Search results

1. Tim D

Returning a Fisher KX-200 to its roots

Definitely a worthwhile project. They sound amazing when working right.
  2. Tim D

Hey onefitter, I've got an "ugly" KX-200 faceplate you can have for free. Just send me your...

Hey onefitter, I've got an "ugly" KX-200 faceplate you can have for free. Just send me your address and I'll pop it in the mail. It isn't physically damaged but has some weird surface stuff going on with it. It might just be the original clearcoat curling up all over it. If you are ambitious...
  3. Tim D

Returning a Fisher KX-200 to its roots

I'm still here. Good score. Once restored your gonna love it. Mine is out of rotation for a more newly restored Fisher 500B at the moment. I have promised the KX-200 to my son if he ever buys a house. (His apartment is too cramped to setup a system right now.) There is a story there about my...
  4. Tim D

Realistic LAB-500 vs fisher MT-6225

Have a LAB-500 in the queue and recently let a Fisher 6225 get away in an auction. Love the comparison. Why do you think the Fisher wins on the tonearm?
  5. Tim D

Worth of Pioneer SA-400

Yeah, you've revived a thread going onto 20 years of age now. These aren't so rare if you include that they were also rebranded and sold under the Allied/Knight name. Those versions seem to be somewhat plentyful. I have a couple of the Allied amp and tuner versions in the queue to be restored...
  6. Tim D

LAB-395. 'Crunchy' tonearm movement.

Most of the service recommendations I've seen want the TA bearings to be dry. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP's TT, but beware of adding oil unless an expert says it is ok. Oil tends to coagulate, collect dust/dirt and provide drag via viscosity (no matter how light is the oil) and...
  7. Tim D

Dual 1229 Anti Skating Interfering with Auto Start

Probably the steuerpimple is shot or you need to redo the usual service to clean and lube it properly. Dual changers of that era are dependent on friction in the right places as much as lube in the right places. There is a guy on vinylengine that sells a package with steuerpimple, grease and...
  8. Tim D

No transistors (seth)

I live opposite Seth on the Atlantic coast in Florida. I don't worry about bugs and gators. It's just a big petting zoo. They are so cuddly.
  9. Tim D

No transistors (seth)

Why don't you just PM him with the question? He's an AK member.
  10. Tim D

The Return of the Giant Hogweed or How I Fell Back into the Vinyl Rabbit Hole!

I love to hear such stories from fellow AK members about their trip down the rabbit hole. See you there!
  11. Tim D

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

Hey Chris, How about Shure M91? Not new manufacture but you can still find these at great (used) prices and styli of all kinds are readily available at the full range of prices. One of my go-to carts because they are so available, so affordable and so GOOD! BTW, I bought several of those...
  12. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

So, I obtained another motor courtesy of a kind AK member and that has fixed my problem. After doing the full service, the new motor is smoother and the W&F is hugely better at 0.05. It runs quiet and is probably the way that Dual intended it to be. Thanks everyone for your support. On to final...
  13. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

Thanks RWood. Exactly what I needed!
  14. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

So, I got ambitious and pulled out the drill press and drilled out the rivets holding the thrust bearing in place. Not much interesting to report. The little copper disk has stains on both sides, but there isn't any concerning wear on it. Also the felt ring is in great condition. I now just need...
  15. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

Thanks RWood, I've got Don's PDF, grease and steuerpimples for servicing Duals. Great guy. I'll go over to VE and look around for info on his kit. I've posted a WTB in BT for a replacement motor (or just the rotor) to see if I can skip past trying to work with the damaged shaft.
  16. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

Thanks! That's the kind or response that I've been needing. Seems I probably have a damaged shaft then. It's hard to see the disk through the bearing. The hole is only about 1/4" wide. I think I can see wear on it though. What I will do is to drill out the rivets and get a closer look at the...
  17. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

He are some pictures. Can anyone confirm that the bottom of the motor shaft is normal or damaged from these?
  18. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

Thanks analogadict, What's an "idler bush"? Did you mean bushing? I'll check the nylon clip and bushing. Good idea! I'm still hoping to hear from the Dual guys about that brass colored spot on the bottom of the shaft. Is that normal or a worry?
  19. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

The aftermarket tire is interesting. What is the source? I'm not seeing anything wrong with the current tire, but I've replaced lotsa tires on other TT's. My usual source is the VoM site. I'm still hoping to hear from the Dual guys about that brass colored spot on the bottom of the shaft. Is...
  20. Tim D

Dual 1229 Motor Question

I've been slowly restoring a 1229 that I picked up from the big auction site and the most recent item is that I'm wondering if I might have a motor issue. Here's what I'm seeing. I disassembled the motor to clean and oil the bearings and I noticed that on the bottom of the motor shaft were it...
  21. Tim D

Realistic Lab 500 Counterweight Question

Well, the Lab 500 arrived and it's going to need some work. The platter and parts of the gibal have pitting on it. The stylus is gone. The (fake?) veneer is missing from the front face under the controls and the dust cover has the usual scuffs. Who knows what else it needs. It starts and stops...
  22. Tim D

Dual 1229 - where this noise come from?

I find that if I have good connections from the cart to the ends of the RCA cables that frequently don't even need the ground connection. Chances are there is a problem in the audio path or at least that has been my experience. If you remove the sled from the tonearm, do you still hear the hum?
  23. Tim D

help identifying mid/late 1950s stereo console, tube, with Voice of Music turntable

Looks homebrew with the mismatched wood colors on the main cabinet and radio face; and the cabinet handles don't look like something you'd find on a console. Not to be picky but its' not stereo as the thread title might suggest.
  24. Tim D

Here's another thread about the counterweight on the Lab 500. I was just hoping that someone had a solution. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/increasing-counterbalance-weight-realistic-lab-500-feasible.405398/ I'm thinking that maybe some washer magnets on the back of the...
  25. Tim D

Thanks Montycat. I've seen posts where the Lab 500 was buit by Mitsubishi and has cousins sold under the ITT and Mitsubishi/Diatone names. Pictures of those cousins show them using SME type headshells. I'm not sure the tonearm is the same but I'd like to know if it is or not. It might just be...
Back
Top Bottom