Search results

1. cr4zyg047

KEF NT25 Tweeter Refurbishing (with Pictures) - and a question

Care to share a picture of your NT19? I've refurbished 3 NT19 tweeters, two from C55 era speakers and one from a model 100 center channel from the 90s. The C55 tweeters had extremely brittle diaphragms - which had actually disintegrated before I even opened them. I bought another pair online...
  2. cr4zyg047

Glad you guys have found this helpful! Forgot to post this comprehensive picture-tutorial I did a year or two back. Feel free to reply - I get emails when you guys leave messages. Always happy to help. http://imgur.com/a/4IOiN
  3. cr4zyg047

I used the ferrotec fluid from Partsexpress. I will say that I did some searching and merely opted for the easiest audio-quality ferrofluid to purchase. I don't think viscosity fluctuates wildly amongst ferrofluids for speakers - I'm sure it'll become less viscous as it dries up anyway ;) You...
  4. cr4zyg047

KEF owners thread

Great speakers - I have a pair of C55s that I use as surround left and right in my theater. That's about what they're good for, in my opinion. :) My 103/4 Reference speakers just sing after refurbishing the gross ferrofluid in the tweeters. They're entirely different speakers from when I bought...
  5. cr4zyg047

Polk LSi7 woofer produces poor sound initially...

If the 180 trick doesn't work - I would take the woofer up and test it (start at 0 volume) with the a direct connection to the receiver. It will sound muddier since it won't have a crossover-separated signal - but you could be able to determine if there's anything obviously occurring at...
  6. cr4zyg047

Hmmm - my next thought would be whether the passive crossover has a failed component - a faulty cap for instance. Hard to say, and I'd imagine the failure rate would be rather rare on a unit that recent, but it's always possible.
  7. cr4zyg047

Voice coil alignment I'd say. Either the higher volumes mask the problem - or it corrects the problem. Perhaps the higher volume produces a stronger magnetic force that helps correct for the alignment issue, or you're powering through the problem and doing permanent damage to the voice coil...
  8. cr4zyg047

Show us your crossovers and guts.

KEF 103/4 towers.
  9. cr4zyg047

With the 6 KEF tweeter's I've done, the fluid becomes suspended once it flows into the gap - towards the surface. there's no telling exactly how deep the fluid goes because it's mainly pulled towards the front of the air gap (so far as I've seen.) My rule of thumb has been to sink the vial...
  10. cr4zyg047

Once you've got it bone-dry/clean of any and all of the old fluid - you can start work on adding the fresh stuff. (I used the stuff from Parts Express by Ferrotec) I am not an expert - but I have done this on 6 KEF uni-q tweeters with great success... The fluid is magnetically suspended in the...
  11. cr4zyg047

The speakers are 20+ years old - you don't have much to lose by replacing it. You may have gotten lucky and had a unit that preserved the FF better - but in my case, the gap was relatively empty and tacky - whereas now the gap is now filled with fluid and is very smooth and lubricated. Clean...
  12. cr4zyg047

5.1 / 7.1 processor only

Holy shit, you're right - I didn't even know about the NR series. They look so... anemic.
  13. cr4zyg047

5.1 / 7.1 processor only

Ordinarily, I'd agree - but Marantz != Low End - I was just saying the "low end" models Marantz offers. Even their most basic model has 7.2 preouts. http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=avreceivers&ProductId=SR5010
  14. cr4zyg047

5.1 / 7.1 processor only

Even the low end Marantz receivers have preouts. Yes, it has an integrated amplifier - but you don't have to use it.
  15. cr4zyg047

Kef reference 103/4 muddy sound

Speak of the devil! I just installed these feet on my speakers today and didnt even notice this. I just ran downstairs, and wouldn't you know - you're right! Spikes are right inside the rubber! Lemme know when you consider doing the tweeter. I've refurbed 6 KEF tweeters, 3 different kinds -...
  16. cr4zyg047

So my neighbor called the cops. Again

Regardless of what music you pick - it must be blatantly obvious that you're doing it to annoy him. Pick a genre of music that you obviously wouldn't listen to if not to annoy the hell out of him.
  17. cr4zyg047

Blu-Ray Ownership Poll (Please Vote and Post)

I will continue to buy 1080p copies until they realize that they should be selling UHD copies with normal BD copies added in, much like normal BD ships with DVD
  18. cr4zyg047

Cable TV Digital Encryption

As a cord cutting millennial - we pay for a fast internet connection and use a relatives Comcast account to get live TV and video on demand from their website. Tossing a few bucks their way gets us what we want. There's an Android app that works on a few Android TV systems - but we have a HTPC...
  19. cr4zyg047

Cable TV Digital Encryption

They are just seeking more control - and want to force even basic subscribers to rent their set-top boxes. Sadly - you'll need one such box to access those channels, and you won't be able to take advantage of the integrated tuners on your recorders.
  20. cr4zyg047

HDMI Cables - worth the extra $$?

This is still more or less correct today - but DVD and Blu-Rays use YCbCr color space (4:2:0) Turning on Deep Color needlessly increases the amount of bandwidth being used to send the signal - increasing the chance of drop outs or exposing a sub-par cable. Just leave it off - the only stuff...
  21. cr4zyg047

KEF owners thread

Just a heads up for all you fine folks with Uni-Q drivers - I've finished refurbing the last of my tweeters and have found the following: Late 80's NT19 tweeters (from my C-55) Ferrofluid in dire condition - much overdue for replacement. I have four of these tweeters on hand - they are a...
  22. cr4zyg047

What's British in your system?

Rebuilt the tweeters in all of my KEFs. Pair of C-55's Model 100 Center Channel Model 90 Center Channel Pair of 103/4
  23. cr4zyg047

HDMI Cables - worth the extra $$?

When you buy more expensive cables - you generally get one of three things: Improved wiring gauge - improves signal to noise over longer HDMI runs (over 10-15ft) Improved construction - so you don't have the connectors spontaneously snapping off the ends of the cables if torqued Proprietary...
  24. cr4zyg047

My beast 51GWX20B at 235lbs still lives!

Is... is this your fetish?
Back
Top Bottom