Search results

1. N

Realistic Fans

I just purchased one of those ( with power cable ) at a local SA after seeing favorable comments in Audiokarma http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/equalizer-suggestions.362837/
  2. N

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Really nice scores on so many Fender amps! If only my home state of Illinois had yard sales like that.:bowdown::( ..........just the kinda eras that turn up STG 44s , PPSHs , and stuff by Mikhail Timofeyevich Kalashnikov, too ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)
  3. N

I just quartered an old circular pine kitchen table purchased at SA for 0.69 cents one Saturday last month. Intending to strip the finish and construct a corner shelf for an Akai GXC 570D and Akai 260D with a Technics Sa 505A receiver ( unless I find a vintage Akai receiver at a thrift) Hot...
  4. N

BPC system? I'm getting there...............recently acquired a pair of black Bose 301 Series III speakers for $4.99 each to use with my Teac V670...............not yet sure about a receiver/ amp, though.:idea:;) Still gotta find decent wood finish bookshelf speakers for my 1970s receivers ...
  5. N

MSRP of $3,500 ?! Keep it. Ya won't be sorry.....:banana:.:music: Flipper would never be able to use it under water;)
  6. N

Wish my Karma were that good. Best I've been able to do so far was a 1973 Akai GX 260D with one 7 inch Realistic brand metal reel . The only reason I think I got the Akai was that cold, wet weather kept the Baby Boomer re-sellers shivering inside that day. That 20 Euros was well spent as I...
  7. N

That neighborhood has nice garbage ! The electronics in my area thrifts look like garbage.:naughty::eek:
  8. N

I don't re-sell, so what I buy will sit around consuming valuable space if I make a mistake. I've passed up a lot of stuff when I do not know enough about the product specs .......... ...............of course, with so many re-sellers bumping into each other in the stores these...
  9. N

Don't feel too bad. Ya can't get in trouble with SWMBO for not spending money............................. ..................unless you're a re-seller and SWMBO knows the Ebay re-sale prices for it. :naughty::whip:
  10. N

Congrats on that nice find !:banana: Technics silver faced receivers must have been very popular in the Chicago area ............ I've found three units in near new condition ranging from the SA 5270 to the SA 505 ............ I sure hope my luck continues ........... Those old Technics units...
  11. N

That was the commercial I remember ! Must have inspired by the Subway Sandwich founders. LOL
  12. N

Supposedly, AMC designed the car initially for a Wankel engine. I can't help wonder if a Wankel engine would have helped the car. Then again, I don't recall complaints about the engine; mostly about the heating effect of so much glass. I do remember an amusing commercial about the car, however.
  13. N

Guess I shouldn't be surprised..........trend has been that way with a lot of brick and mortar businesses.
  14. N

I've seen posts mentioning folks buying Akai 747 decks that don't work just to display with paintings and other trendy stuff. Dunno if true but people do buy expensive watches, cars, etc. just for bragging rights so why not "vintage" consumer electronics. Hmm.......lotta gun fights going on in...
  15. N

I see the same kind of records in local Chicago GW stores and must presume the resellers simply buy up the good stuff first before anyone else can look. One big problem in my area is the WalMart-i-fication of the Chicago area Thrift store market. Smaller thrift stores are closing down -...
  16. N

Only the local Chicago area GW stores.................the rest say no refunds. Unfortunately, GW stores don't receive all the good stuff. I bought an Akai GXC 570D cassette deck , Akai GX 260D R2R , Teac A 4300SX R2R and Teac A 800 cassette deck at thrift stores that do not refund purchases. My...
  17. N

Well, if I ever install an 8 track deck in my car wired to a pair of small speakers in the rear deck..............I know I won't need to worry about buying 8 track cartridges with that cassette adaptor.........:rolleyes:;)....
  18. N

I shall do so. The rubber roller that mates with the 8 track deck roller still turns the capstan on the adapter but the head looks like it was never cleaned of iron oxide tape particles. The instructions state the unit is powered by 12 volts ( off the car 8 track unit ) and warns damage to a...
  19. N

And speaking of gambling at thrift stores: Not exactly what I would consider a score by any means; more a curiosity.:eek: I bought a Made in Korea Kraco cassette to 8 Track adapter. Believe it or not.....................I never owned an 8 track car radio and do not ever recall seeing the Kraco...
  20. N

I gotta admit I'm not much of an expert on everything there, but I've only seen two R2R decks in that external condition in the Chicago area thrifts. As for messing up: don't worry about it. Buying thrift electronics without knowing anything about the product is - IMHO- gambling. I don't think...
  21. N

"Bout as long as it takes for a wily customer to swap the sticker for one that says $4.99.....:naughty::naughty: Seriously, I was talking to a re-seller while waiting for a GW store to open...............and was informed that one of the regular re-sellers was banned kuzz he was caught swapping...
  22. N

Free Recycling Finds? Nice !! I have an Onkyo ta 630D waiting for new belts...............gotta find time to clear enough wall space of books to set up a work bench for refurbishing my thrift store cassette decks. Finding it hard to sort out enough books for disposal, though.
  23. N

Oddly, I stopped at the SA store that sold me a functioning Akai GX 260D last November......hoping that lightning would strike twice in the same spot. No luck, but I did see two VCRs with CD player remotes taped to 'em.. ( different brands than the VCRs, too! ) .:no::confused:
  24. N

Good to hear your Nakamichi OMS-2A had the remote.:thumbsup: I picked up an OMS-2A for less than half that ( belt timing off ) but without remote. Given current Evil Bay prices for remotes, the Nakamichi remote was worth the price paid for both. Remotes bundled with any audio item are very...
Back
Top Bottom