Search results

1. D

Marantz manufacture dates

Thanks. Yes, I suspected the "0422" was April 22, but the "92" seemed less clear as Sept. 2. If it's known that they typically put the month/day as well as the year, then that seals it. Anyway, I'm glad they dated these units; I get alot of pleasure from knowing when these vintage units were...
  2. D

date stamps on chassis Tony and all, thanks for the tip. I looked at the pic you mentioned, and there the year appears on the meter housing. On my 2245 the year appears on the chassis, on the rail just above the tuning wheel. It says "1974 92". Not sure what the interpretation of the...
  3. D

Tom, thanks...I actually use classic-audio.com alot, but I'm looking for more specific dates. That site gives the overall years produced for a unit, like '71-'76, but I want, if possible, the month and year of the specific units I have. From the serial number on my vintage Pioneer, I can tell...
  4. D

There's a sticky thread in the Pioneer forum about how to date a Pioneer's year and month of manufacture from the serial number. Is there any way to do this for a Marantz, or does the manufacture date appear on the unit somewhere? I'm probably not the first to ask this...searched this forum...
  5. D

Pioneer Dates of Manufacture

Thanks for the chart, Doc. I have an SX 535 that I wanted to date...very interesting. It's a VE..., so May 1975. Pete.
  6. D

Vellum for Marantz Receivers

No problem, Chip. I beefed up my vellum post with some pics that may be of interest. One of the other suggestions here was to use "frosted mylar" (aka "drafting film"), and I got some and subjected it to some heat tests too and will put that in a part II. Pete.
  7. D

Obsessing about vellum and the quest for blueness....part I I'm replacing the vellum in a 2245, and I decided to play around with a few suggestions mentioned here for the paper. I tested out some new vellum and some baking paper. When I can find some frosted mylar, I'll add that to the mix...
  8. D

Time capsuling a Marantz (or other vintage)

Sure, I hear that. I'm not talking about using no vintage between now and then...just preserving one or two really good ones as backups for down the road. Relatively speaking, they're cheap and plentiful now, with lots of spare parts and people who can fix them. What will the situation be in...
  9. D

Time capsuling a Marantz (or other vintage)

I've been thinking lately that maybe I would box up and store one of my Marantz receivers for a *really* long time, like 10 years, 20 years, or more. That way, many years down the road, I would have a unit in excellent condition to enjoy for the rest of my life. These units seem relatively...
  10. D

skibjr, thanks for the pic. Very helpful. So the vellum covers the entire back of the dial plate and the idea is that it diffuses the light out (hopefully) evenly. So it follows that if your paper is too thin, you might see hotspots (i.e. lightspots), but that if the paper's too thick you...
  11. D

Interesting, fiddlefye. Since I don't think I've seen this stuff, a couple questions: What thickness, or is all pretty much the same? What color, or is all the same? Are there different finishes on the two sides, and if so, which side in? Any downside experienced? What about...
  12. D

Thanks folks. That's enough to get me going and it should be more clear when I get in there...(a 2245). I had the dial/tuner plate out recently in the 2226 I was working on, and that didn't appear to have vellum behind that plate. There was some black paper (about the consistency of...
  13. D

Greetings, I've been reading about vellum, and have a few questions: *Where* exactly is the vellum located? Is it attached to or does it ring the dial plate, or is it in the lamp housing? It's necessary to take off the dial plate, right? Also, does anyone here have any extra left over...
  14. D

Post Your Marantz Gear Here!!!

2270 2245 2226 2226B All in great shape except for the 2226, which I am fixing up. I got the 2226B this week, and I'm really becoming a fan of the B series. Aesthetically this unit just looks so beautiful, such a lovely shade of blue against the silver/gray dial plate, and those little...
  15. D

2226-Need advice on lamps, de-static technique, tuner pointer lamp

Possibly dumb question :nono: When putting in new lamps, do fingerprints on the lamps harm them in any way, or reduce their lifespan? On some electrical bulbs, it does matter. But what about for these lamps (in receivers in general). Thanks, Pete.
  16. D

Tuning Pointer Bulb - how do I replace???

Theoberheim, I have exactly the same problem on a 2226 model I'm working on. I just got that black housing open but it isn't easy. It sounds like yours is similar to mine. The 2226 has a square black cap with lips coming down from the top on the left and right sides (if you're facing the...
  17. D

Thanks for all the advice, guys. dgwojo has some lamps on the way to me, and I took it from his picture that the one w/ the black leads is the one I need for the tuner pointer light. When I get the lamp I'll tackle how to open the black plastic housing that holds it, and try not to break the...
  18. D

Avocado, Thanks very much; this helps quite a bit and can get me started. I'll relook at the housing for the tuner "pointer" I mentioned in my #2 and see if I can get that housing open. Any further suggestions will be appreciated. I realize at least a few of my questions probably get...
  19. D

2238B near finished

Looks beautiful.
  20. D

Hi folks, I'm a newbie here and a newbie to working on vintage receivers. I have a 2226 that needs some TLC. I got it used and it works, but some lamps are out and most of the buttons and the vol knob are very staticy when used. The unit shows evidence of being kept in a very damp...
Back
Top Bottom