent tweeter after recap KLH Sixes

When I refinish, after sanding to 180 or 220, I like to apply the first coat or two of oil with 220 grit sandpaper. I flood the surface then rub in gently with sandpaper with the grain. Let sit for a few minutes (up to 15 if the oil is still wet) then buff out with clean soft rags. After the...
  21. Lucky Pierre

Sansui 881 receiver

I have an 881 as my garage receiver paired with original CSW Ensemble system. It's really nice, even if those speakers don't bring out the best.
  22. Lucky Pierre

At what temperature do you solder?

Thanks all. There is some great info here. The two kits referenced were my first time soldering on boards. New kits, nice robust boards and traces. The board on the VFD clock was really tight-775F let me be fast on, fast off. I learned how to do that building the amp kit. I was very...
  23. Lucky Pierre

Soldering in SI units? I approve!
  24. Lucky Pierre

WBT-0805. 4% silver, lead free. Once I got the hang of this solder the project went really well. It certainly helped me hone my soldering skills.
Back
Top Bottom