Search results

1. RunOutGroove

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

I feel like there are many "Bijou Theatre." I know that I've been to one of them... many times. I wonder what the thinking is? Maybe it's a kind of, "What should we call our theater? Maybe something a little arty and European sounding... how about 'The Bijou?'"
  2. RunOutGroove

Love that film and the soundtrack! Some of the best film making and best music of the era... I agree too, about the music in general in that era. There was much more than just the stuff that was popular on MTV. I kind of feel that MTV was such a singular force in the culture that it gave lots...
  3. RunOutGroove

I sure love the old Roxy Music stuff! My favorite, other than their debut LP, though is Siren.
  4. RunOutGroove

How "analog" can digital music sound?

This stuff has been gone over ad infinitum, but I'll say once again that I feel that the potential of digital eclipses that of records, and why shouldn't it as it's a more modern, tech. So much of what folks experience personally, comes down less to the potential of each, but what level of...
  5. RunOutGroove

I think that there's little debate that both LPs and digital can sound great and that certain copies of albums sound better on one format or another... so all that kind of fits into the "goes without saying" category. What's being debated though is which format, on a fundamental level, is...
  6. RunOutGroove

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

I have to wonder... if you have really efficient speakers, what benefit there would be to having some super-powerful amp to drive them? A friend of mine who seems to have more dollars than sense, has a really great system and even though he's using these very efficient Pure Audio Project open...
  7. RunOutGroove

Want to hire a band?

Remember though that those rates were good money back then. I'm kind of surprised that a band like Fleetwood Mac would top the list as far as rates though. I dig the old Peter Green era of the band, but I didn't think that they were so popular, even in the UK that they would be top of the heap...
  8. RunOutGroove

Gustard H10 with Sundara?

Yeah, I wasn't able to find that one spec on it, but I did read other stuff that says that this amp is particularly powerful and works well with harder to drive phones like planars. The headphone jack on my old Marantz amp does make the Sundaras sound pretty good, but I can't help feeling that I...
  9. RunOutGroove

Yeah, that really is a special album. I like other stuff by the band, but that one stands alone as a masterpiece. All those aforementioned albums were what the 80s represented to me, music-wise. Folks think of 80s music as the kind of super-slick, super commercial music that was played lots on...
  10. RunOutGroove

I agree with you about the whole digital production thing, that unless your style of production relies really heavily on various kinds of distortion introduced by tape, that at this point in the game it can be just as musical as tape is. It may be possible too to imitate the sounds of that...
  11. RunOutGroove

How do we know what adjustments were made with the mastering for each format and how do we take into account differences in playback gear for each format? I think that with all of the potential variables, that it's pretty difficult to make a good comparison. A better comparison would be to have...
  12. RunOutGroove

Fun Factoid Of The Day

The NPR series, Tiny Desk Concerts was created by a guy, Bob Boylen, who in the 80s had a band called Tiny Desk Unit. I never saw the band perform, but I'd see their posters on phone poles around Baltimore and DC (I grew up nearby). I remembered the name because I always thought that it was...
  13. RunOutGroove

I saw them on that tour as well. I like the band, but am not anything like a mega-fan and never heard that album (at least not allthe way through). I'll have to look for a copy. I have this double record LP of their early stuff called Purple Massages, which I really like. It's not quite as heavy...
  14. RunOutGroove

"AM Stereo" - The Forgotten, but Perhaps Superior Medium

Huh... do most AM stations broadcast in stereo? I wasn't aware that any of them do or that most receiver units are designed to deal with that. My experience with AM has been that stations tend to be really noisy... very low-fi. More than that, whenever I've tuned in (and it's rare for me even...
  15. RunOutGroove

I dig Roxy Music and discovered them a few years before this album came out, when I bought their first, self titled album, just because the cover looked interesting and because it was in the cheap bin at the used record store I used to frequent. I didn't have a lot of love for this one though...
  16. RunOutGroove

There was a lot of great music at around that time, at least to my ears. I could probably name lots of lesser known, but great records that came out in those years. here are a few favorites: minutemen - Why Does a man Start Fires and Double Nickels on the Dime Not really so obscure in many...
  17. RunOutGroove

Since they aren't talked about much....Grado

I had a pair of SR-60 phones, that I had for years and honestly didn't use much, that I gave away when I got my Sundra phones. I like the Sundaras far better, but it's kind of an unfair comparison as they're much more expensive phones. There was something about that character of the Grados that...
  18. RunOutGroove

Gustard H10 with Sundara?

I have a pair of HiFiman Sundara phones. They sound good, but I wonder if I could make them sound even better with the right headphone amp? I had a Schiit Vali amp that sounded good with a pair of Sennhieser HD600 phones that I had, but it sounded underwhelming powering the Sundaras, so I ended...
  19. RunOutGroove

Power conditioners Snake oil?

I have a similar kind of thing hooked up in my system, might even be the same model, I don't know. I bought it as I was using a plain old power strip, but ran out of outlets and this thing had more of them as well as protection and conditioning features. I also have a PS Audio power conditioner...
  20. RunOutGroove

Most Average 90's/ early 2000's "Hard Rock" Song?

Most average? I would say pretty much all of them... I felt that by the 90s the whole "rock" thing had gotten really codified and so much of the music, if it didn't sound nearly the same, at least had the same kind of strained, angsty feel. I liked a lot of music from that decade, but it was...
  21. RunOutGroove

analog vs digital

This may be true, but that being said, since I'm not really into too much music that's even available on SACD (mostly classical, I think) and have no desire to build a colelction of these things (expensive), I'll likely never know the true potential of those things in my system. What I find does...
  22. RunOutGroove

analog vs digital

I haven't heard a lot of SACDs, but my player, plays 'em and I have checked out a few (my library has a small section of them). In toggling from regular CD play to the SACD function, I could hear small differences with some of the CDs that I checked out and others I couldn't really tell any...
  23. RunOutGroove

analog vs digital

I feel that only somewhat recently, with some upgraded gear, have LPs on my system been sounding as good as CDs. Though with the fact that I don't have too many recordings on both formats and with the vagaries of stuff like the mastering and pressing of each, that it's really impossible to do a...
  24. RunOutGroove

New vs Old in the real world (speaker edition)

Don't assume that a speaker that has more drivers is going to sound better. The reasoning for this is more complicated than I want to get into and I'm probably not he best person to articulate it, but 2 way designs can be great and some very expensive, very high end speakers are that design...
Back
Top Bottom